Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2016, 05:08 AM   #1
Pentaxian

New Hassie Medium Format announced where next for Pentax 645Z and successor

So the new Hasselblad mirrorless medium format is being announced today. This could be a game changer, it's at the same price point as the Z. What do you think Pentax should do to counteract it, if anything?

I would hope that it jolts Pentax into action to make headway with their lenses and a successor.

What do you think? Would you jump ship?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-22-2016 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Removed inflammatory comments.
06-22-2016, 05:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

not at $9k a pop. I think Hasselblad is going after Leica on this one.

M
06-22-2016, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The 645z is at the 7k price point, weather sealed, and has a number of lenses available for it. I don't think these are really competitors.
06-22-2016, 05:40 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
not at $9k a pop. I think Hasselblad is going after Leica on this one.
If they are chasing Leica they are as stupid and aimless as pentax's marketing department. For the love of god Hasselblad used to LEAD, not FOLLOW. The price of the Leica S is nearly three times the rumored price of the Hasselblad camera. If Hassy is going after the The Leica SL that would be monumentally stupid, as that market is getting close to over-saturation. Hasselblad would do better by serving a market that isn't being served such as the mirrorless short flange camera equipped with a MF sensor with slow, albeit compact with high performance lens crowd...to serve the kind of people who liked the Mamiya 7

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-22-2016 at 05:13 PM.
06-22-2016, 05:51 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Hasselblad would do better by serving a market that isn't being served such as the mirrorless MF sensor with slow, albeit compact with high performance lens crowd...the kind of people who liked the Mamiya 7
This is *exactly* the market I assumed they were aiming for...
06-22-2016, 06:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Contrary to some rumours, the sensor size is 44x33, essentially the same as the 645Z, with a similar number of pixels. It is however less than half the weight of the 645Z, and flash syncs all the way up to its maximum speed of 1/2000. It may look very attractive to some potential 645Z customers.
06-22-2016, 06:07 AM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I just posted in another forum message... UK price is £5,990 but that is plus VAT @ 20%, so actual price is £7,188 for the body only. They are planning to release a kit with a 45mm lens for USD$11,290, and based on the same calculations the UK price would be a shade over £9,000. That's quite a bit more than the 645Z + 55mm kit, which is around £7,000. That said... it does look nice. I'm looking forward to the reviews, although the chances of me ever buying one are somewhere between "none" and "zero"

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-22-2016 at 10:42 AM.
06-22-2016, 06:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I think it would be very tempting to anyone who already owns a H system Hasselblad or someone who is going to be getting into MF for travel. Considering the price of all medium format and what the Pentax models were when they first were introduced I think this camera is reasonably priced. Even film camera MF new are or were expensive and the X1d is not that more than a Nikon or Canon top of the line model and for anyone just getting into either of those one would need to spend funds on lenses which are not cheap either.

Definitely not for me, I will stick with the 500 C/M as there is still no place to load a roll of Acros in the X1d and for the cost of the new camera I can buy over two decades of film and I do not think I will be shooting with any of the existing cameras when I am in my late 80s.

There are more and more interesting cameras being released compared to a few years ago, the Pentax 645 digital models, the Fuji X series, Sony mirrorless and now MF mirrorless. More than a single direction for a photographer to head. Wish them success.
06-22-2016, 06:43 AM   #9
Banned

It looks great and is small for it's sensor.
06-22-2016, 07:02 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks like a big K-01 with an EVF and a medium format sensor/mount!
06-22-2016, 07:27 AM   #11

The full specs are out. Uses a new series of lenses. Adapter for older lenses.

X1D-50c - Hasselblad
06-22-2016, 07:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

looks nice and not too pricey (for its class) but the lenses will cost a lot more than the body
06-22-2016, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
looks nice and not too pricey (for its class) but the lenses will cost a lot more than the body
Not so... USD$2,295 and $2,695 for the 45mm f/3.5 and 90mm f/4.5 respectively... Not cheap, for sure, but in Hasselblad's world that's quite reasonable.
06-22-2016, 09:03 AM   #14

it seems this will be a pretty nice camera and has definitely some advantages over my 645z-system..... weight, x-sync up to 2000msec, fast (!) tetherin with phocus-soft, opens the world to some beautiful autofocus H- and manual V-Lenses, i've read over at mingthein they will invent a electronic shutter with a firmware upgrade (means you can use something like a zeiss otus & adapter), nikon p-ttl hotshoe. I really love the 50mp cmos sony sensor (like i do with my 645z) and don't need a bigger sensor - but some flexibility for different kind of shootings. Pentax did pretty nothing in the last two years for us 645-users..... no hss, neither ls-lenses, image transmitter is okay but silly in front of some clients. price? the hassy body is more...lenses seemned to be cheaper.....i'll take a look at the new lenses and adaptors if they're out and think about a system jump.....
06-22-2016, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
If they are chasing Leica they are as stupid and aimless as pentax's marketing department. For the love of god Hasselblad used to LEAD, not FOLLOW. The price of the Leica S is nearly three times the rumored price of the Hasselblad camera. If Hassy is going after the The Leica SL that would be monumentally stupid, as that market is getting close to over-saturation. Hasselblad would do better by serving a market that isn't being served such as the mirrorless MF sensor with slow, albeit compact with high performance lens crowd...the kind of people who liked the Mamiya 7
You make excellent points.

However, they are facing the same problems as the 645Z, lack of modern lenses. Although 645Z is a step or two ahead in the new lens department and miles ahead in overall lens offerings.

The Hassy body is compact for sure but when you add one of those big lenses the compactness is somewhat nullified. It reminded me of the Sony 7 series value proposition. The bodies are compact but the lenses are huge.

I think Hassy is trying to drum up some business. With a $9K body, their chances are much higher to make some sales vs. their other cameras. I think the pricing of the mirrorless Hassy puts it squarely in the 645Z category and I do not think that is a coincidence. By all accounts, 645Z has been a smashing success and Hassy wants a piece of the action.