Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2016, 02:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

645Z BIG Files. Help With How To Upload themIn My IMAC

I just purchased the 645Z and looking to find the Best way to upload the images from my Card reader to my Hard drive. I don't want to over do the Main HD.
Is there another way to upload the images and delete the ones I don't want then PP them in LR. Thank you
I doHave a LaCie External HD where I am constantly moving my photos to it to keep my Computer HD with free space.

07-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Your best bet it to directly transfer to an external HDD if you need to, or better yet an NAS so you can access them off of various devices. I don't have a 645z, but I do have a K1 and I simply dump my photos onto my NAS.
07-22-2016, 02:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I presume you're referring to the card reader built-in to your iMac. Are you using a software application to transfer files (such as Adobe Bridge) or are you using the Mac OS filing system? Either way, you can nominate which drive you save to. An application that catalogues the files in the categories you nominate is convenient, though you may prefer to do it manually. I'm not sure I understand the problem you're describing.
07-22-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess what I am asking is should I transfer my images from my SD card from my external Card reader connected to my Computer or transfer the images to my External HD then delete the ones I don't want then transfer them to LR ? Thank you

07-22-2016, 07:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rollsman4 Quote
I guess what I am asking is should I transfer my images from my SD card from my external Card reader connected to my Computer or transfer the images to my External HD then delete the ones I don't want then transfer them to LR ? Thank you
Transfer to teh extrernal, pull the ones you want to keep into your computer, delete the rest.
07-22-2016, 09:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If your external hard drive is connected to the USB port in your iMac, using the iMac's onboard card reader will probably be quicker. Again, you can nominate which drive and directory you transfer the files to. If you transfer the files directly to the internal hard drive, you can cull them there and use your external drive as a backup, which is highly recommended in any case.
07-23-2016, 03:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great. Thank you

07-23-2016, 02:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get a USB 3.0 card reader.
07-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Get a USB 3.0 card reader.
The more recent iMacs have on-board USB 3.0. There's no advantage to be gained in plugging a USB 3.0 card reader into a USB 2.0 port, and no point in using one with a USB 3.0 port when the same USB bus powers the in-built card reader.
07-23-2016, 02:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those Z files will give a computer indigestion for sure!