Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2016, 08:32 PM   #1

Exposure problems 6x7

Hello, I have a problem when my 6x7 is set to 1/1000, 1/500, 1/250 The exposures appear to be partially exposed with half or more of the image missing. All other shutter speeds appear to be fine with even exposures. The camera has been layed up for a long time, I'm just trying to breath some life into it again. Anybody have this problem before? Is it an expensive fix?

11-04-2016, 09:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The curtain travel times need to be adjusted. You will have to send it to someone who has the test equipment needed. Eric at Pentax Camera Service comes to mind.
11-05-2016, 02:56 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, I had a feeling that might be the problem, just wanted to see if anyone else came across this with a more serious outcome. The camera needs a good CLA anyway.
11-06-2016, 07:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by irishbeachboy Quote
Hello, I have a problem when my 6x7 is set to 1/1000, 1/500, 1/250 The exposures appear to be partially exposed with half or more of the image missing. All other shutter speeds appear to be fine with even exposures. The camera has been layed up for a long time, I'm just trying to breath some life into it again. Anybody have this problem before? Is it an expensive fix?
A more involved take on wonky shutter speeds is reasonably well known now.
A long, long spell without anything happening with these cameras (predominantly the old 1960s-era 6x7 bodies, but also the newer 1990s-era 67 bodies) is one of the things the owner's manual warns against e.g. that if the shutter speed dial is left on any shutter speed for an extended period of time, the shutter speeds will become inaccurate, and both problems manifest frequently. Ditto, the thing with the shutter remaining cocked [after wind-on] for an extended period of time: the shutter becomes inaccurate. What constitutes an "extended period of time" is open to reasoned conjecture, but I would say 6 months of no use. These age-related idiosyncracies frequently trip people up and it is more to do with the decades-long history of the cameras, either in active professional service or only occasional use by hobbyists and amateurs. The cameras generally need to be used enthusiastically on a frequent basis, up to such a point where something seriously goes wrong with stripped winding pawls or no frame wind-on, sticky or inactive shutter solenoid (a rudimentary magnet affair) ... any number of glitches. Then what? You either seek out repairs or you migrate to another camera (and system, God forbid...). They're very old cameras now and it is always, always a case of "buyer beware".

Repairs often involve cannibalising another 6x7 / 67 body for parts, and a lot of repair people will not touch them (Eric in the US being a notable exception).

11-07-2016, 04:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
A more involved take on wonky shutter speeds is reasonably well known now.
A long, long spell without anything happening with these cameras (predominantly the old 1960s-era 6x7 bodies, but also the newer 1990s-era 67 bodies) is one of the things the owner's manual warns against e.g. that if the shutter speed dial is left on any shutter speed for an extended period of time, the shutter speeds will become inaccurate, and both problems manifest frequently. Ditto, the thing with the shutter remaining cocked [after wind-on] for an extended period of time: the shutter becomes inaccurate. What constitutes an "extended period of time" is open to reasoned conjecture, but I would say 6 months of no use. These age-related idiosyncracies frequently trip people up and it is more to do with the decades-long history of the cameras, either in active professional service or only occasional use by hobbyists and amateurs. The cameras generally need to be used enthusiastically on a frequent basis, up to such a point where something seriously goes wrong with stripped winding pawls or no frame wind-on, sticky or inactive shutter solenoid (a rudimentary magnet affair) ... any number of glitches. Then what? You either seek out repairs or you migrate to another camera (and system, God forbid...). They're very old cameras now and it is always, always a case of "buyer beware".

Repairs often involve cannibalising another 6x7 / 67 body for parts, and a lot of repair people will not touch them (Eric in the US being a notable exception).
Thanks for your reply, if 6 months constitutes a long time then my camera has been idle for an eternity!! It's early 1980's vintage and was being sold as for spares or repair by a guy who purchased it in the early 90's. He bought it in "not working condition" simply because it looked fantastic and he displayed it without ever trying to get it to work. With a little bit of research and some gentle coaxing I was able to get it working again, well, working to a point. I put a roll of film through it, and got perfect exposures apart for the 3 fastest speeds. Cosmetically the camera is in very good condition which leads me to believe it wasn't mistreated during it's working life and since then has been stored in a good environment. I guess if you had a car sitting in the garage for 20 years it might need some TLC to get running again, so rather than forcing it back into action, I've taken it to a retired camera service technician for some gentle cleaning and lubrication. I will update this post when I get it back
12-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
Turns out the camera had some water damage which has resulted in corrosion on some parts of the internal workings including the pcb's. The camera repair guy invited me to view the condition of the camera before he would do anything else as to get it to a point where it will operate will take time. To me it only looked like very minor specks of rust and residue but I trust his knowledge and judgement, I don't intend shooting weddings or anything remotely like that but I do intend to put as many rolls of film through it as it will allow me to!! So for the price of a few rolls of film, he agreed to clean and lubricate what ever he can and to get it functioning as best he can, no guarantee though! I'm happy with enough with that, even if it only lasts for a small while, at least it will live and be loved again!!
12-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
^^
Good to know! Internal corrosion can be caused by exposure (rain, frost) or storage in high humidity. I earnestly hope it comes up roses. Even a P67 with a few niggles is a treat for a bit o' craic! There is something deeply, emotionally appealing about a thwack-clunk of the shutter/mirror that is symbolic of an exposure being made that is just not as much fun as a gung-ho $10,000 digital that seems to be in a hurry to do absolutely everything with as little operator intervention as possible!