Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2016, 07:28 AM   #1
Pentaxian

6x7 mirror stuck

Saw a 6x7 on local classifieds for $50USD. Description says for parts/repair, mirror stuck. I know it is really cheap, but I don't really want to get a camera that can't be fixed, as I just got a 645 and am busy with that. Is sticking mirror something that likely to be fixable?

thanks!

06-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 67 Mirror stuck up - Photo.net Medium Format Forum
06-08-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks! So it seems at best it is trivial, and in the worst case the solenoid might be busted. Do you know if it is possible to replace that?
06-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's possible, but you'll need a source for the part, which I imagine is no longer in production. If it turns out to be busted, contact Eric Hendrickson, since he has both the parts and the knowhow to fix this issue.

06-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It'd be the nicest score ever one would get if it ends up just being a small/minor (and cheap) repair.
06-08-2016, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
It'd be the nicest score ever one would get if it ends up just being a small/minor (and cheap) repair.
It would be indeed... I found a video on how to fix it, in case someone else needs it. Now that I look at it, there were quite a few threads about it. I should've looked more...

06-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Also, keep the shutter speed dial off any speed other than X or B when the camera is not in use.
01-30-2017, 06:28 AM   #8

It depends on damage type. It may be mechanical malfunction and may be electrical one. You cannot clearly determine what kind of malfunction camera body has until you get it in your hand. Try to meet with the seller for the first. When you will take a camera you have do the following: 1) take out the battery; 2) gently tap camera body from the bottom. If the mirror will return back -- you have problem described in the video above. I've repared two of my bodies with the same problem. In the result I've wrote an article about it: Pentax 6X7 & 67: Mirror stuck repair ? Sasha Krasnov

Otherwise you have rather a mechanical problem.

02-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Also, keep the shutter speed dial off any speed other than X or B when the camera is not in use.
I've never heard this advice before. Why do you suggest this?
02-01-2017, 05:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smigol Quote
I've never heard this advice before. Why do you suggest this?
It has long been a known fact (back into the 1960s), and is also printed in the Pentax 6x7 / 67 manuals, that leaving the shutter speed dial on any speed will lead to inaccurate shutter speeds. By association this can affect the mirror operation. Many photographers do not give their 6x7 / 67 cameras solid workouts (but a caution: that's to say nothing of the fact that the 1960s 6x7 cameras are not ideally suited to heavy work as they have probably seen decades of that in professional service) and leave them stored away for goodness knows how long; this latent storage is what causes derangement of shutter speeds, the shutter and mirror operation; (the mirror independently afflicted by "sticky solenoid" syndrome in very old 6x7 and to a lesser degree, 67 bodies). B or X is a safe setting for idle storage, but keeping the camera working every few days is the best preventation, and yearly checks of shutter speed accuracy are worthwhile too.

---------- Post added 02-02-17 at 11:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Saw a 6x7 on local classifieds for $50USD. Description says for parts/repair, mirror stuck. I know it is really cheap, but I don't really want to get a camera that can't be fixed, as I just got a 645 and am busy with that. Is sticking mirror something that likely to be fixable?

thanks!

As a post script to my response, you need to open dialogue with the seller on eBay about the camera, and the reason why the mirror is stuck.

Further, I personally do not recommend people purchase the 1960s-vintage Pentax 6x7 bodies because of their advanced age and by association, dubious reliability; the camera you are speculating on is likely evidence of this. These old cameras are frequently cannibalised for parts to repair others in for repair, including the newer Pentax 67 bodies; this "circular redundancy" adds a level of unreliability at each repair step; you simply do not know what is going to fail or give trouble. All of the cameras have seen heavy use when they were popular tools in studios and for weddings. That heavy use must be borne in mind when considering the likely service life now and into the future.
02-02-2017, 10:32 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
It has long been a known fact (back into the 1960s), and is also printed in the Pentax 6x7 / 67 manuals, that leaving the shutter speed dial on any speed will lead to inaccurate shutter speeds. By association this can affect the mirror operation. Many photographers do not give their 6x7 / 67 cameras solid workouts (but a caution: that's to say nothing of the fact that the 1960s 6x7 cameras are not ideally suited to heavy work as they have probably seen decades of that in professional service) and leave them stored away for goodness knows how long; this latent storage is what causes derangement of shutter speeds, the shutter and mirror operation; (the mirror independently afflicted by "sticky solenoid" syndrome in very old 6x7 and to a lesser degree, 67 bodies). B or X is a safe setting for idle storage, but keeping the camera working every few days is the best preventation, and yearly checks of shutter speed accuracy are worthwhile too.

---------- Post added 02-02-17 at 11:36 AM ----------

I checked in the manual for the 67 and found a slightly different piece of advice that noted that the drift happens when the camera is set aside with a cocked shutter. My guess is that friction alone can't hold the tension and the shutter may fail to trigger with the proper speed.

Either way, it's a good idea to never leave a camera cocked when not actively shooting.
Attached Images

02-02-2017, 11:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't wind on the last frame of a shoot if I can help it. Sometimes though the camera must wait.
This is just one of a few idiosyncracies of the Pentax 6x7 / 67 cameras, the other involving the aperture coupling chain safety in prism+lens mounting/dismounting/remounting.

"Exended period of time" could mean days, weeks or months ... nobody has really put a finger on a definitive answer. And there are millions of these cameras still chugging away afforded no special attention.

The engineering manual points to the resistors under the shutter speed dial (on the Pentax 6x7; I am unsure what changes took place here with the later P67 bodies).