Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2016, 11:03 PM   #1

Lost ability to use to SV, TV or TAV--mode dial only selects AV, M, X, Bulb

On my two year old 645Z (has worked flawlessly until now) I appear to have lost the ability to switch to any mode other than AV or M (or X or bulb). The last time this happened, turning on auto ISO (Green button and ISO pressed together) fixed the problem. Doing this now does not fix the problem (though it does switch on Auto ISO). Every mode except X, M and Bulb shows "Aperture Priority." What am I (stupidly) doing wrong? Or is my camera's firmware somehow corrupted?

07-10-2016, 11:05 PM   #2

I would suggest a factory reset as a starting point. Let us know if that helps or not.
07-10-2016, 11:24 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rweissman Quote
On my two year old 645Z (has worked flawlessly until now) I appear to have lost the ability to switch to any mode other than AV or M (or X or bulb). The last time this happened, turning on auto ISO (Green button and ISO pressed together) fixed the problem. Doing this now does not fix the problem (though it does switch on Auto ISO). Every mode except X, M and Bulb shows "Aperture Priority." What am I (stupidly) doing wrong? Or is my camera's firmware somehow corrupted?
This could also happen due to loss of communication with the lens. Try cleaning the camera and lens mount, and trying a different lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-10-2016, 11:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
I just reset to factory defaults, but that did not solve the problem. The mode dial settings SV, TV, TAV all trigger AV. The mode does not change except for moving between AV, X, M, Bulb.

07-10-2016, 11:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter

This happened to me on my K5 - exact same issue. Never resolved it. I now use this lens in X mode for macro - grrrrr

---------- Post added 07-11-16 at 04:42 PM ----------

oh sorry, I don't get M or Av either so not exactly the same (but similar issue)
07-10-2016, 11:43 PM   #6

Original Poster
Tried three lenses "new" 35, 55, 75; all work fine. Contacts look pristine. All lenses operate flawlessly. How do you trigger TAV? By just turning the mode dial (as I remember, as long as Auto ISO is on)? Am I forgetting to do something?
07-10-2016, 11:50 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Could simply be a broken mode dial. I'm assuming your aperture rings are set to "A" (this shouldn't even matter though)?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-11-2016, 12:08 AM   #8

Original Poster
Adam, thanks. I had neglected to check-- the lens was set to a specific aperture. Setting to back to "A" fixed the problem. Exactly the reminder I was looking for. Much thanks! I've been a member of the forum for about 30 minutes, and, already, it has proven to be of real value. Thanks again!

07-11-2016, 12:46 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
It's great to hear when a problem like this turns out to have a fix!
07-11-2016, 12:47 AM   #10
Site Supporter

What about me

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
It's great to hear when a problem like this turns out to have a fix!
07-17-2016, 02:10 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
whew, that was close!
07-18-2016, 03:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rweissman Quote
Adam, thanks. I had neglected to check-- the lens was set to a specific aperture. Setting to back to "A" fixed the problem. Exactly the reminder I was looking for. Much thanks! I've been a member of the forum for about 30 minutes, and, already, it has proven to be of real value. Thanks again!
Funny, this "problem" happened to me just yesterday, I was playing around with the aperture dial for the first time since ever and noticed that TAv mode was suddenly changing shutter speed and aperture... it took me a good two minutes of finagling with the camera to realize that it was because the lens was off A.