Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From the amount of lens I see no "wow" factor, 6 lens...but only 6. The 645Z has access to lots more. Sure, some old ones but I'm sure new ones will keep coming. As for the EVF, not a fan. Is the sensor the same SONY of is it a Fuji development?

09-19-2016, 08:59 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
From the amount of lens I see no "wow" factor, 6 lens...but only 6. The 645Z has access to lots more. Sure, some old ones but I'm sure new ones will keep coming. As for the EVF, not a fan. Is the sensor the same SONY of is it a Fuji development?
it's a fuji sensor. if it's remotely like the sensors they use in their smaller cameras it'll be great. I bet they nail the colours.

And yeah, stacks more lenses for pentax but massive variances in quality being very old.

My 35/3.5, 55/2.8 and 120/4 are very sharp. The rest of the ones I own aren't - not a big deal for me as a wedding guy but there are huge differences in quality between the various lenses you can put on a 645z. I would expect these 6 new fuji lenses would be a bit sharper & more consistent being new designs.
09-19-2016, 09:13 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by gavincato Quote
it's a fuji sensor. if it's remotely like the sensors they use in their smaller cameras it'll be great. I bet they nail the colours.

And yeah, stacks more lenses for pentax but massive variances in quality being very old.

My 35/3.5, 55/2.8 and 120/4 are very sharp. The rest of the ones I own aren't - not a big deal for me as a wedding guy but there are huge differences in quality between the various lenses you can put on a 645z. I would expect these 6 new fuji lenses would be a bit sharper & more consistent being new designs.
Thanks. Hopefully this will put on pressure on Pentax to release more lenses. This Fuji is really aimed towards the Pentax.
09-19-2016, 09:26 PM - 7 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
. I class this as a real game changer.
I class this as just another camera. To me Photography isn't a game. Clients are only interested in results - if you can get the most out of the 645D( Or 645Z), what will this new camera bring to the table? more capital expenditure on something you don't really need?

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
And we are still using 25 year old lenses on our Pentax 645z
Big deal, "modern" 50mm lenses have designs that can be traced back past 100 years.

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-19-2016 at 10:17 PM.
09-19-2016, 09:31 PM   #20
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I class this as just another camera. To me Photography isn't a game. Clients are only interested in results - if you can get the most out of the 645D, what will this new camera bring to the table? more capital expenditure on something you don't really need?

Big deal, "modern" 50mm lenses have designs that can be traced back past 100 years.
Archived
09-19-2016, 09:56 PM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally I think Pentax should be spurred to release more new 645 lenses as promised - especially some light primes. It looks like the 645z will still be a cheaper entry to MF and frankly the size and weight is a good thing for on-tripod landscape shooting. I think Fuji has just completely smashed hasselblads mirrorless MF plans as the two cameras are comparable in price and size but Fuji has more lenses and better features and a much bigger user base who might upgrade to MF. I'm going to be happy with my 645z and K1.
09-19-2016, 10:00 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gyroscope Quote
I'm going to be happy with my 645z and K1.
I'll just be happy with my K1!
09-19-2016, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gyroscope Quote
Personally I think Pentax should be spurred to release more new 645 lenses as promised - especially some light primes. It looks like the 645z will still be a cheaper entry to MF and frankly the size and weight is a good thing for on-tripod landscape shooting. I think Fuji has just completely smashed hasselblads mirrorless MF plans as the two cameras are comparable in price and size but Fuji has more lenses and better features and a much bigger user base who might upgrade to MF. I'm going to be happy with my 645z and K1.
I really can't fathom what is going on at pentax. they just need to release a f/2 prime to keep the portrait/wedding crowd happy, and a ultra wide to keep the landscape guys happy. Then they'd have a very nice complete system of modern lenses, with a catalogue of older lenses to supplement it.

So say if they made a 23mm and a 110mm f/2, they'd have ;

- 23mm
- 28-45mm
- 35mm
- 55mm
- 90mm
- 110mm

All modern & all good performers. It's a complete system!

09-19-2016, 10:08 PM   #24
Site Supporter

That's quite a warm reception from the Pentax faithful! But before you start panic-selling your 645Ds and Zs, have a good look at that EVF under various extreme lighting conditions. The XT-1 I checked out had a much-praised EVF. It was sharp, sure, but too contrasty. It rendered a sunlit street scene as a silhouette show of hollow shadows and chalky highlights... and this was in Seattle! I work in Denver, where the sun is twice as bright. The EVF may look bright and entertaining at the sales counter, but don't be fooled. If, on the other hand, they made this on the X-Pro model, with a hybrid OVF, I'd be more tempted.

Despite that criticism, mirrorless MF makes sense for compactness. The mirror box of a DSLR is that much larger than 35mm, as 645D/Z owners know. Half the camera's volume is an empty box. Removing that could easily make the camera an inch thinner. I haven't yet seen photos or stats that show this, but I'd expect it to save over two inches of depth over a 645D with a lens attached. That changes the way a camera handles. You can carry at Supercamera under your jacket! But I already have that camera, at a fifth of the price. The K-1 is where I stand, saying "enough" against the tiresome & costly crusades for better & better technology.

Last edited by Wheatridger; 09-19-2016 at 10:10 PM. Reason: typo
09-19-2016, 10:16 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
Half the camera's volume is an empty box.
....The majority of a 4X5 or 8X10 camera is empty space.
09-19-2016, 10:29 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I class this as just another camera. To me Photography isn't a game. Clients are only interested in results - if you can get the most out of the 645D, what will this new camera bring to the table? more capital expenditure on something you don't really need?
Another camera yes. An important point to make however is also how a camera feels in hand. I absolutely love how my fuji X100T handles and feels. If fujifilm can bring those ergonomics over to this new MF system, I think that can only be a good thing. Also from an enthusiast's point of view, it's not just about the clients it's about the experience and feel you have when using the tool making your art. More competition in the camera market in my eye's is a good thing.

Last edited by Thomasbrowphoto; 09-19-2016 at 10:39 PM.
09-19-2016, 10:42 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomasbrowphoto Quote
More competition in the camera market in my eye's is a good thing
MF is a niche market,the per unit sales volume of MF camera systems is dwarfed by 35mm and APS-C format camera systems, an overcrowded niche market can be a bad thing*. Mirrorless MF has been around for a long time: this is the only proprietary consumer oriented system that is based around the concept.

*Look at Mamiya....wait, where did they go?

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-20-2016 at 03:03 AM.
09-19-2016, 10:53 PM   #28
Pentaxian

MF is a niche market,the per unit sales volume of MF camera systems is dwarfed by 35mm and APS-C format camera systems, an overcrowded niche market can be a bad thing*. Mirrorless MF has been around for a long time: this is the only proprietary consumer oriented system that is based around the concept.

*Look at Mamiya.
Yes, it is indeed a niche market. Competition in terms of pushing development amongst manufacturers.. its how things progress.
09-20-2016, 12:04 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I class this as just another camera. To me Photography isn't a game. Clients are only interested in results - if you can get the most out of the 645D( Or 645Z), what will this new camera bring to the table? more capital expenditure on something you don't really need?
Amen, brother.
09-20-2016, 12:22 AM   #30

What a beautifully conceived camera. As someone said somewhere else: a photographer's camera. Or as Gavin Cato said, a Pentax 23mm and a 110mm would get me excited again. But then the Fuji body ... so well designed . .. major drool factor.