Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2016, 02:06 PM   #1

645D or Canon 5DSr for high res prints

guys i need a camera to make big high quality prints. what's the best choice please canon 5dsr or pentax 645d. Thank you very much.

08-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 5DSr has a higher resolution, so if that's what you're after I'd recommend it over the Pentax. However, if you can afford the 645Z, it would be a different story.

The Pentax K-1 (with its pixel shift feature) is also not to be overlooked if your subject matter is stationary

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-25-2016, 02:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by toolasm Quote
guys i need a camera to make big high quality prints. what's the best choice please canon 5dsr or pentax 645d. Thank you very much.
How big is big? What surface are you printing on? What is the intended viewing distance?
08-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd like to hear about the OP's background in photography and what equipment he already owns, if any.

08-25-2016, 02:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The 5DSr has a higher resolution, so if that's what you're after I'd recommend it over the Pentax. However, if you can afford the 645Z, it would be a different story.

The Pentax K-1 (with its pixel shift feature) is also not to be overlooked if your subject matter is stationary
didn't know about the 645Z thank you sir .
08-25-2016, 02:40 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
How big is big? What surface are you printing on? What is the intended viewing distance?

How big is big? the biggest .

What surface are you printing on? something big to hang on the wall

What is the intended viewing distance? very close distance .
08-25-2016, 02:43 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I'd like to hear about the OP's background in photography and what equipment he already owns, if any.

my first car was a ferrari this will be my first camera .

08-25-2016, 02:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When you get the camera, you'll have to post a photo of the car!
08-25-2016, 02:57 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

In which case you ought to be looking at a Hasselblad H5D or something like that
08-25-2016, 02:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Keep in mind the Pentax 645Z is a big camera and very advanced. No DSLR is as easy to use as a consumer point&shoot, but medium format even less than a classical DSLR. And then if you want to get good photos you will also have to set up light and digitally develop the photos (shoot raw dng and use Lightroom or something like that to develop it).
Reason I'm saying this is that there are plenty of people using expensive cameras like D800E and 5DIII, but get mediocre photos because they don't really know how to use it. Its like those stores of people who buy a Hayabusa as their first bike and die within a week, or the guy who took a Ferrari for a test drive before buying it an immediately crashed it.. Expensive, high powered tools do not guarantee amazing results.
And not to mention that cameras only record the image - the lens actually renders it. So you need a high resolution lens to fit on your camera (note that lenses and cameras have all kinds of mounts and they are not compatible across brands. Even some brands produce different mounts, like Pentax 645 system has different lens mount than the K-mount system). A high end lens can cost as much as the camera or more.

Honestly, you might consider just hiring a photographer with a Pentax 645Z or Hasselblaad or some other high resolution modern camera. They will do all of that for you and deliver finished files or even prints (keep in mind, if you are taking huge photos or ultra high resolution photos, you will practically need an industrial strength printer as well). The work will be easier for them to do because they already have the equipment and knowledge

Tl;dr: Get a 645Z or Pentax K-1 and use Pixel shift mode. Tripod, 2sec timer, lowest ISO, set up lights (mind their colour tint and the heat they produce), shoot raw, use Lightroom to develop (or the SilkyPix software that comes with camera if you will use Pixel shift), find a quality print shop
K-1 will be easier to handle as its not such a huge, massive camera. And its results are nearly as good, depending on subject

Last edited by Na Horuk; 08-25-2016 at 03:06 PM.
08-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #11
Pentaxian

How big is big? the biggest .

What surface are you printing on? something big to hang on the wall

What is the intended viewing distance? very close distance .
Don't mean to be obtuse but why in God's name would you print huge and view close up? That goes against all received wisdom on printing and viewing distances. So I'm interested in your answers
08-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Keep in mind the Pentax 645Z is a big camera and very advanced. No DSLR is as easy to use as a consumer point&shoot, but medium format even less than a classical DSLR. And then if you want to get good photos you will also have to set up light and digitally develop the photos (shoot raw dng and use Lightroom or something like that to develop it).
Reason I'm saying this is that there are plenty of people using expensive cameras like D800E and 5DIII, but get mediocre photos because they don't really know how to use it. Its like those stores of people who buy a Hayabusa as their first bike and die within a week, or the guy who took a Ferrari for a test drive before buying it an immediately crashed it.. Expensive, high powered tools do not guarantee amazing results.
And not to mention that cameras only record the image - the lens actually renders it. So you need a high resolution lens to fit on your camera (note that lenses and cameras have all kinds of mounts and they are not compatible across brands. Even some brands produce different mounts, like Pentax 645 system has different lens mount than the K-mount system). A high end lens can cost as much as the camera or more.

Honestly, you might consider just hiring a photographer with a Pentax 645Z or Hasselblaad or some other high resolution modern camera. They will do all of that for you and deliver finished files or even prints (keep in mind, if you are taking huge photos or ultra high resolution photos, you will practically need an industrial strength printer as well). The work will be easier for them to do because they already have the equipment and knowledge

Tl;dr: Get a 645Z or Pentax K-1 and use Pixel shift mode. Tripod, 2sec timer, lowest ISO, set up lights (mind their colour tint and the heat they produce), shoot raw, use Lightroom to develop (or the SilkyPix software that comes with camera if you will use Pixel shift), find a quality print shop
K-1 will be easier to handle as its not such a huge, massive camera. And its results are nearly as good, depending on subject
I've been using Photoshop. But you right about proper handling the camera learning to see light through an artist's eye learn using lightroom I am ready for it we're very lucky we have the internet and lynda.com maybe i will start with Pentax K-1 using Pixel shift technique. the printing will be with eBay Photo Center. Thank you for your excellent suggestions .

---------- Post added 08-25-16 at 03:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
In which case you ought to be looking at a Hasselblad H5D or something like that

My dad had a Pentax when i was a little boy the name stuck with me i hate Hasselblad they faked the moon landing i'm joking .
08-25-2016, 03:46 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Don't mean to be obtuse but why in God's name would you print huge and view close up? That goes against all received wisdom on printing and viewing distances. So I'm interested in your answers

Actually on this specific point, I may have a different preference from yours. I love to make huge prints and take them in from the viewing distance that large prints require. But, once I have absorbed the overall impact, I love to walk close to the print and study/enjoy details; I will often walk around the picture doing that, returning to the wider view then going close again for more detail. By doing that, I feel I inhabit the scene. So for that reason, I want to achieve images that will print large but retain loads of detail close up as well. Unless it's an impressionistic sort of shot of course...

Last edited by Ed Hurst; 08-25-2016 at 04:25 PM.
08-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Actually on this specific point, I may have a different preference from yours. I love to make huge prints and take them in from the viewing distance that large prints require. But, once I have absorbed the overall impact, I love to walk close to the print and study/enjoy details; I will often walk around the picture doing that, returning to the wider view then going close again for more detail. By doing that, I feel I in habit the scene. So for that reason, I want to achieve images that will print large but retain loads of detail close up as well. Unless it's an impressionistic sort of shot of course...
That's actually a way of interacting i can relate to.

I'd be really interested to see a blind study that determined what type of resolution is required to satisfy such a person.

There simply is no definitive information on how much is enough. Personally I'm convinced you even for such a person, 200 DPI expanded to 300 or 360 DPI depending on the printer would be enough for even the pickiest person. I'm waiting to see som kind of definitive work that says I would need more.
08-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Actually on this specific point, I may have a different preference from yours. I love to make huge prints and take them in from the viewing distance that large prints require. But, once I have absorbed the overall impact, I love to walk close to the print and study/enjoy details; I will often walk around the picture doing that, returning to the wider view then going close again for more detail. By doing that, I feel I in habit the scene. So for that reason, I want to achieve images that will print large but retain loads of detail close up as well. Unless it's an impressionistic sort of shot of course...
I can see your reasoning here, but you aren't talking about simply looking close up. You have to be able to see the whole image too. The 300 dpi is the golden statistic for printing but viewed properly how many would know the difference between 300 and 200 dpi without being told which was which?