Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2016, 03:28 PM   #1

645 battery holder replacement or alternative

Hi there,

I just got a Pentax 645 camera body, and.... just realised that the battery holder is broken, and falling apart. It cannot power up the camera, as one of the pins is broken and missing (the negative one). Seller said camera is good and working when fitted with proper battery holder.

From what I see, it holds 6 AA batteries, connected in series. This should provide for a 9V output to power the camera motor and meter.

I cannot find any replacement battery holder on the net.

Are there any alternatives, or places on the net where I can buy battery holder? I know very little about this camera, but am very keen to test it.

Would it be possible to take a 9V battery (6F22LR type) and connect it to the camera's pins to make it work? I can then use just the lid of my broken battery holder and use it that way, if I cannot find a repalcement.

I would appreciate if anyone can offer a battery holder or an alternative.

12-27-2016, 04:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I seriously doubt that the 9v battery is a viable solution as the current it is able to output before voltage begins to drop is very small compared to AA cells in series.
However it is possible that this could be a way to test that it is working but I would not suggest it. Looking on ebay nice mint copies of the 645 can be had for under $200 with shipping. I would suggest looking for a beater or parts 645 if you can to cannibalize it.

There's also this idea:
Pentax 645 Remote Battery Pack (warmer) w/case RARE!
12-27-2016, 10:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
On Ebay you can usually find the 645 grip part, which is the part that has the batteries in it. I think the whole thing can be unscrewed and replaced, though I haven't really investigated it very carefully. However, it looks like there is not one available right now. This auction shows what it looks like as a separate piece:

Excellent! Pentax 645 Medium Format Film Camera w/ 3 Focusing screens, Grip, Box
12-30-2016, 03:26 AM   #4

Original Poster
Seems no replacement holders are currently available, I will wait for one. However, as l am too eager to test it with a roll or two, I will be making a battery pack myself (soldering a bunch of AA batteries together) and connecting it to either the pins of the grip or through the external battery connector socket to make it work.
Thanks all for input.
If anyone has a spare holder however, I will buy it.

04-05-2021, 10:59 AM   #5

I've used a 9v 780 rechargable battery holder I made myself for more than 15 120 rolls, so it's a viable solution.