Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-27-2016, 01:59 PM   #1

Lens question

Hi folks

I'm interested in the P-645D. I have some Pentax-A and FA lenses. Does they fit the P645D perfectly or .....

What exactly is different to the Pentax-D FA lenses??

Dan

07-27-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If the lenses you have are already Pentax 645 lenses, they will work on the 645D, the same as on the 645. There will be a crop factor, so the lenses will have a smaller field of view than on the 645 film cameras.
07-27-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sugus Quote
Hi folks

I'm interested in the P-645D. I have some Pentax-A and FA lenses. Does they fit the P645D perfectly or .....

Dan
Yes, A and FA lenses will work just fine. A lenses are manual focus, whereas all others have AF.

DA / D FA lenses are just the current generation. DA lenses are designed for the crop format of 44x33, whereas D FA and FA lenses will work fine on 645 film too.

Most modern lenses have weather sealing and silent AF. You can find the details for each lens here:

645 Lenses - Pentax Lens Search

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-28-2016, 01:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi folks

Dan
The letter "A" stands for Automatic aperture, all the 645 lenses have this obviously.
The letter "F" means Focus, so it has automatic focus as well, but due to the introduction of smaller-than 645 sensors, you can also think of it as meaning "full-frame".
The letter "D" means digital, in other words the lens has optics built to higher tolerances required by digital sensors.
And as Adam mentioned "DA" is still fully automatic, it will simply vignette on film, or if Pentax ever makes a full-frame digital 645. The only lenses to have this designation are the 28-45mm zoom lens and discontinued 25mm, which also had a D-FA variant with a wider integral hood.

07-28-2016, 06:51 AM   #5
KGH

Photos: Gallery
Hi folks

Dan
Yes. They will work. All will work with intended functions. Even the leaf shutter models.
07-28-2016, 08:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ok, I am going to pop in here and ask a question that I think has eluded everybody so far.

Sugus, Do you already have a medium format camera and lenses or do your lenses fit like the K3, K5, K30, K50 cameras?

I ask this because, the way I am understanding your opening question, you do not have a 645 but are wondering if your existing lenses for your K mount camera will fit it.

Am I understanding you correctly?

If I am, I don't believe the K mount lenses will fit the medium format 645D with out an adapter. If you get a 645D, you will need to get medium format lenses to fit the 645D body.
07-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Ok, I am going to pop in here and ask a question that I think has eluded everybody so far.

Sugus, Do you already have a medium format camera and lenses or do your lenses fit like the K3, K5, K30, K50 cameras?

I ask this because, the way I am understanding your opening question, you do not have a 645 but are wondering if your existing lenses for your K mount camera will fit it.

Am I understanding you correctly?

If I am, I don't believe the K mount lenses will fit the medium format 645D with out an adapter. If you get a 645D, you will need to get medium format lenses to fit the 645D body.
@ bigdavephoto

I have

2x P645
1x P645NII
1x Pentax-A (645) 2.8/45mm
1x Pentax-A (645) 2.8/55mm
1x Pentax-A (645) 2.8/75mm
1x Pentax-FA (645) 5.6/55-110

I just thinking over to buy a second hand P645D. Therefore I can use my lenses. But .......... the P645D and all P645 Digital's have NO medium format sensor. Thats bad!

Daniel

Last edited by sugus; 07-29-2016 at 09:22 AM.
07-31-2016, 08:05 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

But .......... the P645D and all P645 Digital's have NO medium format sensor. Thats bad!

Daniel
This is incorrect. These cameras have what are now clearly understood by users and manufacturers as digital medium format sensors. Yes, they are smaller than film sensors, but they are quite a bit larger than digital "FF" sensors. Older legacy lenses have the "disadvantage" of us needing to understand that we need to "convert" them in our own minds in terms of their "equivalence", but with the advantage that their image circles are "larger" compared to the smaller digital medium format sensor. The new DFA lenses may have image circles that are more closely aligned with the smaller sensors.

IMO, anyone who has a problem with this is being not only prissily dogmatic, but allowing that dogma to to keep them from enjoying some of the best photography they would ever experience with medium format. My casual results with my Z best all but my absolute best efforts with medium format film cameras, including my 6x9, and at least equal those. I won't belabor the point in this quick post. I would venture these folks have not shot with the Z, more than likely.

I am very much old enough to recall lots of film medium format users turning their noses up at 645 format, so these current quibbles about what is a "real" medium format strike me as comical. Anyone with a glancing knowledge of the history of photography's technical side knows that both medium and large formats were always a mixed salad of sizes.

Finally, waiting for a full 6x6, 6x7, or 6x9, sensor will have you waiting for a very very long time, w/o some stunning new manufacturing advances. You'd best have exceptionally deep pockets as well---which is already true if you wish to buy one of the several backs that approach 645 (which wasn't even 645 in film a lot of times!) if I'm not mistaken.
08-01-2016, 12:09 AM   #9

Original Poster
The P645D has a 44 x 33 mm CCD sensor. And thats not really a medium size format. As far as I know is the limitation the CCD sensor. A CMOS sensor would be fit medium format.

Daniel

Last edited by sugus; 08-01-2016 at 01:51 AM.
08-01-2016, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I nearly weighed in here but decided to take some pictures instead ;-)
08-01-2016, 07:56 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The P645D has a 44 x 33 mm CCD sensor. And thats not really a medium size format. As far as I know is the limitation the CCD sensor. A CMOS sensor would be fit medium format.

Daniel
This is arguing semantics. If 135 is the largest of "small format" and 4x5 is the smallest "large format" then medium format is anything in between and the 645D's 44x33mm sensor is just that. Yes, it is smaller than the 645 frame area of 56x40.5mm but it's still "medium" in size. The 645Z has a CMOS sensor and it is the same size.

If you want to get closer to the 645 frame size, get a Hasselblad H6D. You might have to mortgage your house.
08-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Buffy Quote
This is arguing semantics. If 135 is the largest of "small format" and 4x5 is the smallest "large format" then medium format is anything in between and the 645D's 44x33mm sensor is just that. Yes, it is smaller than the 645 frame area of 56x40.5mm but it's still "medium" in size. The 645Z has a CMOS sensor and it is the same size.

If you want to get closer to the 645 frame size, get a Hasselblad H6D. You might have to mortgage your house.
And that is relatively new. The next Pentax 645 update will probably use a similar sensor.
08-02-2016, 05:32 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
And that is relatively new. The next Pentax 645 update will probably use a similar sensor.
That's an interesting scenario. If it does, will Pentax be able to keep it at the same price point? And, if so, would a well-priced 645x drive used 645z prices low enough for me to afford one?
08-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
I nearly weighed in here but decided to take some pictures instead ;-)
You´re killing me!
08-02-2016, 11:11 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buffy Quote
That's an interesting scenario. If it does, will Pentax be able to keep it at the same price point? And, if so, would a well-priced 645x drive used 645z prices low enough for me to afford one?

I would hope that, if such a thing occurred, Pentax would offer a reasonable lens upgrade path for all the people to whom they have sold non-full frame 645 DA lenses. I would love to upgrade to a possible future full frame 645 Pentax, but would think twice about it having bought DA lenses. Now if they said "we will release DFA versions and offer a 80% reduction to DA owners", I'd be impressed enough to invest.

Last edited by Ed Hurst; 08-02-2016 at 11:30 PM.