Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2016, 08:00 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Comparisons between the Z and the X1D have to be taken like any comparison between a DSLR and a mirrorless, and there are many factors to consider. The X1D lacks or has an inferior implementation in the following things:
- no phase AF
- likely lower battery life
- no tilt screen
- performance will be hampered by thermal/processing limitations from having such a compact body
- low light will cause the EVF to lag
- Phocus for Raw conversion

There will always trade-offs for going small. A nice chunky DSLR is going to work reliably under the worst conditions, while mirrorless cameras often had or still have limitations. Take the A7RII, until recently, all Sony A cameras had lossy Raw compression, or locked focus when shooting in continuous mode as well as dropping down to just 12-bits in various shooting modes. You can go lossless uncompressed now, but it slows the camera down a whole lot and doubles file sizes.

Last edited by Kolor-Pikker; 06-23-2016 at 08:09 AM.
06-23-2016, 08:35 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
Comparisons between the Z and the X1D have to be taken like any comparison between a DSLR and a mirrorless, and there are many factors to consider. The X1D lacks or has an inferior implementation in the following things:
- no phase AF
- likely lower battery life
- no tilt screen
- performance will be hampered by thermal/processing limitations from having such a compact body
- low light will cause the EVF to lag
- Phocus for Raw conversion

There will always trade-offs for going small. A nice chunky DSLR is going to work reliably under the worst conditions, while mirrorless cameras often had or still have limitations. Take the A7RII, until recently, all Sony A cameras had lossy Raw compression, or locked focus when shooting in continuous mode as well as dropping down to just 12-bits in various shooting modes. You can go lossless uncompressed now, but it slows the camera down a whole lot and doubles file sizes.

I also just read that it has:
- a single AF point (center)
- only works with leaf shutter lenses (is that right?)
06-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #33

i'm not sure about single point AF .....the usual mf (portrait) procedure with focus/recompose doesn't usually work very well with mirrorless (focal plane)
about second.... don't think so.... electronic shutter shouldn't be a complicated firmware upgrade
06-23-2016, 09:06 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zidee Quote
i'm not sure about single point AF .....the usual mf (portrait) procedure with focus/recompose doesn't usually work very well with mirrorless (focal plane)
about second.... don't think so.... electronic shutter shouldn't be a complicated firmware upgrade
i dont want to spread any incorrect information - had read this from comments, so not sure if factual.

it also said there are only 2 lenses available at present, 45mm and 90mm. correct me if i am wrong.

06-23-2016, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
If it's like the single AF point in Hasselblad's other MFD cameras, then its not as bad as it sounds. What they have is a focus point can lock on and then recompose. The the camera will automagically calculate and adjust the focus distance to that point after you recompose.
06-23-2016, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

Considering that it uses CDAF, 95% of the sensor area should technically be one big AF point, and I can't imagine why they would arbitrarily limit it to just the center. Every camera ever made with CDAF can use any part of the sensor for focus duty.

Yes, the shutter mechanism seems to be in the lenses, as in all the promotional images of the body I haven't seen the sensor being covered up by anything resembling a shutter. I wonder how this will affect lens changing with the sensor being exposed all the time... at least it'll be easy to clean.
06-23-2016, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #37
Forum Member

On dpreview I read that it will soon have a third lens and more lenses in the future and there will be a firmware update to enable electric shutter. I also read that the lenses are made by Nittoh. I can't confirm all these, so let's call them rumors rather than news.

06-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by whwang Quote
On dpreview I read that it will soon have a third lens and more lenses in the future and there will be a firmware update to enable electric shutter. I also read that the lenses are made by Nittoh. I can't confirm all these, so let's call them rumors rather than news.
The 3rd lens to come on market and Nittoh as maker of lenses are not rumors, they were announced by Hasselblad's CEO during the launch party.
06-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #39

handmade

Ok. wow. so nowadays all that Hasselblad can bring to the market as an innovative mf camera is based on :

size. and design.

guys you used to make great cameras! you used to lead the tendencies ! not make rich kids christmas gifts...

it has a common 50MP, and an EVF. yes , an E L E C T R O N I C viewfinder.
and lots of electronics.
yes we all know chip sizes go smaller and smaller. HTC, Nokia, intel, apple and Sony are aware too. that's why there are iphone watches on the market.

but where Hasselblad really stands out, after the great innovations of size and design is this: The X1D is "handmade" . OH MY GOD.

long live marketing and lovely swedish girls
06-24-2016, 08:27 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i dont want to spread any incorrect information - had read this from comments, so not sure if factual.

it also said there are only 2 lenses available at present, 45mm and 90mm. correct me if i am wrong.
There is also a 30mm f/3.5 coming late in the year, supposed to be ultra sharp.

The MTF charts for the 45 and 90 look amazing, you can see them at blog.mingthein.com
06-24-2016, 10:17 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
There is also a 30mm f/3.5 coming late in the year, supposed to be ultra sharp.

The MTF charts for the 45 and 90 look amazing, you can see them at blog.mingthein.com
it's not anything i'd be interested in
06-26-2016, 07:23 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The full specs are out. Uses a new series of lenses. Adapter for older lenses.

X1D-50c - Hasselblad
Histogram is only available on the rear panel. One of the benefits mirrorless proponents always point to is the histogram being in the VF.
06-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Not so... USD$2,295 and $2,695 for the 45mm f/3.5 and 90mm f/4.5 respectively... Not cheap, for sure, but in Hasselblad's world that's quite reasonable.

The Pentax system relies on many legacy lenses, some of which are questionable. The newer releases are all excellent. So, Hasselblad will have the advantage of all of the lenses for this system being new releases and presumably (hopefully), optimized for this system. If these lenses are stellar performers (as in sharp across the frame wide open), the prices are good.
06-26-2016, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #44

I hope Pentax is working on something like this because I think it's a legitimate direction. It's interesting enough to me that I've put my name down to get a crack at an X1D at my local dealer as soon as they have them available. I dearly love using my Pentax digital 645 system, and there are very few things about it that really bug me. But there's no getting away from the fact that it's a large, heavy bunch of kit. Something that can maintain the image-making quality from the same sensor platform in a smaller, lighter, more maneuverable package would have a lot of appeal for me.

The X1D looks well-enough spec'ed to me, especially for a "first in category" product. Heck, the 645D was quite primitive in comparison. Sure there will be certain limitations, and the armchair designers of the internet will rage about "why didn't they do this or that", just as happened with the 645D and even the hugely improved 645Z. But if Hasselblad's execution is there, I wouldn't refuse to get one just because it's not a Pentax... I'd be quite tempted, even just sticking within the limitations of the Hasselblad ecosystem. If electronic focal plane shutter could be supported in the body and adapters for alternative glass made it conceivable to use a range of the Pentax glass, then it would be become a virtual no-brainer for me.

I always felt the Pentax digital 645 system -- especially the 645Z -- would have to produce responses from other manufacturers. Just like Canon's original 5D in the 35mm range, Pentax made too compelling a price-performance story for others not to want a piece of that action. Here's the first real response from another manufacturer. Well played, Hasselblad. Now let's get ahold of the camera and see how it really works.

After that, who's next? Fuji is highly likely. Pentax, hopefully. It's going to be interesting...
06-26-2016, 10:56 AM   #45
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's very handsome, great design...and small! Reminds me of my Fuji X10/X20, but I suspect delivers a little better results?

Regards!