Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2016, 03:06 PM   #1

Exposure simulation and Live View 645Z

When shooting with external flash and Live View in the studio it is not in any way helpful for the camera to simulate the exposure as it would be without flash (f8 and 1/125th reads as almost black of course). Has anyone come across a way to turn exposure simulation off??
Thanks in advance

07-09-2016, 03:17 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ricgal Quote
When shooting with external flash and Live View in the studio it is not in any way helpful for the camera to simulate the exposure as it would be without flash (f8 and 1/125th reads as almost black of course). Has anyone come across a way to turn exposure simulation off??
Thanks in advance
Simulation only takes place in M mode, but there's no way to disable it.

The only workaround (which is sort of a hack) is to put the camera in TAv mode and select a very narrow auto ISO range, such as 100 to 125. This should give you a well-lit live view image at all times.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-10-2016, 12:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have the camera in a custom mode that works like "X" on the dial, and it does adjust live view automatically, although it still tends to be on the dark side unless I select spot meter and move the focus point to a dark area on the subject.

The two problems are that there is no way to select exposure sim or auto brightness manually like you can on a Canon camera, and there is a limit to how much the preview exposure can deviate from the meter, which is totally baffling to me. On my old 5D2 there can be a 10EV difference between your set exposure and the preview so long as you scroll the EV comp far enough, but on the Z it won't let you brighten/darken the image past the meter's range - which is often not enough.
07-11-2016, 01:41 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys
And it would be soooo easy for them to sort it