Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2016, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well I just sold some prints and have some more real estate jobs coming so I'll hold off for now. I'm backing off the ledge!

2351HD I totally agree about that look with greater telephoto compression for a given FOV which I also like.

I also realized I have a wider K mount lens I forgot I bought last year, a FA-J 18-35 f/4-5.6. Optically it's so-so at best (I'm being generous here) and it's cheap and plasticky feeling but it's wide and has a FF image. I got it for $75 new in the box and that's probably the right price for this lens. I could limp along with what I have and probably save enough for the 15-30 without having to wait too long I hope.

Thanks for all the helpful perspective and kind words!

07-01-2016, 10:27 AM   #17

Ah, I think I remember you bought the 645D right before the K1 announcement?
07-01-2016, 12:15 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
Ah, I think I remember you bought the 645D right before the K1 announcement?
Pretty much. I wanted more than I was getting from my crop setup and knew the K-1 was coming but MF images and in particular from the 645D won me over. I still feel the same way about the images but need to take some practical limitations of where and how I shoot into account. Ideally I want it all. .

I'm getting the well regarded but downright cheap Rokinon 14/2.8 for the K-1 to hold me over until I'm in a position to get something fancier.
So I'll hold on to the 645D. I can probably sell off some crop lenses too but their value probably isn't what it used to be.
07-02-2016, 12:21 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Pretty much. I wanted more than I was getting from my crop setup and knew the K-1 was coming but MF images and in particular from the 645D won me over. I still feel the same way about the images but need to take some practical limitations of where and how I shoot into account. Ideally I want it all. .

I'm getting the well regarded but downright cheap Rokinon 14/2.8 for the K-1 to hold me over until I'm in a position to get something fancier.
So I'll hold on to the 645D. I can probably sell off some crop lenses too but their value probably isn't what it used to be.
Ok thats right. Because we all knew the K1 was coming but everyone thought it was going to come in closer to $3k which put it into the 645D territory.

Well the good thing about the 645D is the value should hold for a long time since it is a larger sensor and thats quite rare respite the advancements in the 35mm sensors.

07-02-2016, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Well the good thing about the 645D is the value should hold for a long time ...
well, i paid $7,500 for mine and sold it for like $2,400, so maybe now they are holding, lol
07-05-2016, 09:48 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got a K-1 and it might get me out of the 645 Digital scene but I can't decide. I have a 645D and some lenses but wish I had a wider lens than 35mm but those lenses are so expensive I haven't had the money to get one. For less than one of those lenses (25 or 28-45) I can get a new K-1 and a nice wide lens plus get the use of my other old K mount lenses. That's tough to resist but I do enjoy shooting with the D too.
I'd love to get my hands on the new 15-30 but just emptied my account for the body so I need to wait. Unless I generate some capital by selling off some 645 gear. If I did that I would probably keep the primes and my film 645 and just unload the D and the zooms.
Hmmmm.
With all the stuff I've talked about, bought, hidden, used, and sold, relative to photography, you would be reading a harshly worded obituary written by my wife right now if I made a post like this! I had to sell her on the D when I bought it discontinued at a deep discount. I don't think I'll be able to get another camera until my pole dancing career really takes off and I haven't even been able to get anyone to hire me yet so...

---------- Post added 07-05-16 at 09:51 AM ----------

a FA-J 18-35 f/4-5.6.
What about the old F series fisheye and then you can try to straighten them out in post?? Just a thought.
07-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
With all the stuff I've talked about, bought, hidden, used, and sold, relative to photography, you would be reading a harshly worded obituary written by my wife right now if I made a post like this! I had to sell her on the D when I bought it discontinued at a deep discount. I don't think I'll be able to get another camera until my pole dancing career really takes off and I haven't even been able to get anyone to hire me yet so...

---------- Post added 07-05-16 at 09:51 AM ----------

What about the old F series fisheye and then you can try to straighten them out in post?? Just a thought.
Thanks, I've got a Rokinon 14/2.8 coming now so I think that should get me by until the camera account recovers a bit. I'm holding on to the D for now although I suspect my wife might be happy to see the big bulky system go!

07-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #23

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've only just noticed this thread and I find myself faced with a similar issue, albeit my K-1 has not been despatched yet.

I recently sold off a Sony A7R and its FE55 f1.8 lens. I didn't drop much on the lens at all given rising retail prices, so I made about $400 short of the new K-1 price from those sales. I've also had a 5D Mk III in the past so I have been used to FF DSLRs.

My 645D purchase 2nd hand about a year ago was a deviation from my smaller/lighter trend, but not one that I've regretted for an instant.
My plan with the K-1 is to try and persevere with legacy PK lenses, 645 and even 67 lenses using the Kipon 645 - PK adapter. Mind you I've already broken that intent by ordering a used FA31 f1.8 from Adorama, having heard from a friend how stellar that lens is and also viewing many images from it.

Despite probably being able to get A$2500 - 3000 from selling my 645D, I'm tempted to keep it. I much preferred the images I get from it to much of the A7R output and that's a very similar sensor (if not identical) to the K-1. Sculptormic replied to me that he believes the K-1 output surpasses the A7R's, so I'm looking froward to testing that.

Like you Matt, my thoughts run to the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm if I want anything ultra-wide and I'm certainly looking forward to trying astro-photography with this new camera.
07-06-2016, 05:30 AM   #24

If you ever get the chance to move to a smaller sensor.............don't! I moved from a micro 4/3 setup as I was really unhappy with the image quality. The line is that hte best camera is the one that you have with you and it was put out by photographers with smaller cameras. I have images from the m4/3 setup and really want to go to the same locations with the 645Z to take them all again even though that moment in time will never be recreated.

Last year I went on my biggest photo trip ever in terms of exercise to Ecuador and took the 645Z etc and paid particular attention to how it was carried (with a rather expensive F-stop backpack). I know that you know how to carry it all Matt an that it isn't about weight but about money but for me, what was a factor until I started carrying it and then it wasn't, if that makes sense.

Strangely, I also felt that I was using a bit of a toy with the m4/3 setup as it was so light. Build on the 645 setup, don't jump, don't even think about it!
07-06-2016, 07:26 AM   #25
Veteran Member

If you really want a wide angle for the K-1 you might want to hold off a few days for the new Laowa 12mm (fully manual); see for example Fast, prime and ultra-wide: Laowa unveils 12mm f/2.8 lens | TechRadar -- I am sure there's some discussion to be found here at PF also.
07-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
well, i paid $7,500 for mine and sold it for like $2,400, so maybe now they are holding, lol

Ha, well I meant for mattb123 since he bought his 645D when they were low(in the low $3k range). I might have gotten one if it dipped below $3k new but then the K1 came out for under $2k new and changed everything
07-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Ha, well I meant for mattb123 since he bought his 645D when they were low(in the low $3k range). I might have gotten one if it dipped below $3k new but then the K1 came out for under $2k new and changed everything
ha, i knew what you meant. Original list of the 645D was a bit higher than the 645Z.
Price point of the K-1 is just right, IMO.
07-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My D was $3400 at Amazon and a $100 off promotion made it $3300 which I could just muster.
I certainly don't regret the purchase especially considering what they used to go for and the IQ if you nail the shot.

The K-1 is amazing for the money.