Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2016, 01:21 PM   #1

Pentax 67 prism magnifiers

hi, has anyone tried the new Seagull 1x-3.3x right angle magnifier on their Pentax 67 prisms? (or any other alternatives?) I need a magnifier for help focusing!
thanks in advance!
d david

08-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Nope but the folding hood with its pop-up magnifying glass works well for better critical focus and is at a right angle too. I use it exclusively.
08-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks tuco. anybody else want to share their experiences? (does anyone know how to get rid of these "spell-check" suggestions!)

Last edited by ahotflash; 08-22-2016 at 10:12 PM.
08-22-2016, 05:54 PM   #4

Original Poster
thanks everyone, I received a "zoom magnifier" which goes from 1.08-1.60 in the mail today which magnifies the center of the viewfinder.

08-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The original Pentax 6x7 or the newer generation Pentax 67 right-angle finders are good for assisting, but you are provided with a smaller image and the meter needle requires some squinting to view correctly. Those right-angle finders with adjustable dioptre are the best as you will not need to scoot around looking for a correction lens to fit onto the P67 eyepiece.

I use the right-angle finder when I cannot fully bend down to a low level or when composing a scene in an awkward position. Additionally, with the f4 45mm and 165mm f4 LS lenses I often use the central-prism magnifier. This allows very, very precise focusing.

Right-angle finders and magnifiers occasionally pop up on FleaBay. Many would show signs of fungus and/or dust. But very good specimens can be found.
08-22-2016, 10:10 PM   #6

Original Poster
hi silent street, I just bought a mint Pentax right angle finder with, as you know, has an adjustable diopter. This is a big, big difference from the stock prism which I have (and does not have a diopter). The image is clearer and sharper using the right angle finder (with a diopter). I just got a zoom magnifier and although it is plastic seems to work ok. I've yet to shoot a roll with it to see if it is focusing correctly. I always use a light meter for finding exposures as I develop, and print my own stuff. In Black and White film. (to find ones' own working black and white film densities for exposures).
08-23-2016, 12:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ahotflash Quote
hi silent street, I just bought a mint Pentax right angle finder with, as you know, has an adjustable diopter. This is a big, big difference from the stock prism which I have (and does not have a diopter). The image is clearer and sharper using the right angle finder (with a diopter). I just got a zoom magnifier and although it is plastic seems to work ok. I've yet to shoot a roll with it to see if it is focusing correctly. I always use a light meter for finding exposures as I develop, and print my own stuff. In Black and White film. (to find ones' own working black and white film densities for exposures).

All good! And most of us using the P67 use a separate meter, after all the camera only meters to 1 second! I seldom rely on the TTL meter on the camera, except in a hurry, preferring instead to use a Sekonic L758D multispot to thoroughly go over a scene (I use transparency film exclusively with B&W film committed to pinhole work, and treated the same by way of metering).

It took me 8 days to disassemble, clean out the fungus, reassemble and test from my otherwise-mint-condition right angle finder. It is an essential little helper!