Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
What Pentax need to do now more than ever is drop their plans out on the table and tell us what is coming and when, this way most will not dump their systems and head over to Fuji.

All the secrecy does not do them any favors.

10-01-2016, 09:05 AM   #137
Veteran Member

You're right. One always wants to know the future on their investments.
10-01-2016, 12:29 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For example, if Pentax has kept the larger body size and mirror box in preparation for a full frame 100mp sensor, AND the new zooms in the roadmap are D FA, then I would be inclined to stay.

If the DA 28-45mm was made just to cover crop and that is the future, then I will go to Fuji. Pentax has a tradition of OVF and I prefer EVF so if they have no plans for EFCS and EVF then I am gone. The future is in EVF technology and removing the mirror. BUT I say this not because I want a small mirrorless camera, but because I want a mirrorless camera, the advantages are clear. A smaller body is just an added bonus to the better quality imaging possible from the mirrorless system.

We just need some hints from Pentax as to where they plan to go.
10-01-2016, 09:24 PM   #139

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
When I said that the flange back distance would be an interesting feature, allowing you to use other manufacturers' lenses with an adapter. I think you have that love for that Contax lens...?
Yeah. The Contax is seriously hard to use on the 645z. It's worth the effort as when you get it right it's amazing. When I first started using it my in focus percentage was crazy low. Now it's pretty decent. I think it'd be a lot easier to use on the fuji with a evf to allow 100% view when manually focussing.

That said, that lens would become even better on a larger chip. So I'd take the larger chip hypothetical 645z replacement over the Fuji any day. But if everything stays silent from pentax I'll be one of the first in line for the Fuji. No intention at moment of selling the 645, but who knows long term?

I agree with the guy above who wrote that pentax just needs to tell us what they are planning.

10-01-2016, 10:12 PM   #140
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gavincato Quote
I agree with the guy above who wrote that pentax just needs to tell us what they are planning.
Hi Gavin, my name is Scott. You made me just realise that my name is not in a signature. Cheers

---------- Post added 10-02-16 at 03:14 PM ----------

I think Fuji's plan is to not have us using adapted lenses, but using Fuji lenses. So I think we will find that they will be quite aggressive with the introduction of a 70-80mm ish lens with leaf shutter within 2 years, plus they will have a roadmap with timelines on it, not just "in the future"
10-01-2016, 11:17 PM   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I think we will find that they will be quite aggressive with the introduction of a 70-80mm ish lens with leaf shutter within 2 years
Too short for portraiture on MF, and also at that FL with a leaf shutter they will likely be rather be slow lenses f/4.5~5.6.
10-02-2016, 12:32 AM   #142
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Too short for portraiture on MF, and also at that FL with a leaf shutter they will likely be rather be slow lenses f/4.5~5.6.
I am showing my lack of knowledge here with regards to commercial work, but would a normal lens be needed before a portrait lens for full body shots, models jumping etc?

10-02-2016, 04:00 AM   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I am showing my lack of knowledge here with regards to commercial work, but would a normal lens be needed before a portrait lens for full body shots, models jumping etc?
Distortion, close focusing limits are limitation with wide portrait lenses, I find lenses such as the Leica-APO Tele-Elmar-S 180mm f/3.5 and the Pentax 150mm f/2.8 both to be superb for portrait images, however for full body images 90~105mm lenses will be more desirable.
10-02-2016, 08:27 AM   #144
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
I think Fuji's plan is to not have us using adapted lenses, but using Fuji lenses. So I think we will find that they will be quite aggressive with the introduction of a 70-80mm ish lens with leaf shutter within 2 years, plus they will have a roadmap with timelines on it, not just "in the future"
Hey Scott, glad to know your name.
Well, I'm sure that is Fuji's plan....but as we saw with the Sony A(x) series the market will very quickly step in and provide what is absent, especially when it's something as easy to design and manufacture as an adapter. Will there be tolerance issues? Bien sur! But in the A(x) adapter market you've got everything from e FleaBay cheapo dumb adapters (some of which work well!) through mid-range Fotodiox adapters in 2 different flavors sometimes, all the way up to expensive Novoflex ones. So, don't bet against adapters hitting the market, regardless of Fuji's plans. And if Fuji is smart like a fox, they will embrace that adapter culture the way Sony did, at first semi-officially and then officially.
10-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #145

First off, I am a new poster, but I am not "new" as I have followed this forum for a number of years. I have a great respect for the sensibilities here and for the great photography that has inspired me. I have owned both the 645D and Z. I moved away from it to the Sony 7rii because of the weight and size. But the quality was always excellent. My current equipment plans are transitory until I see how the Fuji and 'blad announcements play out. My photography is landscape, some portrait, a lot of macro, and birds.

I am very intrigued with the Fuji plan. It covers most of what I do. If they produce a 300 or 400 at some point I would be set as crops, proven from the 645Z, should be very good. I don't need or want to carry the 800mm bazookas as my bird photos are in my backyard or hiking or at the beach.

I think Fuji is smart by staying away from FF. I agree that it is not much of a jump from APS. But APS to MF is, in my opinion, a good jump. Again, from my Pentax experience. I think we are at a point in digital development that I could be very happy for a long time with the current state and not change gear to keep up. I will never need 100mp and few of us will. Also, I think the market for the new MF cameras is bigger than most think. They are getting to a price point that is attractive to more people. I think of the cost of a full set up from Nikon or Canon to do what I want at the quality level I want and the price gap is closing and will continue. The larger sensor, for me, offers crop capability when I need it. The Sony is attractiive as is the 50mp canon for cropping. The larger sensor of MF offers more intangibles to me than full frame FF. I see the detail difference in my prints.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and offer a view. Frank
10-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #146
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablo Villegas Quote
You can have high speed sync with the 645D and 645Z if the flash supports it. You just need to get a Cactus V6ii. And that would probably work on the new Fuji as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think this will work with my Profotos (like a leaf shutter would)?
There are usually workarounds but my experience tells me that workarounds on long shoots and hectic jobs are a recipe for disaster - just more variables for shit to go wrong.

That doesn't address the whole lack of good professional/customer support. The flash sync thing I can live with, but would prefer not to. The professional support is the real reason I'm not sure I'll be using Pentax next. Not that I know how good Fuji's is, but I know that Hasselblad's is better, Fuji I would have to look into. The lens lineup they have is certainly looking good. Next year seems to be a good time to be in the market for MF that much I can tell.
10-03-2016, 03:17 PM   #147

no it won't work with profoto (unfortunately)

The priolite strobes do work at faster than 1/125 - but I found them a bit buggy (6 months back).
10-03-2016, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by petrakka Quote
I know that Hasselblad's is better
From my experience, Hasselblads professional service is top-notch.
10-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
From my experience, Hasselblads professional service is top-notch.
Not only are some brands have more extensive pro service, I also know it depends on who the photographer is or works for. Eli Reed, for example, shoots exclusively with Olympus as a Magnum photographer. Olympus has enough of a pro service for him that heʻs very well supported and happy. However, a local pro wouldnʻt get that type of support from Olympus.
10-04-2016, 07:36 AM   #150
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Not only are some brands have more extensive pro service, I also know it depends on who the photographer is or works for. Eli Reed, for example, shoots exclusively with Olympus as a Magnum photographer. Olympus has enough of a pro service for him that heʻs very well supported and happy. However, a local pro wouldnʻt get that type of support from Olympus.

Well sure, but I'm just a shmo who needs his camera to make a living - I am no brand ambassador or high profile dude. If Pentax wants to sponsor me and make sure I always have quick repairs and gear I can count on I am all ears. Until then me and many other 645D/Z user is probably entertaining a jump next year. It would be stupid not to at least look into. Especially given the experience my colleagues have had (get a new shutter, come back with faulty AF, Pentax asks for another 8-10 weeks for turnaround after it took almost 3 months to fix the prematurely faulty shutter to begin with). I've shot Nikon digital for 12 years now, never had so much as a hiccup like that. If I were to have something go wrong NPS has my back.