Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2008, 06:25 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 6x7 plunge

Just shot my first roll of 120 Tri-x =) Available light, hand held, let's see how they turn out as the camera may need a basic CLA. The TTL meter is very intuitive to use, I love it!

BTW, loading a roll of 120 film was not the easiest of feats. Luckily I had bought couple rolls of old fuji slide film to practise with. Several of my first attemts were outright failures. Then I realized what's good about the fuji stuff: they have a round hole on the leader and the hole is supposed to catch with a tab that certain types of film spools have in the middle of the slot. Kodak films don't have the hole but I'd still prefer to use their film. I started thinking about punching a similar hole in the leader of Kodak film. But where can I get those special spools with the tab?

Best regards,
Boucicaut

08-17-2008, 08:45 AM   #32
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Boucicaut Quote
But where can I get those special spools with the tab?
Check with the lab where you get your film or have it processed. They might have some in their trash bin.

Jeff
08-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
The 645 is significantly deeper than any 35mm body. Take two EOS 1D or Nikon D3 bodies, put them together, and you'll get an idea for the size of the 645N
I wasn't aware that the ID and the D3 was so amazingly small. My 645NII is only 1,5cm deeper than my K10D....

And as I have stated before; they are almost the same width (5mm difference at most) and same height.
A K10D with battery grip is probably about the same volume as a Pentax 645 but higher of course.
This is of course important for the size a possible 645 digital. Such a camera could theorethically be made 1,5cm less deep due to not needing the film transport.....

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 08-22-2008 at 12:04 PM.
08-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Pål, what would you say is an okey price for a Pentax 645N? In Norway.

I have been looking at this ad for a month now.
Too bad I don't have the money, all my hard earned cash is going to be well spent on a Lasik travel to Prague. Can't wait to find out how much better it is to look in the viewfinder without glasses:-)
But..... me still want MF:-P

08-22-2008, 02:43 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NorthPentax Quote
Pål, what would you say is an okey price for a Pentax 645N? In Norway.P

I have no idea, but I think the 645 market in Norway is extremely dead. Has been for awhile. I would like to have that 35mm lens though...
When (if?) a Pentax 645D hit the market the used prices on Pentax 645 lenses will skyrocket...
08-22-2008, 02:45 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is ten years ago that I took the 645 plunge. I'm still at it....
08-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
When (if?) a Pentax 645D hit the market the used prices on Pentax 645 lenses will skyrocket...
Perhaps I should buy lenses first.

How is the 645N in use? I'm thinking about when you are outdoors. You do alot of landscape photography. I'm more of a urban/streetphotography person.

08-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #38
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

How is the 645N in use? I'm thinking about when you are outdoors. You do alot of landscape photography. I'm more of a urban/streetphotography person.
There are plenty of wide angle lenses and macro lenses available for it.
08-22-2008, 03:10 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I had a 645 for a while, but I didn't feel comfortable with its ergonomics as a walk-around camera.

I don't know why, but the 67II feels much better hanging from my shoulder. I love manual focus too, so lack of AF doesn't bother me. I don't think there will ever be a 67D though, so it will be film for me for a long time.

15000 for a 645n njaaa.. skeptisk...
08-22-2008, 03:58 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is great in use; just like 35mm slr but a bit larger. Ask that Salgrado guy; he is using it I think....
Anyway, I recommend the NII over the N...
09-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #41

Recent purchase of 645N

I have shot one roll of 220, that's 33 pictures, using the new-to-me 645N. I paid $8.00 to have the film developed and used my scanner to print the images. I am new to scanning, but my scans seem to do justice to the images. I love using the camera so far. I also got the 45-85mm zoom and the 150mm f/2.8 portrait lens. I bought a Metz flash to use with it. The kit came in a Pelican hard case. The guy who sold it used it for weddings.

I am happy with the purchase. My plans are to do some B&W pictures for a while and begin developing my own film and eventually enlarging my own prints. The camera is rather large, but generally it works a lot like a 35mm camera. I have used some heavy cameras, also shoot with a Hasselblad and a Canon 5D with the battery pack and L lens, so you see I have some heavy cameras.
09-30-2008, 04:08 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Today bought a 645

with SMC A 2.8 75mm and SMC A/f4 200mm for $400

All in very good condition.

Even came with a Nikon strap ;~)

Nic
10-02-2008, 06:31 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Ask that Salgrado guy; he is using it I think....
Bah, he's gone over to Hasselblad.
10-02-2008, 07:28 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

67II for me. The difference for me is 35mm and digi end up "taking pictures", the 67II "makes art."
Note that 67II with AE finder is not selling at dirt cheap prices like the earlier 6x7's, (I have one for sale on the marketplace forum), but the lenses have dropped to very attractive "give away" prices.
67II is more ergonomic than 645 for me--it has a built-in rubberized grip, plus the wooden grip option for the other side (maybe it's just the boxy shape of the 645that keeps me away?).
Either way, medium format is so stunning. You'll love it whichever camera body you choose.
10-02-2008, 07:41 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I've been avoiding even thinking about this. I have a Mamiya M1000 with prism, 2 lenses and a grip, that was given to me a few years ago. I had the Mamiya people (not far from where I live) look at it; they said it wasn't worth working on and tried to upsell me. I keep meaning to take it to someone else but haven't gotten around to it, at least partially because I'm afraid to get going with MF film.

That said, I shot some color with my daughter's Mamiya RZ67 and looking at the film on a light box made me giddy. Now I have a project in mind that would involve shooting with the RZ67, drum scanning and having LightJet prints made. Maybe I'll just take a Valium and a nap........
« New Guy | Sorry »