Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2016, 06:26 PM   #16
Site Supporter

I would definitely try a 5dsr first. I tried one expecting to like it - it really was a let down.

06-28-2016, 10:54 PM   #17
CDW
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gavincato Quote
I would definitely try a 5dsr first. I tried one expecting to like it - it really was a let down.
I would certainly concur. The only thing the Canon could conceivably beat the K1 on would be tracking rapidly moving wildlife. The Canon will be much noisier with substantially less dynamic range. For architectural work where you're likely to be able to use pixel shift, it will be no contest in favor of the K1.
As much as I loved some of the Canon glass when I shot a 5D2, I have no regrets whatsoever in moving on. You could easily sell your existing Canon gear, towards the K1 and necessary lenses, and likely have some change left over.

By the way Gyroscope, great work on your website.

Last edited by CDW; 06-28-2016 at 10:59 PM.
06-28-2016, 11:13 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The answer lies in the hard economics of the cost of the trips you take and the commercial gain you might expect from them vs the consequences of a equipment failure and the cost to repeat the trip or solve the problem on the spot in some way or another. That is, the cost of the insurance premuim paid up via additional gear purchases vs the potential loss from some (you need to estimate) potential failure rate on any given trip of vital equipment .

Maintaining multiple systems is something of a pain (weight, cost, transportation complexities, familiarity with equipment) but given the existing sunk investment in Canon glass, using that system as a back up may make the most economic sense in this particular case.
06-28-2016, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
A major caveat to add to my prior statement is that to fully appreciate pixel shift at this point, requires the use of SilkyPix for processing. It is an incredibly flawed piece of software. It refuses to run on my Mac with Yosemite, I have to run it on a prior version. It will only process one initial frame with subsequent attempts failing with a Fail to Complete Processing error message, requiring an exit and reload. The ideal solution would have been for Pentax to provide total processing in camera and provide a RAW output.
You don't really need SilkyPix to process pixel shift, it can be done via dcrawps, which I'm sure is available for OSX. If not available as a binary it is easily compiled from the source.
dcrawps will allow you to output a 16 bit tiff, and will tell you if there are artefacts, and correct them. This software is the "ant's pants" for anyone who shoots pixel shift.

Cheers,
Terry

06-29-2016, 12:38 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Okay you've talked me into it. I just ordered the K1 and 24-70

---------- Post added 06-29-16 at 12:40 AM ----------

I would certainly concur. The only thing the Canon could conceivably beat the K1 on would be tracking rapidly moving wildlife. The Canon will be much noisier with substantially less dynamic range. For architectural work where you're likely to be able to use pixel shift, it will be no contest in favor of the K1.
As much as I loved some of the Canon glass when I shot a 5D2, I have no regrets whatsoever in moving on. You could easily sell your existing Canon gear, towards the K1 and necessary lenses, and likely have some change left over.

By the way Gyroscope, great work on your website.
Thanks!

Yes its possible I could move away from Canon entirely but its a hard thing to do after 20 years of using canon gear. I'll see how the K1 works out for me and go from there I guess.
07-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #21

Personally I'd just get another lens or 2 for the 645Z and use the 5D3 as a backup. You already have all the glass and the 5D3 and its still a great camera. But it sounds like your itching for the K1 either way.
07-01-2016, 11:16 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I recently purchased a K1 as an alternate system to my 645z, but have had to return it to my dealer and am looking elsewhere for a solution.

It was a wonderful camera to use, just like the Z, but I felt that the AF accuracy was a letdown and found it quite difficult to get great shots handheld which is why I got it. I can get a better shot handheld every time with the Z.

For me, and I repeat "for me", the K1 is a bit "too little too late". It should have had an EVF and EFC shutter and I would have been happy with no IBIS. An EVF and electronic shutter beats sensor stabiliser for almost all general shooting in my view, from experience with Sony FF and crop E mount cameras.

I would get a 645d as backup to my Z, only I want a more complete system with both wider and longer lenses.
07-03-2016, 12:15 AM   #23
CDW
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I recently purchased a K1 as an alternate system to my 645z, but have had to return it to my dealer and am looking elsewhere for a solution.

It was a wonderful camera to use, just like the Z, but I felt that the AF accuracy was a letdown and found it quite difficult to get great shots handheld which is why I got it. I can get a better shot handheld every time with the Z.

For me, and I repeat "for me", the K1 is a bit "too little too late". It should have had an EVF and EFC shutter and I would have been happy with no IBIS. An EVF and electronic shutter beats sensor stabiliser for almost all general shooting in my view, from experience with Sony FF and crop E mount cameras.

I would get a 645d as backup to my Z, only I want a more complete system with both wider and longer lenses.
Somewhat difficult to put an EVF on a DSLR. No problem here handholding the K1.

07-03-2016, 01:18 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Somewhat difficult to put an EVF on a DSLR. No problem here handholding the K1.
Exactly, it should have been mirrorless (slr sized). It's AF is nothing special compared to what Sony are doing on sensor with their AF. Give it some time and the mirror will be goooooonnnne.
07-03-2016, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #25
CDW
Veteran Member

I would imagine the vast majority of K1 owners are fine with the K1 in DSLR form. There was no great clamor for a mirrorless Pentax FF several years ago when the development cycle started. I'm sure Pentax will look at mirrorless in the future but getting into mirrorless requires a full lens complement and that takes time and money. Pentax took a hit with the ill-conceived K01. I doubt they're willing to jump into mirrorless till they can do it properly. The 645Z, the latest K series APS-C bodies and now the K1, have kept Pentax alive and have provided some recovery from the disastrous Hoya period. It all takes time. If you're unable to adapt, then move on.
07-04-2016, 03:43 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Why would it take a new compliment of lenses to do mirrorless. It doesn't have to be smaller or anything, just have great on-sensor AF.
07-05-2016, 09:04 AM   #27
CDW
Veteran Member

I see no benefit whatsoever in a same size mirrorless version of the 645Z. The benefit lies in reducing size and weight, allowing updated optics. It would be a marketing disaster, particularly now as Hasselblad is doing precisely that--going smaller and lighter in MF design.
07-16-2016, 06:51 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I went through this not long after I first got my 645Z. I was after a back up,something I could get wider than the DA25mm on the Z. I ended up going a A7r and a 14mm for those UWA shots, and adapted the rest of my 645 glass when needed. For the most part the sony did the job well, and the files were close enough to the 50mp Z files to keep me happy ; the colour was not that great though out of the a7r. Eventually I sold the sony and brought a little fixed lens Fuji X100T. I love it, almost as much as the 645Z. The Fuji travels everywhere with me, and keeps my GAS "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" to a minimum and allowes me to focus on creating images. The Z still gets used but only for the planned and important shoots. :-)
07-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I see no benefit whatsoever in a same size mirrorless version of the 645Z. The benefit lies in reducing size and weight, allowing updated optics. It would be a marketing disaster, particularly now as Hasselblad is doing precisely that--going smaller and lighter in MF design.
Smaller size and weight is a by-product of mirror less design, not a requirement. However, there is size savings to be made inside the 645z chassis and you can't honestly tell me that a mirror less Z would not be better than what we have now. It would be killer and you can't possibly deny it.

Sure, the current 50mp sensor may not be able to do EFC, but if they made one that did, boy it would kill the current Z in ability to get shots that it can't get right now.

Anyway, who said that mirror less "had" to be lighter and smaller. I am happy with the size of the Z and if you removed the mechanical components and reduced the depth of it by 25%, it would be a lovely camera to use, hold, and we would all be drooling. Adam proved it when he mocked up a smaller version in the Z review.
07-16-2016, 07:06 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Gyroscope Quote
Thanks for all the input. I'm now thinking in a different direction. Since I already have a lot of Canon glass it makes sense to just sell my 5D3 and 7D (both of which get little use at the moment) and get the 5Dsr. I have ordered a 55 f2.8 and will probably get the 80-160 or 120 macro which will give me a well rounded 645 landscape kit. A 5dsr will perform quite well as a landscape backup but also performs general duty/architecture/travel/wildlife with all my existing glass something the K1 can't do.
Good point regarding the 5DS-R. If you have the better Canon glass, it is capable of amazing prints up to 4 feet wide.
However, I am partial to the 645 aspect, as I have been a long time 4x5 view camera user.

I recently rented the Pentax K1 and it is capable of images as good or better than the Canon 5DS-R.
The only thing you have to worry about is the lack of enough modern full frame Pentax optics.
That being said, I rented the Pentax 100mm f2.8 WR Macro and it was superb and relatively inexpensive.

I hope Zeiss releases their new Milvus lenses in the K mount. They would be stellar on the K1.