Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter

How to Set up Camera Profiles on 645Z

This might sound stupid BUT I have NO idea how to set up Camera Profiles with my 645Z. I am using LR 6. I read something on Huelight Camera profiles.
I am not sure where to even start to do this. Any Help Is Appreciated. Also, Which is the Best Profile to use for my 645Z?
I shoot mainly Portraits and Family groups and some Landscape. Thank you in advance.

10-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not an article- moved

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-05-2016, 05:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Not an article- moved
Hi Adam I wasn't sure where to post it. Can you tell me where it was moved to. Thanks
10-05-2016, 06:11 PM   #4
Forum Member

I'd recommend trying Anders Torger's 645Z profiles, as these provide really good colour rendition on raw files.

See this thread for more details:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/304845-new-camera-profile-645z.html

10-06-2016, 12:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter

For a recent version of Windows, you put the profiles in the following directory;
<Your username> AppData> Roaming>Adobe>CameraRaw>CameraProfiles .........you'll see many other profiles (.dcp files) in this directory.

Older versions of Windows and Mac's will be different.

I use the Huelight versions and they seem to be an improvement over the Adobe standard.

Bob

Last edited by Bob L; 10-06-2016 at 12:47 AM.
10-06-2016, 01:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulster Quote
I'd recommend trying Anders Torger's 645Z profiles, as these provide really good colour rendition on raw files.

See this thread for more details:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/304845-new-camera-profile-645z.html
It's hard to find the latest ones (v0.10.4) unless you know the address:
http://torger.dyndns.org/dcamprof-v0104-pentax-645z-neutral.dcp
http://torger.dyndns.org/dcamprof-v0104-pentax-645z-neutral-plus.dcp

IIRC top one is done strictly based off an X-rite color checker, plus version is manually tweaked to look better in some aspects. While I don't find them to be particularly accurate and require extra tweaking in post, they do indeed have nice colors.
10-06-2016, 03:39 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by rollsman4 Quote
This might sound stupid BUT I have NO idea how to set up Camera Profiles with my 645Z. I am using LR 6. I read something on Huelight Camera profiles.
I am not sure where to even start to do this. Any Help Is Appreciated. Also, Which is the Best Profile to use for my 645Z?
I shoot mainly Portraits and Family groups and some Landscape. Thank you in advance.
Does not sound stupid at all so don't let it stop you asking for opinion, you will probably be helping others that have not asked the question yet .

Important to remember that image colour is pretty subjective and you may prefer generally warmer or cooler colours than others, your memory of the recorded scene may well be different to the actual scene at the time of shooting and/or you may desire quite a large departure from the scene reality. Generally camera profiles are used to try and get a more accurate view to present when loaded into your editor of choice, taking into account the lighting conditions etc. and you would normally expect to do at least a little post processing to get the image the way you visualised at the time of capture.

So applying a camera profile may or may not help in getting to where you want the final image to be.

If you have fallen in love with the image on the back of the LCD then you may either try and replicate a camera profile using either X -Rite or Adobe DNG editor or you may consider just simply making a LR develop presets (or several for different purposes).
If you do want to try this route I would suggest that you start off with a pristine raw straight from camera into LR and make adjustments to this image then save as preset. If you want to match the look of the LCD with a camera preset then save image as raw and JPEG. Display both on screen and edit the raw to match the JPEG.

A quick comparison of image profiles applied to 645 image in LR showing Embedded, Adobe Standard and Anders Torger's Neutral and Neutral + versions.
10-06-2016, 04:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Tony. I appreciate the explanation and the comparisons. I will check into this and see what works for me. Thanks again, Dennis