Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2016, 09:06 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
I have had good service from Pentax Canada in regards to CLA work on my various Pentax cameras, but definitely NOT the level of service I am getting from Fuji Canada. I had to take in my X-T2 and 23mm f1.4 lens late last week as the lens became stuck on. I have received 3 calls from Fuji inside service rep discussing the progress of the repair and to discuss the reasons for the problem. Turns out it was a loose mounting screw on the lens and they are going to cover the service under warranty. 3 calls! That's service.
Three calls to tell you it was a loose screw? ... that just sounds needy possibly harassing. I'd get a court order.

12-12-2016, 09:08 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by petrakka Quote
2351 stated that the Z's viewfinder and AF were just fine, but if you've never used EVF for fine focusing you won't know what he means.
Sometimes landscapes need fine focusing, to assume otherwise is inaccurate. Not everything is shot at a wide angle and stopped down. People shoot landscapes differently. For instance, I shoot most of my landscape work at 50-100 mm and usually between 2.8 and f/8. Fine focusing matters definitely and I use the EVF all the time for it.

Personally, I won't buy another camera without EVF. In most scenarios I like it better than the traditional viewfinder. It is not a downside but a requirement for me at this point. You see the picture you are making - not just the framing of it.
I have the A7RII and it isn't really WYSIWYG, just a version of what you might get. It tends to be noisier than the actual image. Fine focusing is also not fool proof. I use the Loxia 35 f/2 and often the EVF will tell me through focus peaking that the parts I want to be in focus are in focus. Except when I get the images on to my computer they aren't. EVF isn't quite there yet, especially when the light starts to fade. I'm sure it will get there eventually, but it aint there yet.
12-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Three calls to tell you it was a loose screw? ... that just sounds needy possibly harassing. I'd get a court order.

Well, funnily, my lens was out of warranty by 6 months and the last call from Fuji was to confirm where to send my camera and lens back to, office or home. When I rec'd the package(the next day via courier), the enclosed paperwork was marked "OUT OF WARRANTY, Courtesy Service...no charge. I think the numerous calls were to build a case to fix it free. I am impressed.
12-12-2016, 04:23 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I have the A7RII and it isn't really WYSIWYG, just a version of what you might get. It tends to be noisier than the actual image. Fine focusing is also not fool proof. I use the Loxia 35 f/2 and often the EVF will tell me through focus peaking that the parts I want to be in focus are in focus. Except when I get the images on to my computer they aren't. EVF isn't quite there yet, especially when the light starts to fade. I'm sure it will get there eventually, but it aint there yet.
Basically my experience with the A7R. I will say there have been some times when shooting with my Z that I wish I'd had an EVF---have had to use a flashlight to see the scene. This is dead of night in the woods, mind you, and cloudy moonless nights at that. But in any kind of visible light the Z's huge OVF has been great.

Now I have a K1 to back it up (gave up the A7R to get it...), and the OVF seems dim by comparison, but I am getting used to it slowly. Here is where I'd rather have the EVF.

12-13-2016, 06:30 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The thing about the Fuji and the Hassy is that its air-ware and full of it until its really out.
There is no assurances that it will work with adapted lenses (and well for that matter even if they do).

I'm just surprised that I see so many pundits being ready to 'forgive' for what is not out yet.

I recall the XPro1, with lots of hype when it came out, but the AF was horrible (the worst I've used on any camera) and the hybrid viewfinder wasn't that fantastic an idea in real use.

So, bottom line for me, its just too early to confirm.
12-13-2016, 05:40 PM   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Interesting - I have the A7RII as well - I primarily use it with the 55mm and an adapted 90mm Sonnar from the Contax G - but I don't use focus peaking as much as I actually use the manual override that enlarges the frame in the viewfinder - that's what I mean from the fine focusing. It's true it's not totally WYSIWYG - but seeing exposure compensation and aperture in a live mode (even with the noisier EVF in low light especially) is great - I find it incredibly useful. It's already, in most cases, more useful for me than OVF of my 645D. But yea, it could be better. The AF is also pretty dang good though - and interestingly enough my Zeiss 45 and 90 from the Contax G actually focus faster and more acurately now than they did with the actual G2 camera - the 28 and 35, which I hardly use, struggle with the AF on the adapter. The lenses do show their age on that sensor though, as nice as they are.

---------- Post added 12-13-16 at 06:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The thing about the Fuji and the Hassy is that its air-ware and full of it until its really out.
There is no assurances that it will work with adapted lenses (and well for that matter even if they do).

I'm just surprised that I see so many pundits being ready to 'forgive' for what is not out yet.

I recall the XPro1, with lots of hype when it came out, but the AF was horrible (the worst I've used on any camera) and the hybrid viewfinder wasn't that fantastic an idea in real use.

So, bottom line for me, its just too early to confirm.
True.

The form factor and flash sync are what interest me the most though, which don't really need verification. If focus is finicky for awhile I don't care so much. I had the x pro 1 for awhile and while it was quirky it still, in the end, made nearly all of the pictures I tried to tell it to make. I did like that camera. I do hope the x1d isn't that problematic though. The xpro 1 was tolerable for a $1500 set up or whatever it was. Dropping 12k is another story. It needs to, at the very least, not be buggy. It doesn't need to be fast, but it absolutely needs to work. That's why I'm waiting for user reports - if I do anything it prob won't be til spring.

The Hasselblad - that body, which I've held, with that sensor - even if it's slow - for a more landscape and slow portrait based shooter like myself - it's still infinitely more versatile than an MF film camera. So I'm not super stressed on having the utmost polished advanced features if the camera can just make the pictures with the basic settings and has a reasonably good way to confirm focus. I'm all about trying to find the best image quality that I can in a camera that will fit in my bag that I take with me everywhere as I walk and ride around town doing my normal life stuff. That's usually when I shoot when I'm not on a job.

Last edited by petrakka; 12-13-2016 at 05:52 PM.
12-13-2016, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just a word of warning for those planning on switching to hasselblad, from my experience with the hasselblad H series cameras - expect the batteries and camera accessories to be expensive.

12-15-2016, 08:53 AM   #38
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Just a word of warning for those planning on switching to hasselblad, from my experience with the hasselblad H series cameras - expect the batteries and camera accessories to be expensive.
Sigh... yea. Part of me is thinking that I should know from experience of owning a Saab, and whenever it needs attention I still curse my decision. But then I drive the Saab and then rent a Toyota next week while traveling or something and I know why I made my decision...
Still...it's definitely a factor to consider. I am interested in seeing how the Fuji plays out, but I'm not as excited about it.