Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2016, 02:03 AM   #1

Best speed memory card for 645z

Have some troubles in decision what memory card to buy for my pentax 645z. I don't understand is it any point to buy 300 mb/s card because the camera buffer is alway overflow and it seems to me that there will be no difference between 150 mb/s and 300 mb/s cards. Can someone advise me articles or review on those point

08-18-2016, 03:06 AM   #2

Original Poster
Does anyone know if the 645z will support the very fast SDXC cards rated UHS-II? The published specs on the camera only mention UHS-I . You would think that a sensor as large as 50 megs would benifit from the fastest cards available. This was taken from the San Disk site:

SanDisk Extreme PROŽ SDHC™/SDXC™ UHS-II Memory Card

Available capacities: 16GB, 32GB, 64GB**

Performance/speed: Up to 280MB/s** read, Up to 250MB/s** write; U3 video recording speed**
The connector for UHS-II has a second row of pins, beyond that of UHS-I, which provides additional throughput. It appears that UHS-II cards will work in the Z, just not any faster than UHS-I cards. So, investing in UHS-II cards for the Z would be a waste of money.

Based on the reviews I've seen, it performs pretty well with just UHS-I.

Is it true???????
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/266583-will-645z-...#ixzz4Hg1rYq3C
08-18-2016, 03:29 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 645Z has a UHS-I slot and it writes up to around 45 Mb/s, so any UHS-I card with a write speed above that (i.e. Sandisk Extreme Pro) will give you optimal performance.

UHS-II speeds cannot be used and those cards will revert to UHS-I mode if inserted in the camera. There aren't any Pentax cameras that support UHS-II yet, but I'm sure this is just around the corner.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-18-2016, 04:41 AM   #4

Original Poster
Adam, thank you very much for full answer.

---------- Post added 08-18-16 at 05:03 AM ----------

So as I understand this one sd card will be ok Delkin Devices 64GB Elite UHS-I SDXC Memory Card (Class 10 / U3) ?

64GB Data Storage Capacity
Class 10 / UHS-I
Ultra High Speed Class 3 (U3)
Read Speed: 95 MB/s
Write Speed: 80 MB/s
633x Speed Rating
Built-in Write-Protect Switch

08-18-2016, 08:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

128GB cards do work also - that's what I have in mine...
08-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SergeyUK Quote
Adam, thank you very much for full answer.

---------- Post added 08-18-16 at 05:03 AM ----------

So as I understand this one sd card will be ok Delkin Devices 64GB Elite UHS-I SDXC Memory Card (Class 10 / U3) ?

64GB Data Storage Capacity
Class 10 / UHS-I
Ultra High Speed Class 3 (U3)
Read Speed: 95 MB/s
Write Speed: 80 MB/s
633x Speed Rating
Built-in Write-Protect Switch
Should be fine. But just bear in mind that the advertised speed may be pretty far off the speed in practice for less reputable brands. I'd recommend sticking to sandisk or lexar.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, that's your question answered in a flash already.
08-19-2016, 08:59 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thnx everyone for help and advices

10-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #9

I am using the SanDisk ExtremePro 280MB/s SDHC 64GB UHS-II in the 645z now. However there are limitations... Once formatted in the camera, the card is working, however quite slow... When inserted in the MBPro for copying files and reinserted in the camera, it says "card not formatted". At least no data is lost - but you have to reformat the card in the camera for using it again. So do not take the card out during shooting, copy your images and you are safe again. But again, I do not have the impression that these cards can be used at full speed...
10-09-2016, 10:07 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by macz5024 Quote
I am using the SanDisk ExtremePro 280MB/s SDHC 64GB UHS-II in the 645z now. However there are limitations... Once formatted in the camera, the card is working, however quite slow... When inserted in the MBPro for copying files and reinserted in the camera, it says "card not formatted". At least no data is lost - but you have to reformat the card in the camera for using it again. So do not take the card out during shooting, copy your images and you are safe again. But again, I do not have the impression that these cards can be used at full speed...

I am not sure that UHS-II standard is supported by the 645Z (open question...)