Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2016, 02:31 AM   #1

Is there a problem with my Pentax 67 shutter?

I tested out a Pentax 67 I recently bought on eBay. Seven of the ten shots I took turned out fine, but the last three have a weird banding down the right side. My photo lab suggested I might have a shutter sync problem.

I was shooting at 1/1000 on a sunny day, and the battery was quite low. Could this be the issue, or is the shutter on its way out?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
EZ Controller  Photo 
08-26-2016, 05:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes. It is called 'shutter capping'. I have experienced this on cold days (below zero temperatures). And only at the shortest shutter speeds. The first curtain is overtaken by the second one. In grave cases it looks like this:
08-26-2016, 05:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is not so severe on your camera. That is just 'tapering'. Maybe a new battery is enough or a little more use.
08-31-2016, 08:26 PM   #4

The battery was mentioned. One problem I've had like this was when using alkaline 6V batteries in the 6x7. They just don't seem to provide enough current to operate consistently. I've never had problems with lithium or silver oxide.

08-31-2016, 10:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JBemus Quote
The battery was mentioned. One problem I've had like this was when using alkaline 6V batteries in the 6x7. They just don't seem to provide enough current to operate consistently. I've never had problems with lithium or silver oxide.
A lithium battery is not really a good choice in any of the Pentax 6x7 / 67 bodies. A very steep death dive that occurs suddenly can actually leave shutter and mirror activation in limbo. This is well documented and known to cause serious jamming of many auto wind-on cameras that can take lithium but do not relay the correct battery-level state, and are thus predisposed to unexpected events — jamming, incomplete shutter travel, mirror paralysis.... Silver oxide batteries are the ones recommended in the Pentax 6x7 and 67 bodies, or the alkaline alternative, and there should be no issues with either type. A sticky solenoid could well be the problem, but this necessitates disassembly of the camera to get to the solenoid on the right side of the mirror box (viewed from behind camera). Long periods of inactivity can lead to this sticky solenoid problem, rather than reasonably constant use and age is a factor in many instances involving the early 6x7 bodies.
09-01-2016, 06:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Silver oxide batteries are the ones recommended in the Pentax 6x7 and 67 bodies,
+1

Yep Silver Oxide batteries for all my 6x7 and 35mm cameras. The exception is the 67ii, as it uses different CR123A batteries that i don't think were ever available in Silver Oxide.

Phil.
09-01-2016, 09:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I use silver oxide too but have tried the others. The silver oxide ones are getting difficult to find tho. Just found some at onlybatteries.com in Canada.

09-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
I use silver oxide too but have tried the others. The silver oxide ones are getting difficult to find tho. Just found some at onlybatteries.com in Canada.
Yeah hard to find, but I'm lucky that a local camera store in Vancouver has these available for the 67 or 6x7 bodies:

http://kerrisdalecameras.com/spec_sheet.html?catalog[name]=Varta-V28PX-Batte...ids][0]=618700

Phil.
09-01-2016, 04:19 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The ones from onlybatteries are much cheaper but also made in China, so can't say about the quality.
09-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is quite challenging to find 6v silver oxide batteries for the P67 here in Australia. Going by eBay, the majority of batteries are listed in the UK or Germany. At shop-front level here are unknown $2.00 Chinese brands and I do not (and never will) be tempted to use these. The silver oxide battery I have in my P67 at the moment dates from a purchase made in New Zealand in April 2015. I should be carrying a spare or two just in case I trip the MLU nib when packing the beastie away (thankfully I tape it over with fluoro-coloured tape so if there is no tape visible, that means it aint safe!).