Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2016, 10:49 PM   #16
Pentaxian

My experience with the 645D (and the Z ) is that it has less headroom in the highlights than the shadows so I have always exposed for the highlights. There is plenty of room in the shadows to pull on the D even though it has a little lower DR than the Z. I wouldn't describe it as a fault, more a feature.

09-16-2016, 11:26 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Does your camera have a digital preview? If so, use it. Preview the scene and look at the histogram. Adjust the camera-suggested exposure to give you a histogram with no clipping.

My camera --the K-5--seldom gives a 'correct' reading when I meter. Don't just blindly follow what your camera says is a correct exposure. Use the histogram to ensure that all the important tonal values are captured. What the camera tells you is merely a starting point.
09-17-2016, 12:23 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablo Villegas Quote
Thanks, I know that slide film is like that, but slide film has a 5 stop dynamic range, not 12, like this camera.
It's the principle that counts, you really want to nail exposure on this camera while avoiding clipping, although CCD sensors tend to "blow out" more gracefully then CMOS in instances where it's inescapable.
In terms of DR it's pretty much exactly like my 5Dmk2 was, only without the pattern noise in the shadows, so shadow recovery was more viable. But unlike the 5D, which had a good 1+ stops in the highlight region, you'll be lucky to get much highlight headroom on the D. The Z acts the exact same way, btw, all of the DR is in the shadows, and if you clip highlights the most you can hope for is 10% recovery in Lightroom before it just starts filling in with a flat color.
Just like the 5D, the 645D is also ISO variant, which means you should always raise ISO to get a good exposure instead of pushing in post, or you lose DR.
09-17-2016, 09:34 AM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!

Something strange happened that day, I cannot recreate it, even in full sunlight and overexposing by 2 stops against what my incident lightmeter said, ISO 100 1/500 F11, i cannot blow the same part of the airplane, it still retains detail. So its all good, maybe the matrix meter its overexposing by 3 stops or more, and yeah, the correctly exposed picture looks pretty dark inside lightroom, you can pull back all the detail in the shadows, but looks quite dark. _IGP4042.jpg | Pablo Villegas | Flickr

And the camera doesn't have image preview, it has image review, once you take the picture, but it takes about 8 seconds to finally be able to view it with the histogram, I'm gonna have to start carrying a lightmeter.

Thanks again, everyone!

09-17-2016, 12:02 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
And the camera doesn't have image preview, it has image review, once you take the picture, but it takes about 8 seconds to finally be able to view it with the histogram, I'm gonna have to start carrying a lightmeter.
That's normal, the 645D is notorious for how long it takes to generate a review image, especially if you have the histogram on. Turning off in-camera corrections speeds it up slightly.
09-17-2016, 03:19 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
thanks....interesting...the image impresses by its dd, but it looks like yellow is a problem...
09-18-2016, 08:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablo Villegas Quote
Here's the RAW DNG file... Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

it's very strange, because the shot its not even overexposed, if anything it's underexposed.
My gut feeling is that there is nothing wrong with the camera - although you need to be checking a little more just to confirm to your own satisfaction.

The image itself may be misleading as you are shooting what appears to be smooth plastic, hence there is really no detail to be brought out of the image. With a JPEG you may have enough headroom to open up by about 2.5-3 stops if you spot read a highlight.

Note your camera was set to spot meter for this shot and it looks like the spot centre coincided with the side of the propeller and the red bar underneath the seat leading to 'overexposure' - still as there is no detail in the plastic is this a real concern?

Also while it will not affect your raw the JPEG picture setting is VIbrant

Last edited by TonyW; 09-19-2016 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Correction of what the meter was reading