Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2016, 09:44 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Corner crack in 645Z :( Bets on repair time?

So from some field trip or other, I've found that the upper rear left corner of my 645Z has cracked Any bets on what repair time for this sort of thing is @ precision?

Attached Images

05-21-2016, 10:40 PM   #2
CDW
Site Supporter

I have a couple of dings on the Pentax logo plate on the front of my 645Z. I'm not even going to consider a repair based on time and cost. At some point in the future when I sell it, I'll consider the appearance when I price the body for sale. I suspect you're looking at major bucks for a new body and removing/reinstalling all the innards. It may scare you.
05-21-2016, 11:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
I have a couple of dings on the Pentax logo plate on the front of my 645Z. I'm not even going to consider a repair based on time and cost. At some point in the future when I sell it, I'll consider the appearance when I price the body for sale. I suspect you're looking at major bucks for a new body and removing/reinstalling all the innards. It may scare you.
Quote from precision is $800ish. I care more about the time than the cost, though i'd be miffed if the repair cost is more than 1/3 a new body.
05-22-2016, 07:05 PM   #4

It doesn't appear that the crack has opened - is there any sign of dimension change, warping or potential alignment problem? You might considered using a steel powder filled epoxy to fill in the crack and strengthen the area.

05-22-2016, 10:16 PM   #5

Original Poster
fotophil -- it looks as if it is a clear shear/crack along the metal, no dimension change. There is a seal band under it though, so I wouldn't feel good just using epoxy -- and I plan on shooting places where I need the weather sealing, so I don't want to compromise that.
05-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #6

Do you know what caused the damage? Was the camera dropped or struck with hard object?

I imagine that the factory fix will include a new body so you don't have much to lose an epoxy repair fails. The epoxy material is high strength and waterproof so it should work fine. I the have done a lot of epoxy repairs and the key to success appears to be the bond quality so clean the broken surfaces before application. I would avoid the quick setting variety and focus on a metal powder (steel or titanium powder) filled epoxy system and completely mix the two parts prior to application. For less than $10 you can try the repair and if doesn't work just send the camera in for a full factory repair.
05-23-2016, 03:48 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fotophil Quote
Do you know what caused the damage? Was the camera dropped or struck with hard object?

I imagine that the factory fix will include a new body so you don't have much to lose an epoxy repair fails. The epoxy material is high strength and waterproof so it should work fine. I the have done a lot of epoxy repairs and the key to success appears to be the bond quality so clean the broken surfaces before application. I would avoid the quick setting variety and focus on a metal powder (steel or titanium powder) filled epoxy system and completely mix the two parts prior to application. For less than $10 you can try the repair and if doesn't work just send the camera in for a full factory repair.
I havent dropped this one, so its almost certainly from a strike of some variety.

05-23-2016, 08:58 PM   #8

Is the light colored material cast metal? Does this mean that the body is constructed of cast aluminum and can be damaged by impact? I had originally assumed (wrongly?) that the 645Z Body was waterproof , strong and really tough like a pro Nikon or Canon Body. Based upon your situation I am doubting the toughness - it looks like the 645Z Body may require careful handling. I don't recall that my old 645N film bodies were fragile.
05-23-2016, 11:15 PM   #9

Original Poster
@fotophil -- it looks like sintered magnesium alloy. fwiw, i am extremely hard on my equipment, i regularly take it into extreme and industrial climates.
05-24-2016, 07:43 AM   #10

The fastest repair I ever had on my digital 645 kit (bodies and lenses) was 8 weeks, the slowest 22 weeks. Most were 10 weeks. If this hit would take a body replacement, it might be straight forward enough not to have to go to Japan for the job. But I can't see that it would take less than a few weeks even so. If it goes to Japan, probably 2+ months.
05-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #11

Based upon your cracked body issue, perhaps the 645Z needs more protection in the field? In your experience with being extremely hard on equipment do you find the 645Z being more susceptible to damage than other professional grade cameras? Your cracked body has certainly opened my eyes and I am taking more care of my 645Z than before!
05-26-2016, 06:33 PM   #12

The Platinum Advantage coverage has a loaner program.

Advantage Program - Platinum | Ricoh Imaging
http://us.ricoh-imaging.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/RICOH-ADVANTAGE-PROGR...ONDITIONS.pdf/
05-27-2016, 02:07 AM   #13

Original Poster
If only you could buy into Plat Advantage with an ebayd camera...