Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #16
Senior Member
CRPhoto's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 254
From the amount of lens I see no "wow" factor, 6 lens...but only 6. The 645Z has access to lots more. Sure, some old ones but I'm sure new ones will keep coming. As for the EVF, not a fan. Is the sensor the same SONY of is it a Fuji development?

09-19-2016, 08:59 PM   #17
Site Supporter
gavincato's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 247
QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
From the amount of lens I see no "wow" factor, 6 lens...but only 6. The 645Z has access to lots more. Sure, some old ones but I'm sure new ones will keep coming. As for the EVF, not a fan. Is the sensor the same SONY of is it a Fuji development?
it's a fuji sensor. if it's remotely like the sensors they use in their smaller cameras it'll be great. I bet they nail the colours.

And yeah, stacks more lenses for pentax but massive variances in quality being very old.

My 35/3.5, 55/2.8 and 120/4 are very sharp. The rest of the ones I own aren't - not a big deal for me as a wedding guy but there are huge differences in quality between the various lenses you can put on a 645z. I would expect these 6 new fuji lenses would be a bit sharper & more consistent being new designs.
09-19-2016, 09:13 PM   #18
Senior Member
CRPhoto's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 254
QuoteOriginally posted by gavincato Quote
it's a fuji sensor. if it's remotely like the sensors they use in their smaller cameras it'll be great. I bet they nail the colours.

And yeah, stacks more lenses for pentax but massive variances in quality being very old.

My 35/3.5, 55/2.8 and 120/4 are very sharp. The rest of the ones I own aren't - not a big deal for me as a wedding guy but there are huge differences in quality between the various lenses you can put on a 645z. I would expect these 6 new fuji lenses would be a bit sharper & more consistent being new designs.
Thanks. Hopefully this will put on pressure on Pentax to release more lenses. This Fuji is really aimed towards the Pentax.
09-19-2016, 09:26 PM - 7 Likes   #19
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,535
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
. I class this as a real game changer.
I class this as just another camera. To me Photography isn't a game. Clients are only interested in results - if you can get the most out of the 645D( Or 645Z), what will this new camera bring to the table? more capital expenditure on something you don't really need?


QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
And we are still using 25 year old lenses on our Pentax 645z
Big deal, "modern" 50mm lenses have designs that can be traced back past 100 years.


Last edited by Digitalis; 09-19-2016 at 10:17 PM.
09-19-2016, 09:31 PM   #20
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,436
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I class this as just another camera. To me Photography isn't a game. Clients are only interested in results - if you can get the most out of the 645D, what will this new camera bring to the table? more capital expenditure on something you don't really need?




Big deal, "modern" 50mm lenses have designs that can be traced back past 100 years.
Archived
09-19-2016, 09:56 PM   #21
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 92
Personally I think Pentax should be spurred to release more new 645 lenses as promised - especially some light primes. It looks like the 645z will still be a cheaper entry to MF and frankly the size and weight is a good thing for on-tripod landscape shooting. I think Fuji has just completely smashed hasselblads mirrorless MF plans as the two cameras are comparable in price and size but Fuji has more lenses and better features and a much bigger user base who might upgrade to MF. I'm going to be happy with my 645z and K1.
09-19-2016, 10:00 PM   #22
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,423
QuoteOriginally posted by Gyroscope Quote
I'm going to be happy with my 645z and K1.
I'll just be happy with my K1!
09-19-2016, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
gavincato's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 247
QuoteOriginally posted by Gyroscope Quote
Personally I think Pentax should be spurred to release more new 645 lenses as promised - especially some light primes. It looks like the 645z will still be a cheaper entry to MF and frankly the size and weight is a good thing for on-tripod landscape shooting. I think Fuji has just completely smashed hasselblads mirrorless MF plans as the two cameras are comparable in price and size but Fuji has more lenses and better features and a much bigger user base who might upgrade to MF. I'm going to be happy with my 645z and K1.
I really can't fathom what is going on at pentax. they just need to release a f/2 prime to keep the portrait/wedding crowd happy, and a ultra wide to keep the landscape guys happy. Then they'd have a very nice complete system of modern lenses, with a catalogue of older lenses to supplement it.

So say if they made a 23mm and a 110mm f/2, they'd have ;

- 23mm
- 28-45mm
- 35mm
- 55mm
- 90mm
- 110mm

All modern & all good performers. It's a complete system!

09-19-2016, 10:08 PM   #24
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado Front Range
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 177
That's quite a warm reception from the Pentax faithful! But before you start panic-selling your 645Ds and Zs, have a good look at that EVF under various extreme lighting conditions. The XT-1 I checked out had a much-praised EVF. It was sharp, sure, but too contrasty. It rendered a sunlit street scene as a silhouette show of hollow shadows and chalky highlights... and this was in Seattle! I work in Denver, where the sun is twice as bright. The EVF may look bright and entertaining at the sales counter, but don't be fooled. If, on the other hand, they made this on the X-Pro model, with a hybrid OVF, I'd be more tempted.

Despite that criticism, mirrorless MF makes sense for compactness. The mirror box of a DSLR is that much larger than 35mm, as 645D/Z owners know. Half the camera's volume is an empty box. Removing that could easily make the camera an inch thinner. I haven't yet seen photos or stats that show this, but I'd expect it to save over two inches of depth over a 645D with a lens attached. That changes the way a camera handles. You can carry at Supercamera under your jacket! But I already have that camera, at a fifth of the price. The K-1 is where I stand, saying "enough" against the tiresome & costly crusades for better & better technology.

Last edited by Wheatridger; 09-19-2016 at 10:10 PM. Reason: typo
09-19-2016, 10:16 PM   #25
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,535
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
Half the camera's volume is an empty box.
....The majority of a 4X5 or 8X10 camera is empty space.
09-19-2016, 10:29 PM   #26
Pentaxian
Thomasbrowphoto's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 335
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I class this as just another camera. To me Photography isn't a game. Clients are only interested in results - if you can get the most out of the 645D, what will this new camera bring to the table? more capital expenditure on something you don't really need?
Another camera yes. An important point to make however is also how a camera feels in hand. I absolutely love how my fuji X100T handles and feels. If fujifilm can bring those ergonomics over to this new MF system, I think that can only be a good thing. Also from an enthusiast's point of view, it's not just about the clients it's about the experience and feel you have when using the tool making your art. More competition in the camera market in my eye's is a good thing.

Last edited by Thomasbrowphoto; 09-19-2016 at 10:39 PM.
09-19-2016, 10:42 PM   #27
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,535
QuoteOriginally posted by Thomasbrowphoto Quote
More competition in the camera market in my eye's is a good thing
MF is a niche market,the per unit sales volume of MF camera systems is dwarfed by 35mm and APS-C format camera systems, an overcrowded niche market can be a bad thing*. Mirrorless MF has been around for a long time: this is the only proprietary consumer oriented system that is based around the concept.

*Look at Mamiya....wait, where did they go?

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-20-2016 at 03:03 AM.
09-19-2016, 10:53 PM   #28
Pentaxian
Thomasbrowphoto's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 335
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
MF is a niche market,the per unit sales volume of MF camera systems is dwarfed by 35mm and APS-C format camera systems, an overcrowded niche market can be a bad thing*. Mirrorless MF has been around for a long time: this is the only proprietary consumer oriented system that is based around the concept.

*Look at Mamiya.
Yes, it is indeed a niche market. Competition in terms of pushing development amongst manufacturers.. its how things progress.
09-20-2016, 12:04 AM   #29
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 896
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I class this as just another camera. To me Photography isn't a game. Clients are only interested in results - if you can get the most out of the 645D( Or 645Z), what will this new camera bring to the table? more capital expenditure on something you don't really need?
Amen, brother.
09-20-2016, 12:22 AM   #30
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 156
What a beautifully conceived camera. As someone said somewhere else: a photographer's camera. Or as Gavin Cato said, a Pentax 23mm and a 110mm would get me excited again. But then the Fuji body ... so well designed . .. major drool factor.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, 645z, camera, dslr, evf, filters, focus, frame, fuji, fuji mirrorless medium, issues, japan, landscapes, lens, lenses, medium format, mirror, pentax, photography, plane, quality, sensor, shot, shutter, tests, tiltable
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuji GFX Medium Format Announced. Winder Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 58 01-09-2017 05:33 AM
Fuji Medium Format Camera to be announced on September 19 interested_observer Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 35 09-14-2016 05:29 AM
Phase One Mirrorless Medium Format interested_observer Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 5 11-14-2014 02:24 PM
Interesting - Phase One releasing mirrorless Medium Format Cameras itshimitis Pentax Medium Format 4 11-14-2014 09:57 AM
Pentax medium format mirrorless camera Big Dave Pentax Medium Format 6 07-04-2014 11:19 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:25 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top