Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fuji mirrorless medium format.

Wow, just wow.

And we are still using 25 year old lenses on our Pentax 645z, and an OVF........

I don't know what to say, perhaps except for that my entire system will be going up for sale.

Damn.

09-19-2016, 03:43 PM   #2

6 lens announced with camera. That certainly poses a challenge to Pentax.
09-19-2016, 04:08 PM   #3

One of those 6 lenses will be a 23mm.
09-19-2016, 04:09 PM   #4

That 110/2 has my name all over it.

btw I certainly won't be selling my entire system. But I'm pretty sure i'll add the fuji. Probably just with the 110/2 and one of the mid range lenses, if the reviews come through ok. I have no doubt they will. I've always liked Fuji stuff.

09-19-2016, 04:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rfkiii Quote
One of those 6 lenses will be a 23mm.
That's what I need! I hope Pentax wakes up!
09-19-2016, 04:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Very exciting news. I shoot P645Z and fuji X.. and I always say I wish this fuji had a MF sensor in it! The camera looks very nice indeed. Wide lens, and a fast prime.. How it should be done.
09-19-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am glad you guys agree.

What I like and have been waiting for:

- EVF
- Tiltable EVF
- Rotatable EVF
- Tiltable screen in portrait mode
- 23mm Lens (18mm EQ) that takes 82mm filters
- No mirror box
- 800g weight, as apposed to 1.5kg

Just so much. I class this as a real game changer.

---------- Post added 09-20-16 at 10:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TheDocAUS Quote
6 lens announced with camera. That certainly poses a challenge to Pentax.
Pentax has been caught napping.......

09-19-2016, 05:57 PM   #8

The camera and lenses Pentax should have made while diddling with everything else.
09-19-2016, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Wow, just wow.

And we are still using 25 year old lenses on our Pentax 645z, and an OVF........

I don't know what to say, perhaps except for that my entire system will be going up for sale.

Damn.
The Fujifilm team have overturned the orthodoxy decisively. Their Photokina presentation was charming and convincing. They have taken us properly into the rationale of why mirrorless is the only game in town.
The sensor is a 33mm by 43mm 51mp sensor. Lenses focus the light into each photo-site. The sensor is purpose designed for this camera. The colour depth and intensity will be greater than ever. The removal of the mirror has created many advances in what can be done. Mirror slap is removed. The engineers say that the loss of that shock removes a shock that normally removes 15% of the resolution.
The removal of the mirror gives the opportunity to place the focal plane nearer to the rear elements of the new lenses. The normal story is that the mirror box pushes the lenses 70mm away from the film plane. It's like the way that Leica lenses sit with their rear elements close to the shutter. Fuji have created new lenses that are spectacularly good. And the short distance between the rear element and the film plane around 10mm means these lenses will resolve between 20 and 30 line pairs per mm across the frame. The angle of rays exiting the lenses is almost parallel. The distortions are practically zero. These lenses are spectacular. They will be good for better than a 100mp sensor when that becomes an option. The camera can present multiple aspect ratios. 1:1, 2:3, 3:4, 4:5, 6:7 and others. That can give you the classic compositional options that best suit the subject being shot. The electronic viewfinder is rotatable to allow its use with the camera at unusual angles. There is a whole set of accessories. Fuji has gone for the traditional layouts seen in the XT2 with dials for shutter speeds and iso setting. The focal plane shutter is 1/4000s capable. The image quality is game changing. The size looks to be in the ball-park of the full-frame Nikon and Canon lenses and bodies.
The price with a standard lens will be below $10,000 US. Sounds like an offer we cannot ignore.

This will break the full frame DSLR market and the medium format market in one blow. This is out in 2017 and promises to send everyone back to their drawing boards. Image quality is other worldly.

Fujifilm represents the new orthodoxy with its new G series design.

---------- Post added 09-19-16 at 06:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by copland35 Quote
The Fujifilm team have overturned the orthodoxy decisively. Their Photokina presentation was charming and convincing. They have taken us properly into the rationale of why mirrorless is the only game in town.
The sensor is a 33mm by 43mm 51mp sensor. Lenses focus the light into each photo-site. The sensor is purpose designed for this camera. The colour depth and intensity will be greater than ever. The removal of the mirror has created many advances in what can be done. Mirror slap is removed. The engineers say that the loss of that shock removes a shock that normally removes 15% of the resolution.
The removal of the mirror gives the opportunity to place the focal plane nearer to the rear elements of the new lenses. The normal story is that the mirror box pushes the lenses 70mm away from the film plane. It's like the way that Leica lenses sit with their rear elements close to the shutter. Fuji have created new lenses that are spectacularly good. And the short distance between the rear element and the film plane around 10mm means these lenses will resolve between 20 and 30 line pairs per mm across the frame. The angle of rays exiting the lenses is almost parallel. The distortions are practically zero. These lenses are spectacular. They will be good for better than a 100mp sensor when that becomes an option. The camera can present multiple aspect ratios. 1:1, 2:3, 3:4, 4:5, 6:7 and others. That can give you the classic compositional options that best suit the subject being shot. The electronic viewfinder is rotatable to allow its use with the camera at unusual angles. There is a whole set of accessories. Fuji has gone for the traditional layouts seen in the XT2 with dials for shutter speeds and iso setting. The focal plane shutter is 1/4000s capable. The image quality is game changing. The size looks to be in the ball-park of the full-frame Nikon and Canon lenses and bodies.
The price with a standard lens will be below $10,000 US. Sounds like an offer we cannot ignore.

This will break the full frame DSLR market and the medium format market in one blow. This is out in 2017 and promises to send everyone back to their drawing boards. Image quality is other worldly.

Fujifilm represents the new orthodoxy with its new G series design.
Ricoh Pentax, time for a medium format K-02 designed from the ground up as the whole package including lenses. Fujifilm have shown the way forward for high-end photographic tools.
09-19-2016, 06:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lacunapratum Quote
The camera and lenses Pentax should have made while diddling with everything else.
Correct. The people who buy Pentax and Fuji don't want what everybody else has, the K-1 is what everybody else has, less some. This is where Pentax should have been working towards.
09-19-2016, 06:43 PM   #11

Any tech heads, is it likely we can put other lenses on this Fuji body? Or would the sensor be too close?
09-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #12

... for example, almost don't dare to mention, those Mamiya 7 lenses? Any possibility to make an adapter that would connect the electronics? I know they aren't really designed for digital because of their short focusing travel, but I for sure would love to continue using them.
09-19-2016, 07:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As I predicted multiple times ...
09-19-2016, 08:01 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Will the price be also a "Wow it's so affordable"?
09-19-2016, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
the K-1 is what everybody else has
K1 is what nobody else has....its a unique FF that appeals to the niche for ASP-c Pentax shooters to step up to when the $$$ are available.

Ricoh,at this point in time, have given us a great camera for "our" price segment!