Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2016, 06:38 PM   #1
Site Supporter

HDR Question with the 645Z

I just got this camera before the weekend and was trying it out with the 28-45 lens. I have a question on the HDR.

I set the HDR to 3 shot, with a +/- 2EV spread. I noticed that when it took my pictures, it changed the F-Stop also. I can't figure out why it was doing that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Vito

06-19-2016, 06:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want the aperture to remain constant, I think you have to put the camera in Av mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-19-2016, 09:17 PM   #3

Actually, there is a custom setting to make the camera hold the aperture constant during exposure bracketed sequences, the way we would expect based on how pretty well all other cameras work. it's described in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/298412-exposure-bracketing-645z.html
06-19-2016, 09:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Beat me to it! And jolly well it works too.

06-20-2016, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Gallery
All well and good by why get a sensor with such good dynamic range then shoot HDR with it!
06-20-2016, 02:52 AM   #6

I too had issues trying to figure it all out and came across This Link which shows how to set step by step.
EDIT: Although for the K5 the menu is close enough

Even with such good sensor DR it is still very possible to encounter a scene with a contrast range far exceeding the sensors maximum capability.

Last edited by TonyW; 06-20-2016 at 02:58 AM.
06-20-2016, 03:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I'll try to set it to Tv priority for my next outing. Having the camera change the Aperture for me is not an option. I set it where I do, because that's where I need it. It shoot a lot of sunsets and sunrises, so I definitely need to shoot HDR to get the complete scene where I like it.

Vito
06-20-2016, 03:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by valvicphoto Quote
Thanks guys. I'll try to set it to Tv priority for my next outing. Having the camera change the Aperture for me is not an option. I set it where I do, because that's where I need it. It shoot a lot of sunsets and sunrises, so I definitely need to shoot HDR to get the complete scene where I like it.

Vito
Vito,

for sunrises and sunsets, why don't you use Grad ND filters instead? Just a thought. Best,

Vieri

06-20-2016, 08:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Madshutter Quote
Vito,

for sunrises and sunsets, why don't you use Grad ND filters instead? Just a thought. Best,

Vieri
I have not tried those yet. I kind of enjoy the post processing aspect of the HDR, but it would seem that a graduated ND filter would eliminate all that extra need for sure. I might use that as an excuse to buy one at B&H and try it out!

V
06-21-2016, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #10

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by valvicphoto Quote
I have not tried those yet. I kind of enjoy the post processing aspect of the HDR, but it would seem that a graduated ND filter would eliminate all that extra need for sure. I might use that as an excuse to buy one at B&H and try it out!

V
Not trying to tell you how to experience your own photography but seriously the DR of the Z is astonishing. When I was using Canon gear I avoided shooting straight into the sun at sunrise and sunset if I could but now I seek this situation out. I use a grad filter, expose for highlights then recover shadows in post and it works a treat. Just make sure you are using ISO 100 as this has the max DR and don't try and brighten the whole scene too much you still need some shadow for realism. Give it a try you might be surprised how much easier it is than HDR

I have a good example before and after pic of this situation on the 645z review I did you could check out on my website.