Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2016, 09:30 PM   #1
Pentaxian
IgorZ's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 800
First day with 645

I've had the 645 for a couple of weeks now, but today was my first time using it. My first three medium format pictures... Chasing 3 kids in the forest, I didn't really have that much time to reflect on the experience, but when I thought about it in the evening, I thought how different the feel was. Forget the weight and size, I mean angle of coverage. I was using an 80mm lens, and it almost felt like a 50mm lens on APS-C, but with the angle of coverage of a 28mm, maybe 30 or a 35, but I don't have those, so can't really compare. Does that make sense, or the 35 degree heat did something to my head?

06-19-2016, 01:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 4,343
Are you talking original 645 or one of the new digital ones?
06-19-2016, 05:13 AM   #3
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 33
That is right, it isn't the heat A larger sensor means the angle of view for a given focal length is larger. So your 80mm of medium format will be much wider than 80mm on Full Frame, and much wider again than 80mm on APS-C.
06-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5
Good guess...equivalent of a 64mm on a 35mm camera if you are using a 645D or Z.

06-20-2016, 09:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian
IgorZ's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 800
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Are you talking original 645 or one of the new digital ones?
The old heavy film 645. The first time I pressed the shutter release I thought something went wrong. I am glad I didn't drop the camera

---------- Post added 06-20-16 at 09:51 AM ----------

This is all messing with my head I got used to thinking of APS-C focal lengths in terms of 35mm, now add MF to the mix..
06-21-2016, 07:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 4,343
75mm is equivalent to 45mm on a 135 format camera. Some 645 cameras (most, in fact) use 80mm lenses, slightly closer to the standard 50mm.

I like the field of view and it feels the same as a 50mm on 135, but because the camera is so much bigger and heavier that the way it's used is different and the whole experience feels different. Probably not an ideal setup for chasing kids in a forest trying to get sharp shots.

I love my original 645
06-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #7
Pentaxian
redrockcoulee's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Medicine Hat
Posts: 2,135
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
The old heavy film 645. The first time I pressed the shutter release I thought something went wrong. I am glad I didn't drop the camera

---------- Post added 06-20-16 at 09:51 AM ----------

This is all messing with my head I got used to thinking of APS-C focal lengths in terms of 35mm, now add MF to the mix..
I find it easier to not think much about 35mm equivalence when I am shooting my 6X6 MF or any of my large format stuff.
06-21-2016, 01:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 4,343
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
I find it easier to not think much about 35mm equivalence when I am shooting my 6X6 MF or any of my large format stuff.
I don't either.

A 135mm SLR with a fast 50mm lens on it has a different feel from any other combination - it's light, fast, compact, flexible and inconspicuous. All of that combines to give a certain magic in use that's unequaled with other formats.

06-22-2016, 11:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian
IgorZ's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 800
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I don't either.

A 135mm SLR with a fast 50mm lens on it has a different feel from any other combination - it's light, fast, compact, flexible and inconspicuous. All of that combines to give a certain magic in use that's unequaled with other formats.
I think not thinking about it comes with experience or a lot of money when you can buy all the lenses and see which ones you like Otherwise, on day 1 when I got the 645, I was faced with a decision which lens to get, and had no clue. Is the 80mm a "classic portrait" lens? Nope. Now that I got that lens and tried using it, the rest is easier, in a sense that I know that 55mm is wider than "that one I got before", but I agree with you that whether 55mm is 24mm or 28mm in 135 format is not really important. Once you get the bearings...

---------- Post added 06-22-16 at 11:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
75mm is equivalent to 45mm on a 135 format camera. Some 645 cameras (most, in fact) use 80mm lenses, slightly closer to the standard 50mm.

I like the field of view and it feels the same as a 50mm on 135, but because the camera is so much bigger and heavier that the way it's used is different and the whole experience feels different. Probably not an ideal setup for chasing kids in a forest trying to get sharp shots.

I love my original 645
I like it too, even though I really only have 3 shots on it. And you are right, I got a "How long does it take to take a picture?" from my 6 year old... That's right, teaches them patience too
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mm, 55mm, 645d, 645z, angle, camera, coverage, experience, format, lens, lenses, medium format, shots, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My first day with the K-1 Tjompen1968 Pentax K-1 12 05-02-2016 05:00 PM
First day out with the Pentax Q mklives Pentax Q 11 05-18-2015 06:22 AM
Misc First day with my K10 Unorthodox Post Your Photos! 6 01-21-2015 12:05 PM
First day of shooting with the K-3 TrailRunner Pentax K-3 10 11-06-2014 12:04 PM
first hour of first day with first slr rhonalou Photo Critique 2 08-06-2008 08:07 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:09 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top