Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2016, 09:35 AM   #1

Live View Shutter Issues 645z

dear all,

I'm the new guy on the forum! I've been reading here for a while and registered today since i have a quite annoying problem with my 645z's live view:

when i switch over to live view from any mode, with any lens, in any configuration sometime the shutter just wont open and expose the sensor... mirror flips up - but that's it.... the screen would show the "normal" display of the live view screen, black image, no error message etc. shutter button would do nothing... switching back and forth between normal and live view mode then seems to fix the issue in most cases, but sometimes i need to toggle 4-5 times to have a usable live view...

is anyone else experiencing this or a similar behaviour of the 645z?

thanks for your feedback,
regards,
tim

10-15-2016, 11:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Just an idea: send it to service. Would not be normal with any modern camera.
10-15-2016, 04:21 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This does sound like a mechanical defect of some sort. I'd try cleaning the lens contacts just in case it might be an electrical issue.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-16-2016, 01:41 AM   #4

Original Poster
@MJ: indeed service is in order. however, that's why i asked if somebody else experienced this issue. worst case the camera needs to go to japan, which means at least 10-14 days downtime for MF. probably not a biggie if you're shooting landscape for a hobby... renting a backup MF body turns expensive quickly....

@adam. thanks, checked all this already. filed an inquiry with pentax. hopefully their european service center can fix it.

10-17-2016, 09:46 PM   #5

Have you checked that you are running the latest 645Z firmware? If not, update if necessary and see if that fixes the issue. If it doesn't, or you're already running the latest firmware, have you tried activating Live View with a lens not mounted? I'm not clear from your description if you tried this. Look inside, do you see the mirror flip up and shutter open? If so, it's a sensor or electronics problem. If not, it's a mechanical problem that you should see with the mirror and/or shutter. Either way it will have to go in for service, but at least you'll have some idea of what to tell them needs fixing. I've found with Pentax service that it's good to be quite specific.

Also, if it goes in for service and has to be sent to Japan, I suspect you'd be extremely lucky to have it back in 10 - 14 days. The shortest service I've ever had on my Pentax digital 645 gear was 8 weeks (even for a relatively trivial issue, a broken cable release socket), while the longest was 22 weeks (for a shutter & mirror assembly replacement). So if you need to send it in, make plans in your shooting schedule to be without the camera potentially for a long time.
10-18-2016, 12:34 AM   #6

Original Poster
@royce: thanks for your comment. yes, latest firmware running. i did exactly this to check and see what's actually going on - that's why i stated the shutter would not open, but the mirror flips up... i just hope the european service center (hamburg) is able to fix this. i just can't for f....g two months! should have grabbed that hassy offer back then..... thanks!
10-18-2016, 05:41 AM   #7

Okay, then you've checked what you can check. Based on that it sounds like a mechanical shutter issue. My experience is these repairs have to go to Japan. I don't know if Ricoh has really improved the capability of regional repair depots over the past year. Certainly up through the end of 2015, the lack of capability in North America was highly aggravating, likewise the lack of a professional grade support offering on the level CPS or NPS. I run multiple camera bodies for that reason... it's a variation of self-insuring.