Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2016, 09:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Decisions

I got a K-1 and it might get me out of the 645 Digital scene but I can't decide. I have a 645D and some lenses but wish I had a wider lens than 35mm but those lenses are so expensive I haven't had the money to get one. For less than one of those lenses (25 or 28-45) I can get a new K-1 and a nice wide lens plus get the use of my other old K mount lenses. That's tough to resist but I do enjoy shooting with the D too.
I'd love to get my hands on the new 15-30 but just emptied my account for the body so I need to wait. Unless I generate some capital by selling off some 645 gear. If I did that I would probably keep the primes and my film 645 and just unload the D and the zooms.
Hmmmm.

06-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If I were you I'd probably sell the D and zooms to get the 15-30.

Wider than the 25 on the D (I think) and newer with (probably) better IQ.
06-28-2016, 10:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SELL!

You already seem to know what you need to do to build out your K kit. IMO having 1 complete kit is better than having two partials.

Sell the D and finish out your K-1 kit. Later in life, get the 645'x' kit to fill in Medium Format love when funds allow.
06-28-2016, 08:15 PM   #4

I have the K-1 plus 24-70 as well as a 645z. I would not give up a 645d plus 35mm combo to downsize to the K-1. Just my personal preference. There's something about that larger sensor that is special. From what i'm seeing with the 24-70 it is good but not fantastic. There are some rather good Samyang wide angle manual primes you could pair with the K-1 as a stop gap measure. That's probably what I'd do if I were in your position.

06-28-2016, 09:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

dude, really?
I would never give up a luscious CCD sensor-equipped 645D for the K-1. Not a chance.
For my ultra wide needs, i am currently using the K3II. Hope soon there is a wide prime for 645 and i'm prepared to wait for it.
06-29-2016, 08:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Interesting problem. I find that I am neglecting my 135 format now that I have the 645. I tend to use either the K-5/ 645 combo, or my good old MZ-7. I am not sure what I would have done if I had the K-1, but I guess I am in a similar situation except that both my cameras are film. Having said that, even though I have a bunch of lenses for the MZ-7, and I still have a shopping list that I would like to get, I would not drop the 645 as it is different enough... My two cents.
06-29-2016, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
dude, really?
I would never give up a luscious CCD sensor-equipped 645D for the K-1. Not a chance.
For my ultra wide needs, i am currently using the K3II. Hope soon there is a wide prime for 645 and i'm prepared to wait for it.
Well maybe. It's an economic thing. I'm in a holding pattern for now.
I want it all but I have to make some choices.

So much of my shooting happens far away from roads and cars so much of the time the 645 gear is just too much to carry, especially if I need to bring a bunch of stuff just to survive the wilderness.

06-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Don't get rid of your D! Because if you do, we won't get to see your photos here anymore :-/
But seriously, I think the K-1 looks to be a great camera, especially for some of the work you do. OTOH, i agree with comments above that you would be giving up something from the larger sensor to the smaller. I definitely see that between my A7R and my Z in the tonalities, especially in the darks and subtle tonalitites.. Subtle tonalities seem to feature in your work.....
06-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll try not to do anything rash. Really I'd love to keep it all. Maybe some good jobs will come my way and pump up my camera account to a place that can support it all. I do love the D and especially the color transitions...

But if I do get rid of it you are still welcome to look at my pics on Flickr, Facebook, Instagram, other forums here, or my website!
I'd also still have the film 645 but it's more involved to get the photos out of it!
06-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Well maybe. It's an economic thing. I'm in a holding pattern for now.
I want it all but I have to make some choices.

So much of my shooting happens far away from roads and cars so much of the time the 645 gear is just too much to carry, especially if I need to bring a bunch of stuff just to survive the wilderness.
was just surprised at the mention of it. I totally understand the size of rig issue and that is real, especially someone like you who packs survival gear for your treks.
Good luck deciding.
06-29-2016, 10:50 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just weighing my options. I appreciate the concern.
06-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wish I had such a nice dilemma to contend with

Seriously though, this is tough but as you say the economics of the situation sort of dictate. However you will still be able to enjoy MF photography with your film gear when you feel like it, I could see myself someday using MF film so its great you will still have this.

So, were I in your position I would sell. I've had the K-1 for about 6 weeks now and although nothing is perfect...it is my ideal dslr. I love how FF lenses look with this body both in terms of the dynamic range rendering and finally being able to utilize the native FOV. I'm sure you've experienced this and more already with your K-1. For me it was easy since APSc to FF is a step up in terms of the things I like to photograph (landscapes, closeups, macro primarily) plus I already had quite a few FF lenses so transitioning wasn't too hectic. I did keep my pair of K-01s (regular and IR converted) and a some DA limited lenses to use for a high quality very portable kit. I know many people have a dislike of the K-01 but it works exceptional for me for what I use if for.

In terms of UWA lenses, I've also been giving this some thought. The 15-30mm is nice but anytime I've had UWA zooms in the past...at least 95% of the time the photos I took with it were at the widest end. So in that respect I'm most interested in the Samyang (or some variant) 14mm/2.8. The cost of entry is very low for a lens that has the potential to produce as high an image quality as it does...yeah it has some quirks but I can live with that and manual focus doesn't bother me for an UWA anyways. I recently picked up an FA*24mm and it is stellar and wide already so the Sammy will definitely fill the UWA shoes for me while saving me a good deal of $ to use for another lens or whatever.

Your photos are great and will be great no matter the sensor anyways and you will probably be able to print large enough for your needs with FF. Good luck! Whatever you decide I look forward to viewing your work on whatever system you are using.
06-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind words. That is actually a route I'm considering and forgot to mention in my original post which is buy that Samyang/Rokinon 14 and then be covered there while I make up my mind for the long term. I also have crop cameras and nice UWAs for them too so I'm feeling a little extravagant with all this gear as well. I may be able to get over that part.
The 14 could see me through for a while so I may take that route sooner which leaves more future options to be indecisive about.
07-01-2016, 12:49 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I get the smaller rig idea. Just having travelled with the 645z and K-1 and looking at the results from both cameras, it is my personal opinion that to get results close to the D/Z, you need the K-1 on a tripod. I do not feel that it is a handheld companion for the medium format. In fact I get better results with the Z handheld than the K-1. Your experience may vary of course.

However, in saying all that, you have a 645D. If I had a 645D these days, I would have a new DFA 35mm and a DFA 90mm (or FA120) and that would be the kit for travel. Still light enough for trekking and travel.

When I look back at some of my favourite images they are from the 645D and that amazing bite it has. The K-1 does not have that. Also, many people do not agree with me on the following but for me it holds true.....I think the longer focal length used on the MF for the same field of view on FF, gives you better detail because the longer focal length renders a different perspective. At 100% I just feel more rewarded by the MF images and they put a smile on my face.

Think hard about the change.

Scott
07-01-2016, 07:48 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I got a K-1 and it might get me out of the 645 Digital scene but I can't decide. I have a 645D and some lenses but wish I had a wider lens than 35mm but those lenses are so expensive I haven't had the money to get one. For less than one of those lenses (25 or 28-45) I can get a new K-1 and a nice wide lens plus get the use of my other old K mount lenses. That's tough to resist but I do enjoy shooting with the D too.
I'd love to get my hands on the new 15-30 but just emptied my account for the body so I need to wait. Unless I generate some capital by selling off some 645 gear. If I did that I would probably keep the primes and my film 645 and just unload the D and the zooms.
Hmmmm.
I guess if it was me I'd keep the 645 system you have. You can shoot quite wide with 15mm on your K-1. You can always save up for wider glass for the 645D. Personally I don't worry about the portability as much. I've hiked around the badlands with my 67 kit & DSlr on my back and a heavy tripod on my shoulder.

If you want the new 15-30 you could just sell the 16-30 to help fund it considering the heavy overlap.