Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2016, 08:00 AM   #31
Veteran Member
Kolor-Pikker's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 337
Comparisons between the Z and the X1D have to be taken like any comparison between a DSLR and a mirrorless, and there are many factors to consider. The X1D lacks or has an inferior implementation in the following things:
- no phase AF
- likely lower battery life
- no tilt screen
- performance will be hampered by thermal/processing limitations from having such a compact body
- low light will cause the EVF to lag
- Phocus for Raw conversion

There will always trade-offs for going small. A nice chunky DSLR is going to work reliably under the worst conditions, while mirrorless cameras often had or still have limitations. Take the A7RII, until recently, all Sony A cameras had lossy Raw compression, or locked focus when shooting in continuous mode as well as dropping down to just 12-bits in various shooting modes. You can go lossless uncompressed now, but it slows the camera down a whole lot and doubles file sizes.


Last edited by Kolor-Pikker; 06-23-2016 at 08:09 AM.
06-23-2016, 08:35 AM   #32
Pentaxian
mikeSF's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: East Bay Area, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,580
QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
Comparisons between the Z and the X1D have to be taken like any comparison between a DSLR and a mirrorless, and there are many factors to consider. The X1D lacks or has an inferior implementation in the following things:
- no phase AF
- likely lower battery life
- no tilt screen
- performance will be hampered by thermal/processing limitations from having such a compact body
- low light will cause the EVF to lag
- Phocus for Raw conversion

There will always trade-offs for going small. A nice chunky DSLR is going to work reliably under the worst conditions, while mirrorless cameras often had or still have limitations. Take the A7RII, until recently, all Sony A cameras had lossy Raw compression, or locked focus when shooting in continuous mode as well as dropping down to just 12-bits in various shooting modes. You can go lossless uncompressed now, but it slows the camera down a whole lot and doubles file sizes.

I also just read that it has:
- a single AF point (center)
- only works with leaf shutter lenses (is that right?)
06-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #33
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3
i'm not sure about single point AF .....the usual mf (portrait) procedure with focus/recompose doesn't usually work very well with mirrorless (focal plane)
about second.... don't think so.... electronic shutter shouldn't be a complicated firmware upgrade
06-23-2016, 09:06 AM   #34
Pentaxian
mikeSF's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: East Bay Area, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,580
QuoteOriginally posted by zidee Quote
i'm not sure about single point AF .....the usual mf (portrait) procedure with focus/recompose doesn't usually work very well with mirrorless (focal plane)
about second.... don't think so.... electronic shutter shouldn't be a complicated firmware upgrade
i dont want to spread any incorrect information - had read this from comments, so not sure if factual.

it also said there are only 2 lenses available at present, 45mm and 90mm. correct me if i am wrong.

06-23-2016, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6,990
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I also just read that it has:
- a single AF point (center)
- only works with leaf shutter lenses (is that right?)
If it's like the single AF point in Hasselblad's other MFD cameras, then its not as bad as it sounds. What they have is a focus point can lock on and then recompose. The the camera will automagically calculate and adjust the focus distance to that point after you recompose.
06-23-2016, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member
Kolor-Pikker's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 337
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I also just read that it has:
- a single AF point (center)
- only works with leaf shutter lenses (is that right?)
Considering that it uses CDAF, 95% of the sensor area should technically be one big AF point, and I can't imagine why they would arbitrarily limit it to just the center. Every camera ever made with CDAF can use any part of the sensor for focus duty.

Yes, the shutter mechanism seems to be in the lenses, as in all the promotional images of the body I haven't seen the sensor being covered up by anything resembling a shutter. I wonder how this will affect lens changing with the sensor being exposed all the time... at least it'll be easy to clean.
06-23-2016, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #37
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 48
On dpreview I read that it will soon have a third lens and more lenses in the future and there will be a firmware update to enable electric shutter. I also read that the lenses are made by Nittoh. I can't confirm all these, so let's call them rumors rather than news.
06-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #38
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Back in France
Posts: 48
QuoteOriginally posted by whwang Quote
On dpreview I read that it will soon have a third lens and more lenses in the future and there will be a firmware update to enable electric shutter. I also read that the lenses are made by Nittoh. I can't confirm all these, so let's call them rumors rather than news.
The 3rd lens to come on market and Nittoh as maker of lenses are not rumors, they were announced by Hasselblad's CEO during the launch party.

06-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #39
Site Supporter
phat_bog's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Paris
Posts: 80
handmade

Ok. wow. so nowadays all that Hasselblad can bring to the market as an innovative mf camera is based on :

size. and design.

guys you used to make great cameras! you used to lead the tendencies ! not make rich kids christmas gifts...

it has a common 50MP, and an EVF. yes , an E L E C T R O N I C viewfinder.
and lots of electronics.
yes we all know chip sizes go smaller and smaller. HTC, Nokia, intel, apple and Sony are aware too. that's why there are iphone watches on the market.

but where Hasselblad really stands out, after the great innovations of size and design is this: The X1D is "handmade" . OH MY GOD.

long live marketing and lovely swedish girls
06-24-2016, 08:27 PM   #40
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 606
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i dont want to spread any incorrect information - had read this from comments, so not sure if factual.

it also said there are only 2 lenses available at present, 45mm and 90mm. correct me if i am wrong.
There is also a 30mm f/3.5 coming late in the year, supposed to be ultra sharp.

The MTF charts for the 45 and 90 look amazing, you can see them at blog.mingthein.com
06-24-2016, 10:17 PM   #41
Pentaxian
mikeSF's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: East Bay Area, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,580
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
There is also a 30mm f/3.5 coming late in the year, supposed to be ultra sharp.

The MTF charts for the 45 and 90 look amazing, you can see them at blog.mingthein.com
it's not anything i'd be interested in
06-26-2016, 07:23 AM   #42
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 118
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The full specs are out. Uses a new series of lenses. Adapter for older lenses.

X1D-50c - Hasselblad
Histogram is only available on the rear panel. One of the benefits mirrorless proponents always point to is the histogram being in the VF.
06-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #43
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 118
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Not so... USD$2,295 and $2,695 for the 45mm f/3.5 and 90mm f/4.5 respectively... Not cheap, for sure, but in Hasselblad's world that's quite reasonable.

The Pentax system relies on many legacy lenses, some of which are questionable. The newer releases are all excellent. So, Hasselblad will have the advantage of all of the lenses for this system being new releases and presumably (hopefully), optimized for this system. If these lenses are stellar performers (as in sharp across the frame wide open), the prices are good.
06-26-2016, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #44
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 265
I hope Pentax is working on something like this because I think it's a legitimate direction. It's interesting enough to me that I've put my name down to get a crack at an X1D at my local dealer as soon as they have them available. I dearly love using my Pentax digital 645 system, and there are very few things about it that really bug me. But there's no getting away from the fact that it's a large, heavy bunch of kit. Something that can maintain the image-making quality from the same sensor platform in a smaller, lighter, more maneuverable package would have a lot of appeal for me.

The X1D looks well-enough spec'ed to me, especially for a "first in category" product. Heck, the 645D was quite primitive in comparison. Sure there will be certain limitations, and the armchair designers of the internet will rage about "why didn't they do this or that", just as happened with the 645D and even the hugely improved 645Z. But if Hasselblad's execution is there, I wouldn't refuse to get one just because it's not a Pentax... I'd be quite tempted, even just sticking within the limitations of the Hasselblad ecosystem. If electronic focal plane shutter could be supported in the body and adapters for alternative glass made it conceivable to use a range of the Pentax glass, then it would be become a virtual no-brainer for me.

I always felt the Pentax digital 645 system -- especially the 645Z -- would have to produce responses from other manufacturers. Just like Canon's original 5D in the 35mm range, Pentax made too compelling a price-performance story for others not to want a piece of that action. Here's the first real response from another manufacturer. Well played, Hasselblad. Now let's get ahold of the camera and see how it really works.

After that, who's next? Fuji is highly likely. Pentax, hopefully. It's going to be interesting...
06-26-2016, 10:56 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,249
It's very handsome, great design...and small! Reminds me of my Fuji X10/X20, but I suspect delivers a little better results?

Regards!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, 645z, camera, f/5.6, format, hassie medium format, hassy, legend, lenses, medium, medium format, pentax, pentax 645z, successor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax 645Z 51.4MP Medium Format Camera Like New harklee Sold Items 1 02-16-2016 08:10 PM
Post your non-pentax medium-format and large-format pictures DenisG Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 25 04-07-2015 03:55 PM
New Sony 99 successor next month? gryphongryph General Photography 4 10-16-2014 05:55 PM
Hartblei CAM: medium format camera announced rparmar Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 7 09-17-2009 09:01 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:09 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top