Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2016, 09:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Lenses for 645Z

Hello all. Lurker, and first time poster here.

I just purchased a 645Z and a 28-45mm. I have been looking at them for awhile now, and after reading "Gyroscope's" in-depth review of the system.

My question is this, what other, more reasonably priced lenses, do you recommend me purchasing? I will be using this almost strictly for landscape so I already have the 28-45, but are there any more lenses I can pick up for cheaper to compliment the 28-45mm?

I already use my A7RII with a full compliment of lenses for my model work, and that was my go-to camera before for landscape.

Any help would be appreciated.

Vito

06-13-2016, 09:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I've used the following for landscapes to good effect:
DA 55mm
A 75mm
A 120 macro (it's also an excellent macro lens if you're into macro photography)
I've heard both the FA 45-85 and FA 80-160 are very good also if you prefer zooms.
06-13-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd love a 28-45 but I haven't been able to fit one into the budget yet. In the meantime I use the following, most of the time for landscapes. The appropriate FOV for a landscape is of course up to the photographer and demands of the scene.

A 35/3.5 - Great performer and small manual focus lens. The new AF version seems like a winner too.
FA 45-85/4.5 - Very good IQ but a bit susceptible to flare. I use mine frequently and am happy with the results.
FA 80-160/4.5 - Good IQ and a handy range for portraits. Nice for compressed landscapes.
A 200/4 - VERY inexpensive and somewhat maligned online although I find mine to be more than decent. It suffers from CA but that is easy to correct. Compact.
SMC 67 300/4 - Also inexpensive and good IQ with some manageable CA. Needs an adapter and is fully manual on our cameras. Nice rendering for the right shot. Big and heavy. The M* version sounds like it's easier to use.
06-13-2016, 10:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I'd love a 28-45 but I haven't been able to fit one into the budget yet. In the meantime I use the following, most of the time for landscapes. The appropriate FOV for a landscape is of course up to the photographer and demands of the scene.

A 35/3.5 - Great performer and small manual focus lens. The new AF version seems like a winner too.
FA 45-85/4.5 - Very good IQ but a bit susceptible to flare. I use mine frequently and am happy with the results.
FA 80-160/4.5 - Good IQ and a handy range for portraits. Nice for compressed landscapes.
A 200/4 - VERY inexpensive and somewhat maligned online although I find mine to be more than decent. It suffers from CA but that is easy to correct. Compact.
SMC 67 300/4 - Also inexpensive and good IQ with some manageable CA. Needs an adapter and is fully manual on our cameras. Nice rendering for the right shot. Big and heavy. The M* version sounds like it's easier to use.
I would concur with this list. I no longer have the DFA 35 as I put that one in against my new GM 24 - 70 fir the A7RII. If you have the 28 - 45, the 45 - 85 and the 80 - 160, you have a very good range of lenses, but also a pretty heavy pack. So invest in a good backpack.

06-13-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

for landscape, as you mentioned you would be using it, I presently use and recommend:

FA25/4
A35 and D FA35
D FA55
A75 (not special, but decent)
67 SMC 105/2.4
A120 Macro
FA150

There are many more lens choices obviously, but these have performed very well with my 645D & Z.

Good luck
06-13-2016, 02:21 PM   #6
Forum Member

I like the 55mm and 90mm for landscape panoramas as they end up so much wider when you shoot vertically and stitch to get a 3:1 ratio image. Would like to get a D FA 35mm, but you already have that range covered with the 28-45 anyway.
06-13-2016, 03:24 PM   #7
Forum Member

Hi valvivphoto I'm glad you found my review helpful and I hope you enjoy using the Z as much as I do! I still only have the 28-45 myself and am also deciding if I get more lenses and which ones. I actually like only having the one lens in some ways as it makes shooting more streamlined and my sensor stays pristine but I do sometimes want another focal length. Unlike you I don't have a secondary high megapixel body I can fall back only the Canon 5D mk3 so I have to also consider a backup/complimentary body and the K-1/28-70 is at the top of my list at the moment.

Of the 645 lenses the DFA 55 is probably the one I would go for next as it gives a slightly longer focal length that would be good for pano's but mainly it opens up the option for the Z to hand-holdable 'walkaround' style shooting at times and also gives me a backup lens. The other lens that interests me the most is the 80-160 but I am worried I wouldn't be quite as happy with it after using the superb 28-45 especially in regards CA performance. I am interested in what the replacement of this lens will be but who knows when that will be released and how big and heavy it will be (and costly)...
06-13-2016, 03:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I bought the 45-85/4.5 from eBay for under $480 delivered. I figure that will give me a bit of a range above the one i already have. I think the next one will get is the 80-160, and that will give me the full range like itshimitis said. After that, I will get a prime or two depending on which focal length I like to use the most. I have a trip planned to Glacier National Park in 3 weeks and will bring it there.

V

---------- Post added 06-13-16 at 03:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gyroscope Quote
Hi valvivphoto I'm glad you found my review helpful and I hope you enjoy using the Z as much as I do! I still only have the 28-45 myself and am also deciding if I get more lenses and which ones. I actually like only having the one lens in some ways as it makes shooting more streamlined and my sensor stays pristine but I do sometimes want another focal length. Unlike you I don't have a secondary high megapixel body I can fall back only the Canon 5D mk3 so I have to also consider a backup/complimentary body and the K-1/28-70 is at the top of my list at the moment.

Of the 645 lenses the DFA 55 is probably the one I would go for next as it gives a slightly longer focal length that would be good for pano's but mainly it opens up the option for the Z to hand-holdable 'walkaround' style shooting at times and also gives me a backup lens. The other lens that interests me the most is the 80-160 but I am worried I wouldn't be quite as happy with it after using the superb 28-45 especially in regards CA performance. I am interested in what the replacement of this lens will be but who knows when that will be released and how big and heavy it will be (and costly)...
Yes, outstanding review.

Since I got the 45-85, I will hold off on the 55 right now. I do use the FE55 on the A7Rii almost all the time when I'm walking around, as it's a great lens, and goes down to 1.8 also.

I like the idea of only having a lens or two for this thing, so the sensor says super sharp. I got the Manfrotto 057 tripod with the Q6 head on it just for this. That bipod is HUGE and I'm looking forward to using it in MT when I go next month.

V

06-13-2016, 08:28 PM   #9
Tio

QuoteOriginally posted by valvicphoto Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I bought the 45-85/4.5 from eBay for under $480 delivered. I figure that will give me a bit of a range above the one i already have. I think the next one will get is the 80-160, and that will give me the full range like itshimitis said. After that, I will get a prime or two depending on which focal length I like to use the most. I have a trip planned to Glacier National Park in 3 weeks and will bring it there.

V

---------- Post added 06-13-16 at 03:28 PM ----------

Yes, outstanding review.

Since I got the 45-85, I will hold off on the 55 right now. I do use the FE55 on the A7Rii almost all the time when I'm walking around, as it's a great lens, and goes down to 1.8 also.

I like the idea of only having a lens or two for this thing, so the sensor says super sharp. I got the Manfrotto 057 tripod with the Q6 head on it just for this. That bipod is HUGE and I'm looking forward to using it in MT when I go next month.

V
Hey Valvicphoto,

I've had my 645Z with the 28-45 for a little over 6 months and 10,000 shots later still love it. I got to shoot with a friend last weekend with his 645Z with the D FA 55 and the D FA 90 and was blown away with both lens. If the D FA 55 (~$1000) approaches "reasonably priced" for you I would recommend this lens (I would rent it first). I'll be selling off most of my Canon gear to get my hands on another body with the D FA 90 ... but that is not reasonably priced. Hope you get great light in Glacier!
06-15-2016, 01:20 AM   #10

As a landscape photographer, I used the 645D first and 645Z after for about two years, trying it with various lenses. The kit I ended up with was:

- 28-45mm f/4.5: the best lens for the 645z, amazing performer;
- 80-160mm f/4.5 FA: decent performer, add some reach and flexibility, used it very little since I don't need that much tele and the lens is not optically great, but good to have just in case;
- 55mm f/2.8, great lens, but not very useful since it's very close to 45mm;
- 75mm f/2.8 A: great lens, sharp all over the frame, not so great bokeh though, often added just this to the 28-45mm for a two-lens kit since I don't need much more reach than that.

I tried and sold the 25mm because of the impossibility to use front filters with it in a practical way (even if you could, if you really wanted to), plus not optically fantastic and very close to 28mm. I tried the 45-85mm FA, 33-55mm, 35mm A and FA, 120 macro, 150 f/3.5 A, 150 f/2.8, 45mm f/2.8, 200mm A and all were not up to the task with the 645Z's sensor. A good option for 45mm is the Pentax 67 with an adapter. Not so great on the 67 system, performs very well on the 645z (using only the sweet spot of the lens)

Lack of lenses is the biggest problem for what would otherwise be a great system. Sad that Pentax is not developing it, because to me the 645z is the best hidden secret in the digital MF world, and Pentax is letting it slowly die.

Best,

Vieri
06-15-2016, 03:56 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Madshutter Quote

Lack of lenses is the biggest problem for what would otherwise be a great system. Sad that Pentax is not developing it, because to me the 645z is the best hidden secret in the digital MF world, and Pentax is letting it slowly die.
That is true. I feel that the lack of a solid performing 45-90mm lens takes the 645z off the list for a light travel kit. I could easily travel with just that one lens. I just did 3 weeks in France and could have done the whole trip with a 45-90mm.

Also, without a stellar 90-180 type lens, short tele landscape use really suffers, which I do a lot of, more than wide work. I don't use my 80-160 FA past about 120mm. I would replace it with just an FA120 Macro, but there are too many times when I use the lens at 80-90mm, so I can't do it. If we had a newer 45-90mm then that problem would be moot.
06-15-2016, 07:51 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Best,

Vieri
I agree more lenses would be great but is it slowly dying or slowly living? Meaning that they are gradually adding lenses, so how does that make the system die? In my opinion it is growing, just at a glacial pace.
MF is slow in many ways and this is just another.
06-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #13

I've had the Z for almost two years now and shoot mostly landscape. I have:
35mm A: excellent quality and light weight
45-85mm: very nice, a little heavy, I don't use it that much any more.
120mm Macro: awesome all around
200mm: I really like it, light weight and sharp, I think that it's the sleeper in the lens lineup.
300mm: used rarely, a little big
150-300mm: even bigger and less sharp than the 300, need to sell.
300mm 67: returned, sharp but just too big and heavy
45mm T/S: actually my most often used, though quite heavy. I've seen the reviews here and guess I got a good model. It was a display model.

I stitch a lot, so corner sharpness is not as critical for my images. Also, I stitch images shot with the 120mm and 200mm.

If I were starting over, it would be the 35mm A, the 120mm Macro, and the 200mm. I'm excluding the 45mm T/S because of the consistency problems, weight and cost. A somewhat crazy purchase that turned out well. Lucky.
06-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Best,

Vieri
Actually, I get the feeling they have been re-vitalizing this platform and i'm quite pleased with the array of lens choices(old and new) presently available; i do not see lens selection as a limiting factor given the vast legacy options for 645 and 67 that can be used. Nor do i find lenses such as the A35 and A120 to "not be up to the task of the 645Z sensor"; I am curious what measurements you are taking because you sound very discriminating.
Slightly puzzled at your comments.

---------- Post added 06-15-2016 at 04:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
... but is it slowly dying or slowly living? ...
06-15-2016, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Mike in my opinion where the current 645 lenses lack is in the "bite" and contrast that the best current Zeiss lenses have for example.

Although I like the 28-45, it is definitely a flat lens, lacking the lovely crispness and bite of other lenses.

However in saying that I have taken some lovely shots with it and you can add bite in PP.

I prefer zooms for landscape because of flexibility, and I have an 80-160 FA and it does render an "older" flatter image than the DFA 90. So an updated zoom would be a real treat.