Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2016, 02:18 AM   #1

645z which portable flash

Hello,

What portable studio strobes do you use with your 645z? Which triggers will work? I can't seem to find anything that would work with high speed sync, but can you suggest which triggers I would need with the following strobes - I could shoot with an ND grad in the day to get a large fstop and still use flash instead of worrying about hi sync if it comes to it.

I have been looking at the following and can't really figure out which would work? I'm only really interested in manual operation

Elinchrom ELB400

Phottix Indra500

Godox

Profoto B1 - this one I have decided against because of all the weight being in the head.

Can anyone chip in which they are using and which triggers would be needed and recommended?

07-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by jonohake28 Quote
Hello,

What portable studio strobes do you use with your 645z? Which triggers will work? I can't seem to find anything that would work with high speed sync, but can you suggest which triggers I would need with the following strobes - I could shoot with an ND grad in the day to get a large fstop and still use flash instead of worrying about hi sync if it comes to it.

I have been looking at the following and can't really figure out which would work? I'm only really interested in manual operation

Elinchrom ELB400

Phottix Indra500

Godox

Profoto B1 - this one I have decided against because of all the weight being in the head.

Can anyone chip in which they are using and which triggers would be needed and recommended?

I use two battery powered portable strobes, the Indra 500 and Adorama's Flashpoint RL-600B. I use primarily Pocket Wizard Plus III's to trigger both strobes and they work well. I also use the PW's to fire my Bowens and Profoto studio strobes. The benefit to me using the PW's is the built in receiver for my studio strobes and my light meter is PW enabled. So measuring in the field and studio is a breeze. I have to admit I really like the Flashpoint unit, portable, good price and the trigger that comes with the unit works just great with the 645z, and you can adjust the power levels remotely. Adorama frequently has deals on Flashpoint and I think there is one going on right now.

I am not all that interested in TTL flash units - but would love to be able to fire the strobes at shutter speeds greater than 1/125th and may take a look at the Acon trigger with the Pentax firmware upgrade, but $$'s and the fact I picked up a 135 LS for less than the Acon triggers is holding me back

07-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #3

I got to demo the Profoto B1 and Elinchrom ELB400 before, and have to say the ELB400 just seemed to be easier to work with, especially with how light the head was. You literally could get away with the cheapest of stands without fear of it tipping over. I mounted the Quadra head on a stroboframe for fill flash with some ND filters using a 645Z. (ND was because of the 1/125 sync). Just remember if you plan on using other Elin modifiers you'll need an adapter.

If you want a high speed sync strobe for Pentax, Priolite is the only one. And they just announced their new strobe the Priolite Ultra strobe (500ws battery powered). And its as small as a Paul Buff Einstein.