Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2016, 05:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

28-45 with var. ND filters

Hi Guys,

on the verge of buying the beast I am wondering about practicality issues with this lens.
those who own it, what is your take on using it with variable ND-filters ?
I've read in the forum lensbase that the filters are not easily screwed in/turned with the hood on, is that right ?
but I'm thinking I can screw in/ turn the filter and then attach the hood, right?

any comments appreciated

cheers
Stephan

06-16-2016, 05:35 AM   #2

Hi there,
most variable ND filters have a front element, which is a few mm larger than the diameter of the lens. This avoids any vignetting. Therefore you cannot use the hood anyway.

For all other filters (protection, grey, polarizer etc) I never have problems using the hood. However it is a pity that the hood does not have the opening to rotate the polarizer, a handy feature of the older FA lenses.

martin
06-16-2016, 05:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

not a fan of variable ND filters -- especially with wide lenses. I carry three ND filters: 3 stops, 6 stops, and 9 stops. With that combination I can cover most bases. Yes, it is not as convenient as a variable ND, but the quality and consistency is better. Cheaper too.

YMMV

Michael
06-18-2016, 10:12 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
HI Mazwick and Michael,
have you actually used the 28-45 with a variable ND-filter ?

I find my Heliopan 0.3 to 1.8 to be ok until about 6 stops, then the blues disappear.
but I need to know to what outer diameter the filter can have, so that I'll still be able to screw it on without having to remove the hood, or leave the hood off completely, which would be a pity.

cheers
Stephan

06-18-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zobeleye Quote
HI Mazwick and Michael,
have you actually used the 28-45 with a variable ND-filter ?

I find my Heliopan 0.3 to 1.8 to be ok until about 6 stops, then the blues disappear.
but I need to know to what outer diameter the filter can have, so that I'll still be able to screw it on without having to remove the hood, or leave the hood off completely, which would be a pity.
My experience is with a Nikkor 24-85mm and 24-120mm.
At the long end, no problems.
However, at the wide ends you get distinct "patterns" as you get darker.

Michael
06-20-2016, 02:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The hood on the 28-45 isn't 82mm. It's a bit wider. The filter thread on the lens is 82mm. When the lens hood fell from my 28 - 45 into the sea 18 months ago, I tried to use the hood from my FA35 and it wouldn't fit. So there is a little more space on the front of the lens to move polarisers etc.
06-20-2016, 02:48 AM   #7

I checked it with my lens. I do not use Helipan but haida, and lightcraft

The hood fits over the filter, but to screw it on the lens and rotate the filter you have to have long and thin fingers...... definitly tricky

I do not recommend it. I bought a cheap filter with the right filter thread and I am happy that way.

martin

---------- Post added 06-20-16 at 11:49 AM ----------

I forgot,
I use it regularly and it works fine, you just have to know when the x shapes are start to appear. But thats is happening with all lenses.