Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #1

Thoughts on the 67II

I've been looking at the 67II and wondered what others that have this camera thought of it. The only negative I've read is the film transport system but, if it's anything like it's predecessors that shouldn't be any problem.

Most of the ones I've seen for sale are on ebay from Japan. Any problems there in general?

07-13-2016, 06:48 PM   #2

Location: Rainforest of Canada Vancouver Island and the sagebrush of southern Okanagan, BC
67ii

Lovely camera the 67II, bought mine new in 2002. At first on a consistent basis got 10 juicy negs and sometimes 11. During a trip to Cuba in 2006 this dropped to 8 or nine. Took it in to a local repair depot who informed me the 67II unlike the regular 67 has a solenoid operated film advance that can go awry. Paid $300.00 CDN to have sorted but problem still persists from time to time. Still have the camera and still love it. My only regret is due to the 8/9 negs on one roll I missed a great shot of a Cuban cowboy on his horse outside of Trinidad de Cuba.
07-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ColColt Quote
I've been looking at the 67II and wondered what others that have this camera thought of it. The only negative I've read is the film transport system but, if it's anything like it's predecessors that shouldn't be any problem.

Most of the ones I've seen for sale are on ebay from Japan. Any problems there in general?
I bought my 67II from a camera store in Japan, it had recently been serviced my Ricoh/Pentax Japan. I believe they will still work on the 67II??

Absolutely no issues with the 67II and it's light years better than the 67 and 6x7 which I also have. The AE prism with it's matrix metering is also a dream to use, as well as the ability to swap focusing screens in seconds.

Phil.
07-14-2016, 12:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi67 Quote
Lovely camera the 67II, bought mine new in 2002. At first on a consistent basis got 10 juicy negs and sometimes 11. During a trip to Cuba in 2006 this dropped to 8 or nine. Took it in to a local repair depot who informed me the 67II unlike the regular 67 has a solenoid operated film advance that can go awry. Paid $300.00 CDN to have sorted but problem still persists from time to time. Still have the camera and still love it. My only regret is due to the 8/9 negs on one roll I missed a great shot of a Cuban cowboy on his horse outside of Trinidad de Cuba.
This troubles me greatly.

08-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I purchased my 67ii in 2012. The previous owner had bought the camera new in 2003 and used it only briefly. During the four years of my ownership I have used the 67ii regularly alongside the Pentax K-5 (a wonderful combo by the way), and never had any problems with the camera. I have also read that the film transport is possibly the achilles heal of the 67ii, but one just needs to treat it gently, like a delicate musical instrument, and then this should not represent any problem. The 67ii is a wonderful camera. On the one hand very easy to use, on the other hand featuring quite complex matrix metering, a gigantic viewfinder and an electronic shutter.

If you manage to find a 67ii in good condition and at a good price, go for it! You will not regret it!

Last edited by bjolester; 08-14-2016 at 10:09 PM.
09-07-2016, 02:23 PM   #6

What a camera! I use it since 2000, not as much as I would. Just B/W.I love to shoot with it, but to keep it in my hand too.... This is not a great argument, I am perfectly aware of ...... Of course it's an enormous MF with all consequences. But once learned what it means to shoot in MF and what it means to take pictures with a Pentax 67, it's done: you will never go back more. Great, great camera!!!
10-01-2016, 01:35 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by apeiron Quote
What a camera! I use it since 2000, not as much as I would. Just B/W.I love to shoot with it, but to keep it in my hand too.... This is not a great argument, I am perfectly aware of ...... Of course it's an enormous MF with all consequences. But once learned what it means to shoot in MF and what it means to take pictures with a Pentax 67, it's done: you will never go back more. Great, great camera!!!
A friend of mine wants to trade his pelican case full of Pentax 67II gear (including the AE finder, 5 SMC 67 lenses -67 LS 1:4 165mm + 1:4,5 75mm + macro 1:4 135mm + 1:2.8 165mm + 1:4 200mm, extension tubes, Metz 45 CT-5 flash unit) for my Canon EF 16-35mm F4 for $900 (I am moving away from Canon). He switched to Canon and is no longer interested in carrying all this equipment with him. I checked every function possible (minus loading an actual film) and things seem to work great. The body has very minor scuff and has very low mileage (less than 2000 clicks) overall everything looks very great. This camera is heavy and the mirror flapping sounds quite loud (not sure how often I will use the mirror lock up feature). I am tempted to accept the trade. I noticed you can't get a 67ii from the US, they are all sold from Japan. I really think this package is worth more than US$900. I want to convince myself this is an excellent deal, but is it? Though I will not be shooting this often, will I be able to find a shop to repair this if needed in the future?

I have uploaded some pictures of the goods:

Pentax 67II | Flickr

10-01-2016, 02:58 PM   #8

Location: Rainforest of Canada Vancouver Island and the sagebrush of southern Okanagan, BC
67ii

Scoop that bundle up!! Even though I am shooting K3 and K1 I just can't let my 67II go. My 2 favourite lenses on it is the 100mm and the 45mm
10-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #9

That mirror flap really scares me... Do you exclusively shoot with a tripod? What film brand are you using?
Thx
10-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxzilla Quote
A friend of mine wants to trade his pelican case full of Pentax 67II gear (including the AE finder, 5 SMC 67 lenses -67 LS 1:4 165mm + 1:4,5 75mm + macro 1:4 135mm + 1:2.8 165mm + 1:4 200mm, extension tubes, Metz 45 CT-5 flash unit) for my Canon EF 16-35mm F4 for $900 (I am moving away from Canon). He switched to Canon and is no longer interested in carrying all this equipment with him. I checked every function possible (minus loading an actual film) and things seem to work great. The body has very minor scuff and has very low mileage (less than 2000 clicks) overall everything looks very great. This camera is heavy and the mirror flapping sounds quite loud (not sure how often I will use the mirror lock up feature). I am tempted to accept the trade. I noticed you can't get a 67ii from the US, they are all sold from Japan. I really think this package is worth more than US$900. I want to convince myself this is an excellent deal, but is it? Though I will not be shooting this often, will I be able to find a shop to repair this if needed in the future?

I have uploaded some pictures of the goods:

Pentax 67II | Flickr
lucky you. that's a steal. I would buy it in a heart beat. let me know if you don't want it, I will buy from him.
10-02-2016, 04:10 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That mirror flap really scares me... Do you exclusively shoot with a tripod? What film brand are you using?
Thx
It's a non issue if you hand hold and use a shutter speed of 1/125 or higher. (For lenses up to 200mm)

Phil.
10-02-2016, 04:19 PM   #12

Pentax67II

Mirror flap no problem, yes loud but not an issue for me, all shots hand held, film, mostly T Max 400
10-02-2016, 05:56 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Thx
The shutter is more of a problem than the mirror but that is with the longer lenses (200mm +). I use a tripod for 95% of my work and use Fuji Provia and Velvia.
10-02-2016, 06:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Serious photographers using either the 67 or later 67II cameras must be doing something right. Of those I hang out with I only ever see a 67 or 67II mounted on a tripod! The resulting images are beyond beautiful (as well they should be!) and way beyond average sharpness of handheld. That's the thing; the very best image quality is obtained by tripod-mounted work, especially with slow speed films such as Provia 100F and very especially, Velvia 50 (which I often rate at EI40). Tiny 6x4 or 5x7 prints paraded about the masses as being "supersharp" often turn out far less so because the photographer wanted to get the shot handheld, but it is mirror slap and to a lesser degree, shutter inertia, that f*cks up the shot, and the unsharpness will be plainly and painfully visible at big enlargements. The 67II has better egonomics for handheld photography as opposed to the inveterate 6x7 / 67 beasts, but it is still not a camera I would risk when my aim is for the finest quality image, not second best or "near enough". YMMV!
10-02-2016, 09:37 PM   #15

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That changeover price for your 16-35 sounds very good to me.
I started with a cheap 67 with mirror lock-up, loving the experience so much that I upgraded to a 67 II. I haven't regretted the upgrade although the financial investment is about 4x the original.

My rationale for the upgrade to the 67 II was driven by the matrix metering and the easier to use mirror lock-up button. The MLU function is a must-have feature when looking for a 67 model IMO.