Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2016, 06:32 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
Found an image comparing the size of the GFX to the D810, it's pretty small even compared to a DSLR!
It's basically the same size. And give the Fujinon lens an equivalent focal length range as the Nikkor lens, and the size differential would be in the D810s favor.

09-21-2016, 07:06 PM   #77
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
All Pentax needs to do is to put their phenomenal "pixel shift" feature on a MF camera and they'll leapfrog ahead of everybody!
Yes, that would be a great feature, especially on the 645z which is a great camera.

But what Pentax really needs to do is work closer with Adobe to get a better conversion for the current pixel shift cameras on the market. The software Pentax includes is very limited IMO. Silkypix developer studio goes a long way to get there, but still is rough around the edges. (Plus their Mac version still won't open the pixel shift files).

I had really hoped that Phase One would support the pixel shift files when they added the K1 to Capture One, but looks like that won't happen.

Paul C
09-21-2016, 08:12 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Seem sensor is a lot smaller than 645= can made a smaller body than a 645
09-21-2016, 08:54 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Couple thoughts. To me it seems that pentax has missed a great opportunity. They could've developed a mirrorless 6x7 styled camera. But were comfortable where they were and now Fuji threatens their whole market. Next, maybe they didn't think of going this route due to the money and resources being pooled into the K-1. Could us pentaxians' desire for full frame have cost pentax an entire market?

09-21-2016, 11:35 PM   #80

I would have wished that camera would have had the Pentax name tag on top of it. But for whatever reason, Pentax hasn't gone that route.

Everything that's so intriguing about the Fuji seems to have disappeared from the Pentax portfolio as of today with the exception of 645D and 645Z cameras. The Fuji lens line-up is just a dream. According to rumors, Fuji has been working on the system for quite some time, and it shows. Those lenses, 23, 110/2, and a new 120 prime, and even the 63mm and a new 45mm show how much the minds of photographers were driving the GFX concept. The quirky camera shape. How Fuji. And then those flyers and web sites reminding future customers of Fuji's glorious past in medium format: the GSW690 and the GX680 with all its lenses. Fuji even had fantastic large format lenses. I guess what impresses me most is how well the GFX is developed.

I am grateful to Pentax for coming out with the 645D and the 645Z. Great bodies. I had all those old 645 and 67 lenses, and I was one of those who had been waiting for a decade without selling any of them. Pentax delivered, and now all those wonderful lenses continue to be used. They are at the verge of being old. Not too old, but somewhat. Pentax' new lenses have been seriously underwhelming for me, and I don't see much change. The only lens I found exciting was the 25mm, and that had a number of quality issues and is no longer manufactured. I am annoyed by the barrel distortion of the 28-45mm at the wide end, and I find 90mm as a medium format focal length utterly unusable. I am sure others will disagree. I find the new 35mm and the 55mm o.k.. I have them all. I am dreading the next two announcements with those zooms. Medium format for me is not about zooms. Zooms are for 35mm. In medium format, zooms are clumsy and slow. At least they don't fit my style. Ricoh has saved Pentax, but I am afraid they turn even the cameras and lenses into copy machines.

Others, I know, will disagree, but for me, Fuji just came out with a lens portfolio that 100% matches my shooting style. And I find the camera looks way cool. The only concern I have (nobody mentioned that so far) is that huge sensor exposed to the elements. There'll be a lot of sensor cleaning going on. But that's the only relative advantage of SLRs: the mirror protects the sensor from dust. Otherwise the Fuji is just what a medium format camera should be today, IMHO.

I have recovered from the immediate "I want it" reaction and I am not sure whether I'll fall for it. If they make an adapter for those Mamiya 7 lenses I'll bite. Otherwise, as others mentioned, the 645Z is a fantastic camera that can do a lot of things. It's hard to switch systems, especially if one has as many lenses as I have. 35mm digital has come awfully close toward realizing a level of sophistication that became the reason for me switching to medium format in the early 1980ies. The Sony A7RII and the Nikon D810, and probably others. Thus, I am not sure whether the GFX will ever become my camera. Well, yes, the 110mm, but I have a 110mm/F2 Planar for my Rolleiflex and chances are that while the Fuji will be sharper, the dreaminess of the the F2 Planar will not be matched.

After a few days I also realized that it really doesn't matter for me whether it has the Pentax name all over it. All the Pentax lenses are SLR designs. Even if this was a Pentax, chances are that Pentax would have had to develop an entirely new system, perhaps with a couple of adapters to fit the old lenses on the new camera. And then they would be awkward to use.

Hands down though, the GFX is a marvelous camera and a marvelous concept. It brings the love for detail and the passion for photography of an almost bygone era back into the digital world. Even though it's just a tool, the GFX is one I respect and admire.
09-22-2016, 01:02 AM   #81
Pentaxian

All this worship and there isn't yet a real world balanced view of this camera. On paper it does look fantastic and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted. There are all sorts of issues that haven't been thought of such battery issues, shutter lag and using an EVF for manual focussing when it is dark. Yes it looks fantastic and knowing Fuji they will come good on a quality but do we think mirrorless is going to break the medium format market when it hasn't broken the more prosumer 35mm and APS-C market? Much will depend on how good the EVF is and how long the battery lasts.
09-22-2016, 02:23 AM - 1 Like   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Seem sensor is a lot smaller than 645= can made a smaller body than a 645
Correct me if Iʻm wrong, but the sensors in both the Fujifilm and Pentax MF are the same size; approx. 44 x 33mm, while full frame is 36 x 24mm. Same is true in MF sensors (more or less) for Hasselblad, Leica, and some Mamiya models.

And even my 645 film camera does not actually record 60 x 45mm images; reality check 56 x 41.5mm which coincides with Mamiyaʻs 80MP MF DSLR only.

09-22-2016, 02:47 AM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Correct me if Iʻm wrong, but the sensors in both the Fujifilm and Pentax MF are the same size; approx. 44 x 33mm, while full frame is 36 x 24mm. Same is true in MF sensors (more or less) for Hasselblad, Leica, and some Mamiya models.

And even my 645 film camera does not actually record 60 x 45mm images; reality check 56 x 41.5mm which coincides with Mamiyaʻs 80MP MF DSLR only.
The interesting thing to me is that Fuji's hired guns have been arguing that there isn't really that much difference between APS-C and full frame because the sensor sizes are really close. The same could easily be argued here with full frame versus medium format.

Personally, I have never really bought Fuji's line of argument, but I have ended up with full frame, mainly because the cost is so much less. Full frame sensors are 60 percent of the size of the crop medium format, but even with the Fuji less than a third of the cost (assuming 1800 dollars for a K-1 and 6000 for the Fuji).
09-22-2016, 03:08 AM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The interesting thing to me is that Fuji's hired guns have been arguing that there isn't really that much difference between APS-C and full frame because the sensor sizes are really close.
In academia, we call this shifting the goal posts.
09-22-2016, 03:12 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
using an EVF for manual focussing when it is dark.
And focusing with an OVF in the dark is any better?
09-22-2016, 03:25 AM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
focusing with an OVF in the dark is any better?
It is a pleasure with an RF camera, or with a fast f/1.0~f/1.4 lens on an SLR.
09-22-2016, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
And focusing with an OVF in the dark is any better?
Shooting twilight images with both my 645Z and A7R2 on separate tripods the OVF is clearer than the EVF of the Sony. The Sony attempting WYSIWYG means there is lots of noise and edges are difficult to see. I don't rely on the the red edge focus assist in poor light.
09-22-2016, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #88

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote

There are 2 sizes of sensors made by Sony for MF :
- 50MP 33x44mm found in our (previously ?) beloved 645Z, shared by Hasselblad in X1D, H6D50C, and Phase One IQx50 backs, considered as crop,
- 100MP 54x40mm found in Phase One IQ3 100MP back and Hasselblad's H6D100C. Same size as previous 60MP and 80MP CCD backs from both companies, considered as full frame in medium format digital world.

Leica is 30x45mm, from different supplier, not Sony (CMOSIS design, made by STMicroelectronics I think, not sure)

---------- Post added 09-22-16 at 06:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
All this worship and there isn't yet a real world balanced view of this camera. On paper it does look fantastic and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted. There are all sorts of issues that haven't been thought of such battery issues, shutter lag and using an EVF for manual focussing when it is dark. Yes it looks fantastic and knowing Fuji they will come good on a quality but do we think mirrorless is going to break the medium format market when it hasn't broken the more prosumer 35mm and APS-C market? Much will depend on how good the EVF is and how long the battery lasts.

Almost exactly my thoughts... except that I still really don't like EVFs, even Leica Q's one, which should share the hardware with Fuji's EVF if I read correctly. So I have no hope for this one. But it is only me.
09-22-2016, 06:57 AM   #89
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have rarely seen users so excited by systems they can't hold in their hands. I understand you like the concept boys and girls.... but really? Don't you want to read a review?
09-22-2016, 07:28 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have rarely seen users so excited by systems they can't hold in their hands. I understand you like the concept boys and girls.... but really? Don't you want to read a review?
Not exactly a new trend, it's been this was since digital tech became a thing in photography. 5Dmk2 announced with 21mp when most cameras had 8-12, and suddenly film is dead. D800 announced with 36mp and 14stops DR and suddenly medium format is dead. 645Z announced and suddenly haha~ MF can play this game too! Fuji GFX 50S announced, and suddenly this happens, like clockwork. Every advancement in hardware has brought with it dozens of threads arguing about the aspects of what we had before with the new.

It's kind of hard to imagine the 5D2 as a cutting-edge camera today yes? and to think that in 2008 at least two photographers I personally know dropped MF film for it! Don't look too hard into this, it's all fun. People have heated arguments over smartphones that come out every year, and here we're hoping for at least something new every two years.

Last edited by Kolor-Pikker; 09-22-2016 at 08:01 AM.