Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2016, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I also just read that it has:
- a single AF point (center)
- only works with leaf shutter lenses (is that right?)
Yes, there is no shutter in the camera. A 42 MP Sony a7RII is a far better value proposition - use any brand lens you wish and you can have two bodies with lens money left over.

And if you really need 50 MP camera, rent one like the 645Z. Very inexpensive to buy good quality Pentax FA 645 lenses from reputable Japanese eBay resellers and you can use them on a 645N body, which I do.

This is all getting rather silly.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 06-26-2016 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Fix syntax
06-26-2016, 12:30 PM   #47
Veteran Member

I really don't see it as a "Game Changer". We were eventually going to get a Mirrorless Medium Format just do to the fact seeing the evolution of D/SLR's, truthfully the only question was who was going to the first company to release it.

Now if it was 5+ years ago, then yeah it would've been a big surprise/game changer.
06-26-2016, 08:33 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Yes, there is no shutter in the camera. A 42 MP Sony a7RII is a far better value proposition - use any brand lens you wish and you can have two bodies with lens money left over.

And if you really need 50 MP camera, rent one like the 645Z. Very inexpensive to buy good quality Pentax FA 645 lenses from reputable Japanese eBay resellers and you can use them on a 645N body, which I do.

This is all getting rather silly.
I think we will find though that the X1D will bring with it image quality from its sensor and lenses that we just aren't getting from the 645z at this point.

And, I would take any of the 50mp MF sensor offerings over the A7rII any day.
06-27-2016, 08:23 AM   #49
Emperor and Senpai

So the replacement for the 645z will have 100mp and pixel shift to stay ahead of the game and maybe a mirrorless version that will have full 645 lens functionality via adapter. hmm...

06-28-2016, 12:27 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Pentax should have come out with this first as there is no competition from the likes of Sony as they focus on FF mirror-less. But as always due to their conservative management someone else might eat their lunch. Mirror-less makes the most sense in MF out of all formats - high resolution and slow speed benefits from no mirror vibration and CDAF, continuous AF performance is not important. Not to mention the ridiculously large downsizing possible (compare the top view of the 645z and the new hasselblad, the mirrorless is about 1/4 the depth). Wide angle lenses (which is the main target for the mainly landscape user base) will also be drastically easier to design as there is no huge backfocus distance constraint (~70mm! for 645Z). The cost could probably be as low as 4-6K USD due to the simplicity of the camera (assuming 2-3K sensor cost). There are so many obvious advantages here that if Pentax does not go down this path they will have serious problems selling the 645Z series in a few years as they will no longer be the cheapest and have far too many disadavnategs over a mirrorless approach. I suspect if they delay longer it is highly likely Fuji might come along and eat most of their market. A good strategy would be to make the 645z full frame 100MP flagship and the 645mirrorless a 50MP crop frame (but design the mount for full frame for future proofing). That way they can have two convincing product streams and invest in whichever one has good growth down the line.

Last edited by Ayoh; 06-28-2016 at 12:33 AM.