Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2016, 08:03 AM   #1
Carsten_R

645z versus X1D

For a couple of days I had the chance to test an X1D loaner (actual firmware) with the available XCD lenses 90 mm and 45 mm:

I own a 645z with the 28-45, 90 macro, 150/2.8 FA, and 300 mm *A lenses.
With the 645z body and 28-45 plus 90 macro you have to schlep 4120 grams, against 2444 grams with X1D body and 30, 45 and 90 XCD lenses…. Or, walking around with 645z body and 90 macro means 2590 grams against 1344 grams, strolling with X1D and 90 XCD lens. So it was really tempting to see what a change from Pentax to Hassy would imply for me.

First, I visited some of my favourite landscape locations around my home and shot 645z plus 45 mm (28-45 @45 mm) or 90 mm on tripod (RRS TVC-24L with RRS BH-40 ballhead/ B645D camera plate) and then repeated the shot with the X1D and 45 or 90 lens, same settings like 645z. The X1D was mounted on tripod with my second 645D camera plate (shooting vertically was therefore a PITA, as compared to the normal 645z working with two plates).
Then, I made some portrait shots in available light to see how X1D EVF and AF work in real life.
I set up three X1D custom modes, alike my 645z custom modes. The landscapes were done in manual mode (resp., Av @f:10 and exposure comp., as appropriate), ISO 100, manual focus, SR function on 645z lenses turned off, exposed “to the right”, and self-timer. ETTR was done with caution not to blow the highlights with the 645z, and the following X1D exposure was matched to give comparable preconditions for conversion and file comparison. For the same reasons I didn’t use Phocus for the X1D files conversion. This was done by LR6 was with identical develop settings for 645z / X1D files and PS work with same curves, filters etc.

Some examples (X1D variant)

Name:  B9201361.jpg
Views: 2184
Size:  744.5 KB

Name:  B9201355.jpg
Views: 2070
Size:  748.4 KB

Name:  B9201352.jpg
Views: 2173
Size:  624.4 KB

Name:  B9201363.jpg
Views: 2555
Size:  602.7 KB

Name:  B9201383 und 5 -HeliconFocus.jpg
Views: 2113
Size:  898.8 KB

In web size, you cannot evaluate high-end lenses´ performance, and conversion is always a matter of taste.
For a close look, you could check the original DNG / 3FR files here:

X1D versus 645z 3FR / DNG files
I hope, the link works

This is not a scientific test, more a field report.
Some practice-oriented remarks:

>>Working speed:

The interval from power on to shutter release is under a second for the 645z (live view off), and 13 to 14 ! seconds for my loaner X1D (inevitably you have live view on, obviously too much data for the processor). As a workaround, I tried standby mode on the X1D and closed the rear monitor (short-press the power button). Then, whilst you lift the X1D for a shot, half-press the shutter release and you can focus almost immediately.
Standby drains power, and my battery was empty after an overnight standby. But this should be the way to go when you want to be prepared for a spontaneous photo in the street, travelling etc.
This extremely slow startup could be in part be due to the fact that both XCD loaners were kind of preterm lenses (firmware 0.51, X1D body firmware was 1.14.2-5428, with 35 focus points etc).

AF speed is MUCH slower in the X1D than in 645z, and more than once I missed the perfect moment for a portrait. For landscape no problem but the X1D´s domain will be travel, photojournalism and handheld shooting.
Write speed is also slow (for me, not a big issue). Formatting a 16 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/sec took 21 seconds with the X1D as compared to 6 seconds with 645z.

>>Viewfinder/ Screen:

I have to wear glasses, and was very curious whether I could get as close to the eyepiece with my glasses on the X1D as on my 645z. Here, the large rubber eyecup can be removed so that I can really see the COMPLETE viewfinder on the whole. This is really nice, together with the excellent optical quality of the viewfinder, and I prefer to compose through the 645z viewfinder most of the time.
The X1D viewfinder is kind of deep seated and not modifiable due to the eye sensor for display switching.
My viewfinder experience was better than expected, but about 1/8 was not visible for me and I had to round-trip with my eyes for a look into the corners (depends on individual eye-glass distance, of course. But even my spectacles with the shortest cornea-glass distance did not improve my field of view noticeably).

The EVF of the X1D takes some getting used to, to say the least. It is ok for framing and focus placement, but not the smooth WYSIWYG experience, what it should be. Contrast and colour are more or less off, and in low light you don’t see enough details. Frame rate is low, and together with the slow start-up time you realise the gap between massive image data and too low processing power.
The X1D rear display looks better, but I would not use a MF camera like a smartphone or compact…
The EVF blacks out for 1,2 sec after exposure, I find this annoying, probably a bit spoilt by working with Leica RF for many years and 645z for the last two years :-)
Here a short video of the EVF experience (hope, the link works):

X1D EVF exposure

Shooting landscape with X1D on tripod is a case for the excellent display. A double tap on the screen switches to a 100% view of the tapped focus area. Nice feature, and by swiping you can move the enlarged subject in focus. With gloves, you could do this also with hardware buttons but the X1D touch-sensitive display is really great for manual focus as compared to the somewhat sluggish motion of the 645z focus square. I missed a tilting screen on the X1D sometimes, but this would admittedly add bulk.

Low light scenes can be hard to focus with the X1D, depending on contrast (lower AF limit was about 1,3 EV(100) without AF assist). My lowest landscape light was about EV(100) 2.7, but I focused manually with X1D and 645z. The 645z AF is much more sensitive with phase detection, down to -3EV. Manual focus sensitivity with X1D is comparable to the 645z limits, same sensor. But the X1D has no focus peaking, I missed this sometimes.

>>Lenses/ image quality:

The new XCD lenses are really excellent performers. I would suggest that you compare the uploaded original files for yourself.

Sometimes, the Pentax 90Macro files have more bite, when captured under optimal circumstances. Several of my shots from tripod didn´t come out critically sharp, both 645z and X1D files, under breezy conditions. In the wood, under calm conditions, I got the sharpest results.
You need a REALLY sturdy tripod or still air to benefit from the potentially possible outstanding IQ.
The Pentax 28-45 zoom @45 mm was equal or possibly a wee bit softer than the 45 XCD (in the centre), and a bit softer in the corners. However, it’s a zoom against a prime, and the differences were small.

Name:  IMGP4888-B9201362-LR-crop.jpg
Views: 2300
Size:  339.4 KB
(left 28-45 mm Pentex @ 45 mm, right XCD 45 mm)

Name:  IMGP4894-B9201368-crops.jpg
Views: 2177
Size:  935.4 KB
(28-45 Pentax @45 and XCD 45. Center and LR corner)

Name:  IMGP4895-B9201374.jpg
Views: 1968
Size:  688.7 KB

90Macro against XCD 90, crop from this image
Name:  IMGP4895.jpg
Views: 2018
Size:  589.4 KB

Because of the excellent optical performance from a relatively small, lightweight kit I would still consider the X1D, but ONLY with better handling/ viewfinder experience. My lens line-up would be XCD 30 plus 90 mm and a long HC lens (hard to say whether Hasselblad will ever make such an XCD lens).
It would be exciting to try the HC 300/4.5 on the X1D with the (not yet available) XH lens adapter. But X1D plus XH adapter and 300/4.5 lens would be 2985 g, more weight than my 645z with 300*A lens…

Vignetting is more pronounced in the X1D, @ f:3.2 the XCD 90 had 1,25 stops, the 645Z with 90 Macro 0,35 stops in the corner probably due to the longer flange distance.

>>Other

I was surprised that the X1D doesn´t offer exposure bracketing. Not a big issue for me, this could be added in a later firmware. And I missed the self-timer option programmable in custom-mode, also on my wish list for a future firmware.
The X1D power-on button is levelled out and tiny: when shooting under cold conditions you have to take off your gloves to switch the X1D on - whereas the 645z can be operated with gloves on.

Sensor dust: this was not a big deal for me with the 645z, maybe the dust removal system is effective, and/ or the more deep-seated sensor is better protected. In two years now, I didn’t have the need for a sensor cleaning. But the X1D I got was already spangled with dust !

Carsten
Flickr

12-31-2016, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much does the X1D cost?

The Angry Photographer was predicting that the X1D was going to obliterate the Medium Format digital market, and I could see his point, but I still wasn't so sure - for one, Pentax still has the cheapest MF system by far with very little given up in quality to cameras many times its price. For another, Pentax's lens lineup is very mature, with a lot of legacy support (is it true the 645Z kept the aperture arm?).

Now from what you're saying, the Pentax seems in many ways the more user-friendly in the field too. Fuji might not have the walkover victory he was predicting, though I think the makers of the much more expensive bodies (e.g. Phase One) might have to look over their shoulders.

Mirrorless = battery pig. Unless battery tech massively improves or EVF power suckdown massively drops, or unless you are somewhere you can run off AC, there is no way to get around this.
12-31-2016, 09:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No significant difference to my eyes, except some color cast and exposure bias or vignetting effects in the corners. How much do they compare price wise?
12-31-2016, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #4

Great report Carsten, thanks very much for posting this info! I have been waiting to get my hands on an X1D, and would be interested in it for a similar type of work that you describe. My interest in the camera has cooled off somewhat since Hasselblad has not really executed the product launch very well, nor have they communicated very well with the customers who made early orders based on the original and (and several times revised) ship dates. From your description, even though the camera apparently is finally available in very limited quantities, I have to say the product sounds like it still is not feature complete. Even when it is complete it will still lack some performance factors that we've grown accustomed to especially with the 645Z. But that's not surprising for something this new in its design and intent.

Still, the Hasselblad X1D would have some advantages if it will work well enough. I'm specifically interested in something smaller and lighter for travel and general use, while still having at least equivalent image quality that I expect from my 645Z. Although the poor AF and shooting performance of the X1D might mitigate against that purpose, to some extent. I'm also highly interested whether Hasselblad will support the HTS tilt-shift adapter with their H series wide angle lenses on the X1D. If they do, this alone would convince me to get the camera for architectural work.

Thanks again for your field report...

12-31-2016, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a really interesting field report - thanks for posting it

From your observations and what I've read elsewhere, the biggest issues I see with the X1D are the dreadfully slow start-up speed, and auto-focus - specifically, the lack of any phase detect AF whatsoever, and low light focusing ability. I hope they'll overcome the start-up times through firmware updates.

The EVF / OVF comparison will be a continuing debate with no clear winner, I think. Owning cameras with both types, I like each for different reasons. Neither is ideal in every situation - both have advantages and disadvantages. Having tried the X1D - albeit fairly briefly at a photography show - I liked the implementation very much indeed. But then, I don't wear my glasses for shooting - I either wear contacts or adjust the diopter accordingly.

As for the image quality comparisons, the only one where the X1D easily bests the 645Z is the "leaves on the ground" crop. Any tiny variations in the others (in either direction) could easily be dealt with in post-processing.

It's great to see just how well the 645Z compares to the best Hasselblad can produce at this level of the market.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-31-2016 at 12:14 PM.
12-31-2016, 11:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
8995USD at B&H.
12-31-2016, 12:29 PM   #7
Carsten_R

In Germany: body 9400€, 30 mm 4034 €, 90 mm 2725 €, adapter 345€ + HC 4.5/300 5000€

The Angry Photographer was predicting that the X1D was going to obliterate the Medium Format digital market, and I could see his point, but I still wasn't so sure - for one, Pentax still has the cheapest MF system by far with very little given up in quality to cameras many times its price. For another, Pentax's lens lineup is very mature, with a lot of legacy support (is it true the 645Z kept the aperture arm?).
My *A300 mm is good, but not top like the newer, "digital" lenses. When the Adapter is available, I will try to get my hands on a HC 4.5/300 with adapter on X1D. I become more and more a fan of long lenses for landscape, this could be a valid argument for me to consider the Hasselblad.

Carsten

---------- Post added 12-31-16 at 08:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Royce Howland Quote
Still, the Hasselblad X1D would have some advantages if it will work well enough. I'm specifically interested in something smaller and lighter for travel and general use, while still having at least equivalent image quality that I expect from my 645Z. Although the poor AF and shooting performance of the X1D might mitigate against that purpose, to some extent. I'm also highly interested whether Hasselblad will support the HTS tilt-shift adapter with their H series wide angle lenses on the X1D. If they do, this alone would convince me to get the camera for architectural work.
Royce, I would accept also some pitfalls and weaknesses, would the IQ be on par or better. This could be true. However I dont know how the HC lenses with adapter work on the X1D. Different flange distances, other system, maybe its optical excellence is lost on the X1D, who knows. The adapter is not available. We will see...
Shift adapter: my dealer said, it will work on the X1D.

Carsten

---------- Post added 12-31-16 at 08:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
This is a really interesting field report - thanks for posting it

From your observations and what I've read elsewhere, the biggest issues I see with the X1D are the dreadfully slow start-up speed, and auto-focus - specifically, the lack of any phase detect AF whatsoever, and low light focusing ability. I hope they'll overcome the start-up times through firmware updates.

The EVF / OVF comparison will be a continuing debate with no clear winner, I think. Owning cameras with both types, I like each for different reasons. Neither is ideal in every situation - both have advantages and disadvantages. Having tried the X1D - albeit fairly briefly at a photography show - I liked the implementation very much indeed. But then, I don't wear my glasses for shooting - I either wear contacts or adjust the diopter accordingly.

As for the image quality comparisons, the only one where the X1D easily bests the 645Z is the "leaves on the ground" crop. Any tiny variations in the others (in either direction) could easily be dealt with in post-processing.

It's great to see just how well the 645Z compares to the best Hasselblad can produce at this level of the market.
Mike, I mentioned dust as an aside, but subcutaneously I was put off very much by the many dust particles already on the X1D sensor. Horrible vision, the Sysiphean task with eclipse and sensor wand...

Carsten

12-31-2016, 12:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for the write-up, very interesting.
12-31-2016, 12:57 PM   #9

I too have heard that the HTS adapter should be supported on the X1D, including from a Hasselblad Bron rep at a launch event some months ago. But so far I've seen no official statements or evidence of it. Likewise no real info about the H system lens adapter... some talk, but no actual device, no test reports, and nothing shipping that anyone can get hold of. Various other things have been stated about the camera that either are proving not to be the case (e.g. some recent info indicates builtin GPS is no longer happening) or will be delayed (various functionality that would be expected on day 1 like remote cable support or auto exposure bracketing, plus the mentioned lens adapters).

I think it's clear this product was not fully fleshed-out when it started to be talked about openly as being launch-ready, and even now it remains something of a work in progress. The time from concept to market launch for Hasselblad on this project has been quite fast, as such things go -- about 2 years. How many years did it take for the Pentax 645D to become a reality -- over 5? Hasselblad is a small company taking a big step in a different direction than anything they've done before. I'm prepared to cut them some slack as long as they don't fall for their own hype, and make the classic arrogant innovator mistake of "over promise, under deliver, and blame the customer and everyone else when expectations fall short". As much as possible I like to reward companies that take bold, innovative steps in making things that are actually useful to me.
12-31-2016, 02:49 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Carsten_R Quote
I mentioned dust as an aside, but subcutaneously I was put off very much by the many dust particles already on the X1D sensor. Horrible vision, the Sysiphean task with eclipse and sensor wand...
Interesting. I wonder if, somehow, the sensor is statically charged even when the camera is (supposedly) switched off... Mirrorless cameras - the A7II that I have, for example - seem to be more prone to dust than those with a mirror between the sensor and the outside world. I had a small amount of dust on my A7II sensor after three or four indoor lens changes, all with the camera switched off. By comparison, I think I had dust on my K-3 sensor a couple of times over the last year... and that was after outdoor lens changes during summer...

Where the X1D is concerned, I guess we'll have to wait and see if it becomes a commonly-reported issue. And the cleaning-tool manufacturers will have to make larger gel sticks
12-31-2016, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thank you for this

First let me say that I was struck by your photographs. I have been pursuing something similar for the last decade. Envy! It's the best compliment...

I'll chip in with several observations:
  • The weight comparison isn't entirely fair, as the 28-45 is quite the beast, the heaviest of all the lenses for the D or Z. And is a zoom, as you later point out in another context, but in this one with the 90 you are still having access to a range of focal lengths the X1D doesn't give you. So, either compare primes to primes, or toss in an additional prime somehow on the X1D side to balance each side ;-} ...Still heavier with the Z maybe, but not by as much.
  • Some of the things "wrong" with the X1D may be corrected? Was this unit a street release unit?
  • As someone else pointed out, all mirrorless cameras are battery hogs. The Z wins here easily.
  • mmmmm....I wonder about the ergonomics of the X1D....I really love my Z's, even with the weight/bulk (and it can be weighty and bulky for sure!)
  • I wonder about the robustness of the X1D. I no longer do about my Z after a fall. I got injured, the camera didn't. Note to my peers: step ladders on soft ground are problematic!
  • I didn't see that one was better then the other, just different. I'd have to see more.
  • Hassy has put out something with a competitive price tag, though. That's different!! Good for them (finally, ahem).
  • Yes, Pentax's legacy glass from both 645 and 6x7 is mature and (comparatively) deep, but the short flange back distance means the Hassy and the coming Fuji will be able to adapt lenses in ways the Pentax can't. And, yes, don't doubt there will be third party adapters. Just check out the Sony A7 series (all my lenses for my A7R used adapters...)---it's the A7 series' not-so-secret, just continually underappreciated, weapon.
And I'll say that 4 players in the DMF market is a Good Thing, imo. Now let's wait and see what the new Fuji can do...
12-31-2016, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Phototraveler CN Quote
A MILC with lens shutter is very likely to beat a DSLR wtih focal shutter, hands down.
Yes, potential advantage to the X1D....but I wouldn't say "hands down". Few of us are experiencing issues with the Z and shutter shock. As in, with the A7R the problem lit up the photo band of the internet for a while ( in a doomsday way, at that. Until cooler heads pointed out that the problem wasn't really much worse than that suffered by other cameras...). Myself, I experienced very few problems with it on my A7R (if any---can be hard to distinguish from user error a lot of times...), and there were multiple work-arounds. Note also that it was something mostly long lens people were concerned about, and DMF is not a long lens specialist's tool, for the most part. I have experienced no shutter shock issues with my Z in 2 years of use.
12-31-2016, 11:18 PM   #13

I have shutter shock issues with my 645Z all the time when shooting on a tripod, with lenses from the 80-160mm on up. One of the few significant updates I hope Pentax will address in the next iteration of the 645 system is electronic first curtain shutter, at a minimum. I'm interested to see how this plays out with the X1D, being that it's 100% leaf shutter lenses. Since the X1D has no focal plane shutter and a completely fly-by-wire system, there will be essentially no lenses for it other than Hasseblad's own X and H leaf shutter lenses.
01-01-2017, 01:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I looked at the X1D and am not going to get one. Getting great results with the 645z is such an easy thing, with the sweet ergonomics, great lenses and wonderful file quality, the X1D would have to be one stellar camera to step up to it.

However, the Z is lacking, such as EFCS, yes theshutter does kill shots, easily too. I was on the beach in Normandy attempting a portrait landscape image of the cliffs with the 80-160 at around 140mm in reasonable winds. The Z just couldn't do it. I could have raised the ISO to 3200 or so to get the shutter speed up, but I didn't want to ruin the file as I needed the DR.

Lenses. No good landscape kit is complete without a strong medium telephoto zoom. The FA 80-160 is ok, it's sharp but not at the longest settings. Then this brings us back to EFCS. To get anything from a new lens we need the shutter sorted.

In light of the recent mirrorless offerings, I believe it would be a wise move for Pentax to drop a 645Z II. Add a faster processor, electronic shutter, K1 tilt/flip LCD screen, clip on EVF and trim some size from the depth of the camera. The tech is there, would be simple and effective at holding market power. Little no no R&D required for this.
01-01-2017, 07:44 AM   #15
Carsten_R

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
First let me say that I was struck by your photographs. I have been pursuing something similar for the last decade. Envy! It's the best compliment...

I'll chip in with several observations:
  • The weight comparison isn't entirely fair, as the 28-45 is quite the beast, the heaviest of all the lenses for the D or Z. And is a zoom, as you later point out in another context, but in this one with the 90 you are still having access to a range of focal lengths the X1D doesn't give you. So, either compare primes to primes, or toss in an additional prime somehow on the X1D side to balance each side ;-} ...Still heavier with the Z maybe, but not by as much.
  • Some of the things "wrong" with the X1D may be corrected? Was this unit a street release unit?
  • As someone else pointed out, all mirrorless cameras are battery hogs. The Z wins here easily.
  • mmmmm....I wonder about the ergonomics of the X1D....I really love my Z's, even with the weight/bulk (and it can be weighty and bulky for sure!)
  • I wonder about the robustness of the X1D. I no longer do about my Z after a fall. I got injured, the camera didn't. Note to my peers: step ladders on soft ground are problematic!
  • I didn't see that one was better then the other, just different. I'd have to see more.
  • Hassy has put out something with a competitive price tag, though. That's different!! Good for them (finally, ahem).
  • Yes, Pentax's legacy glass from both 645 and 6x7 is mature and (comparatively) deep, but the short flange back distance means the Hassy and the coming Fuji will be able to adapt lenses in ways the Pentax can't. And, yes, don't doubt there will be third party adapters. Just check out the Sony A7 series (all my lenses for my A7R used adapters...)---it's the A7 series' not-so-secret, just continually underappreciated, weapon.
And I'll say that 4 players in the DMF market is a Good Thing, imo. Now let's wait and see what the new Fuji can do...
First, thanks for nothing :-) I live in a beautiful area, and know every tree here...
Re weight, you have a point. A zoom cannot be compared to a prime, in every aspect.
Street units: On Jan 4, when I return the X1D I will ask my dealer. I guess, it was a street unit because, at the same time, the street units are already being sold here. Hasselblad should make a XD2 asap with some essential corrections, and rebate the X1D early adopters...
Ergonomics: after a while, you will get used to the X1D handling but I find the Z´s ergonomics also hard to beat.
Flange distance: I remember the problems I had with Leica glass on A7R body. With few exceptions, they just didn´t work as well as on the M9 / Monochrom. So I dont believe the HC/ adaptor solution is ok until I see the first pictures...
Price tag: Hassy was too canny with the processor, I am afraid. Working costs in sweden are high, so there must be something in the unit that is not so high-end. But why the hell a slow processor ?? Try it out, start-up your 645z, switch on the live display, make a shot. This takes only four seconds. And the Z is two years "old" now, one generation in the world of Moore´s law...

Carsten

---------- Post added 01-01-17 at 03:53 PM ----------

Did you suffer from shutter vibration issue on your 645Z and A 300 combo on tripod with mirror locked up for landscapes? A MILC with lens shutter is very likely to beat a DSLR wtih focal shutter, hands down.
Interestingly, shutter vibration has never been an issue. Pentax did a great job with damping the slap. Usually, I dont use a remote and MLU, I use the timer and live view (it´s already on from fosusing), after 2 seconds all possible vibration is gone. Much more important I find the effect of wind: in Liveview, @ 100% you see the effect of air movement very well with the 300 mm attached. And my tripod is not lightweight.

Carsten

---------- Post added 01-01-17 at 03:55 PM ----------

Which is the longest lens you have used on your 645Z? I specified "645Z and A 300 combo" because this is not what most 645Z owners use. It's no surprise to hear that someone has never experienced shutter vibration issue with his or her 645Z..
The longest lens on my 645z is the *A300 with 1,4 TC, then you see the wind effect very well..

Carsten

---------- Post added 01-01-17 at 04:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Royce Howland Quote
I have shutter shock issues with my 645Z all the time when shooting on a tripod, with lenses from the 80-160mm on up. One of the few significant updates I hope Pentax will address in the next iteration of the 645 system is electronic first curtain shutter, at a minimum. I'm interested to see how this plays out with the X1D, being that it's 100% leaf shutter lenses. Since the X1D has no focal plane shutter and a completely fly-by-wire system, there will be essentially no lenses for it other than Hasseblad's own X and H leaf shutter lenses.
May I ask, which tripod ?

Carsten

---------- Post added 01-01-17 at 04:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I looked at the X1D and am not going to get one. Getting great results with the 645z is such an easy thing, with the sweet ergonomics, great lenses and wonderful file quality, the X1D would have to be one stellar camera to step up to it.

However, the Z is lacking, such as EFCS, yes theshutter does kill shots, easily too. I was on the beach in Normandy attempting a portrait landscape image of the cliffs with the 80-160 at around 140mm in reasonable winds. The Z just couldn't do it. I could have raised the ISO to 3200 or so to get the shutter speed up, but I didn't want to ruin the file as I needed the DR.

Lenses. No good landscape kit is complete without a strong medium telephoto zoom. The FA 80-160 is ok, it's sharp but not at the longest settings. Then this brings us back to EFCS. To get anything from a new lens we need the shutter sorted.

In light of the recent mirrorless offerings, I believe it would be a wise move for Pentax to drop a 645Z II. Add a faster processor, electronic shutter, K1 tilt/flip LCD screen, clip on EVF and trim some size from the depth of the camera. The tech is there, would be simple and effective at holding market power. Little no no R&D required for this.
Are you sure it was the shutter and not the wind movement ? Did you make an indoor test without any wind blowing ? I have a print hanging on my wall, made with 2 sec timer, Liveview, and the 90 Macro on 645z. About 1/20 sec, but razor sharp. It was made on one of those rare days here without and air motion.... My wish for a 645zII: even more light sensitivity, for sharp photos with long lenses, with higher ISO/ shorter exposure.

Carsten