Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-17-2016, 11:26 PM   #1

Lightweight tripod for Pentax 67II?

Hi guys, I think this is my first post on this forum.

I just acquired a Pentax 67ii, 105mm f2.4 and 75mm f2.8AL lenses and would like some input on a travel tripod.

I will be traveling to Korea, Japan, and Vietnam in March (for wedding and honeymoon) and I plan to take the Pentax and a mirrorless digital camera, mostly likely Fuji X-T2 with me.

I'm not sure if I will be using the Pentax on a tripod that often but kinda want to take a few shots with it together with my girlfriend (most of the time it will be used for handheld portraits). I'm certainly not going to hand it over to a stranger to manually focus perfectly and take a steady shot.

I currently have a Gitzo GT2542T traveler with Markins Q3 ballhead which I found very stable when I used it with my A7RII, however, since I'm going overseas and mainly will be using the Fuji on a tripod, I think I want something even lighter.

I'm thinking of getting a Gitzo GT1545T tripod and possibly a smaller ballhead from Photo Clam (pro-30ns). With this set up I will be shedding 0.8lbs of weight.

Do you think this set up will be able to handle the weight of the Pentax 67 and the lenses that I have?

Also where can I buy a cable shutter release for it? Is it universal or is there one specifically for the Pentax?

Thanks in advance.

12-18-2016, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Albums
Hello,

Welcome aboard!

I've traveled with a 67 and can vouch that it is not something you just bring along. However, it is a fantastically rewarding bit of gear to use that requires patience, practice and a fair bit of dedication to use. After two years I feel like I am only just beginning to do mine justice; maybe. But it is sooooooooooo worth it.

However, one thing I have learned for sure is don't bother with a light tripod. Don't even try. You will just be disappointed with the shots, and endanger your camera. The absolute minimum should be a tripod fully able to take on a full blooded FF dslr... and I don't know of any travel tripods that will match up to that task. i know this, because I learned the hard way.

On the other hand... don't be afraid to shoot that thing hand held. I know lots will say a tripod is compulsory for the P67, but it isn't. For absolute perfection in landscapes, sure. But really, one of the truly beautiful things about the P67 is the ease with which you can use it on the street. Use fast film, keep the shutter above 1/126 and !KA-CHUNK! away. You have fabulous lenses for that task..

I actually don't know if a travel tripod would over any stabilization worth bothering with, to be honest.

Rob

Oh... and standard mechanical screw in cable release is fine. Get a decent one, though.
12-18-2016, 06:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll second the comments above. The 67 is a big camera, expect to use a tripod that can hold it both safely and firmly. To reduce weight, aluminum is lighter than steel, and carbon fiber is lighter and a bit stronger than aluminum, but a carbon fiber tripod sturdy enough for a 67 will not be cheap, but why place a $1,000 camera on a $50 tripod. For a moderately-priced tripod that is better than you might think from the price. consider various models made by Slik, especially those they call "Pro" many of which come with a head. Using a 67 is really and think-about-what-you're-doing process, not quite like using a view camera, but far from APS-C. Consequently I would recommend a pan-tilt head rather than a ball head, but be sure to get one that has right-left horizon leveling as well as pan-tilt.

And as noted above, the cable release socket on a 67 is the same as the universal one used on practically every camera from 11X14 to half-frame for about a century. Want a selection? Send me a PM - I have a pile of them left over from "the film era."
12-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Great thread--I'm in the process of building my 67 kit, and the next step is seeing which tripods of mine (if any) won't squeal too much under the weight (tests to be conducted over a thick carpet...) FWIW, I've toyed around with the idea of getting a RRS "ground pod"
RRS - TP-243
as a compact option for my nature photography. It isn't light, but it's compact and will handle whatever camera/lens you throw at it (provided of course that the head is up to it.) Using it an urban setting might test your ingenuity (as well as self confidence) but it might save the day in a low-light scenario.

12-18-2016, 10:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A 67II body & AE prism and one of either the 75/2.8 or 105/2.4 mounted will be around 2.25kg. With a wooden grip closer to 2.5kg, so you will need a tripod/head combo that can handle at least 5kg.

If you are ever thinking on getting any bigger 6x7 lenses, then I would double that and go with a 10kg tripod/head combo.

Phil.
12-18-2016, 03:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Since the subject is 67's and tripods, what plate(s) have y'all found to work best? I currently have the Acratech model, but know that the RRS version is a bit different in design, with flanges fore and aft that cradle the body more. (Of course, there's always the Kirk L-bracket, but I suspect you old hands are sitting on yours--you couldn't have a better asset in your retirement portfolio...)

BTW, it looks as if Induro has jumped into the short/squat tripod market (and there's a Sunwayfoto knockoff of the RRS 243 as well.)

Induro > Products > Browse by Categories > Grand Induro Tripods > Modular > GIHH75CP Baby Grand Carbon Fiber Tripod - 2 Sections
12-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Your GT2542T would be fine for travel. It is only 4 lbs and that is not a lot of weight for a 67 tripod. I have traveled extensively with my 67 over the years and found that my Gitzo 320 aluminum is just fine. It is a 7 lb tripod. I once tried using a light aluminum Bogan in the Bahamas just to save weight. That was a mistake. It is shutter shock that is the reason for the rigid tripod.

12-18-2016, 10:07 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by jaehoppa Quote
I currently have a Gitzo GT2542T traveler with Markins Q3 ballhead which I found very stable when I used it with my A7RII, however, since I'm going overseas and mainly will be using the Fuji on a tripod, I think I want something even lighter.

I'm thinking of getting a Gitzo GT1545T tripod and possibly a smaller ballhead from Photo Clam (pro-30ns). With this set up I will be shedding 0.8lbs of weight.

Do you think this set up will be able to handle the weight of the Pentax 67 and the lenses that I have?

Also where can I buy a cable shutter release for it? Is it universal or is there one specifically for the Pentax?

Thanks in advance.
I use a Kirk L-bracket, an Arca-Swiss B1 ballhead, and a set of heavy-duty carbon-fiber tripod legs (mine are Vanguard brand, but Induro or Gitzo or any other brand will be fine too). I recommend all of them highly. Nowadays you might look for the Arca Swiss Z1 as well, since it's replaced the B1 in their lineup.

You are going to have a bad time with the P67 on a light travel tripod. Possibly worse than handholding, in fact. The only weight-saving move I recommend is going with carbon-fiber rather than aluminum. The weight savings are real and do not compromise stiffness. I agree with desertscape here, your GT2542T sounds like a good place to start.

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Since the subject is 67's and tripods, what plate(s) have y'all found to work best? I currently have the Acratech model, but know that the RRS version is a bit different in design, with flanges fore and aft that cradle the body more. (Of course, there's always the Kirk L-bracket, but I suspect you old hands are sitting on yours--you couldn't have a better asset in your retirement portfolio...)

BTW, it looks as if Induro has jumped into the short/squat tripod market (and there's a Sunwayfoto knockoff of the RRS 243 as well.)

Induro > Products > Browse by Categories > Grand Induro Tripods > Modular > GIHH75CP Baby Grand Carbon Fiber Tripod - 2 Sections
I didn't know Kirk discontinued the P67 L-bracket, I guess I made a good move buying a couple years ago, but darn, I was actually hoping to pick another up for my other body. I really don't think there is any substitute for an L-bracket, my advice is to hunt one down.
12-18-2016, 11:36 PM   #9

Original Poster
thanks everyone for the suggestions.
At this point I'm just thinking of getting a small tripod for the mirrorless camera as I don't think I will be using the Pentax 67ii too much, if at all, on a tripod. Maybe I can get by with the 1 series tripod that I mentioned. If not, it's all good.
I need a recommendation on a quick release plate. There is one from Acratech and also one from RRS which is also for the 645.
I do not need an L-bracket by the way.