Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2017, 08:38 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Im ALL In.......waited 20 years

I just couldn't help myself. After shooting medium format back in the day with a Pentax 67II and a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II......I couldn't help myself and make excuses any longer.
Tonight I went ALL IN and ordered a 645Z with the DA 25mm lens and a DFA 35mm lens .......I really, really , really......Broke the Bank !
Will be selling at least 1 of my K-1's and a couple lenses.....but Hey.... a guy only lives once !

BTW.....I bought very lightly used. The body has 1100 clicks and the 25mm lens is mint in box..... I purchased from a private sale in Japan.
I feel like I got a very good deal at $12K

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-09-2017 at 09:21 PM.
01-09-2017, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes!
Congrats.
01-09-2017, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #3
Closed Account

Congratulations !!! Looking forward to seeing your 1st pix.
01-09-2017, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Congratulations !!! Looking forward to seeing your 1st pix.
I will plan something special.

01-09-2017, 08:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I just couldn't help myself. After shooting medium format back in the day with a Pentax 67II and a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II......I couldn't help myself and make excuses any longer.
Tonight I went ALL IN and ordered a 645Z with the DA 25mm lens and a 35mm lens .......I really really really......Broke the Bank !
Will be selling at least 1 of my K-1's and a couple lenses.....but Hey.... a guy only lives once !

BTW.....I bought very lightly used. The body has 1100 clicks and the 25mm lens is mint in box..... I purchased from a private sale in Japan.
Good for you. Enjoy it. Since you are a medium format guy from the old days (as I am), I would be curious to know what you think about the K1 vs. 645Z images.
01-09-2017, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

but Hey.... a guy only lives once !
Yep, especially after they spend all their money on cameras and run out of food...

Enjoy it!
01-09-2017, 09:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Wow, congratulations. The 25mm is discontinued now, so you're lucky to get a near-new one. Is it the first (D FA) or second (DA) generation?

01-09-2017, 09:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Good for you. Enjoy it. Since you are a medium format guy from the old days (as I am), I would be curious to know what you think about the K1 vs. 645Z images.
I actually consider it almost a dead heat as far as image quality between the two , with a slight edge going to the 645Z. I own several K-1's , and have rented a 645Z for a weekend . Dynamic range gets a very slight edge on the K-1......overall the 645Z is amazing and hands down is slightly more impressive than the K-1 , but not by much.
what really was the selling point for me is simply the image size. I can do 6-9 shots and stitch on the 645 , whereas it takes me double that or more on the K-1.
I went through 6 months of anguish if I should get the 645D , 645Z , or just continue with the K-1.
In the end it actually came down to my lens choice. I was actually afraid the DA25mm lens would be impossible to find at nearly any price. I stumbled on a good deal through a professional Photography contact/friend. we discussed this for about 6 hours on the phone.......in the end....He paused to think about it.....I "Pounced" on the deal.
who knows where all this will end up......lol.

---------- Post added 01-10-17 at 12:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Wow, congratulations. The 25mm is discontinued now, so you're lucky to get a near-new one. Is it the first (D FA) or second (DA) generation?
DA version

---------- Post added 01-10-17 at 12:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Yep, especially after they spend all their money on cameras and run out of food...

Enjoy it!
Ohhh Myyy.....How correct You are.....lol.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-10-2017 at 08:12 AM.
01-09-2017, 11:46 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tonight I went ALL IN and ordered a 645Z with the DA 25mm lens and a DFA 35mm lens .......I really, really , really......Broke the Bank !

Next you could consider the 80-160 zoom. Fantastic lens, I absolutely love it. Together with the 150-300 it is the best lenses I have bought for the 645z. I also combine the 80-160 with a helicoid extension tube for macro and are now considering selling my 120mm macro.
01-10-2017, 01:20 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Congrats. Lovely camera. Amazing files.
01-10-2017, 02:08 AM - 1 Like   #11

Congrats!
please start a photos thread and keep us up to date!
01-10-2017, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Ohhh Myyy.....How correct You are.....lol.
I'm a little bit uncomfortable when I hear this kinda stuff... reminds me of this:

Confessions of an ex-gear addict
01-10-2017, 07:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I'm a little bit uncomfortable when I hear this kinda stuff... reminds me of this:

Confessions of an ex-gear addict
lol.....I assure You that I don't "NEED" a 645Z. I simply want one.
To date my photography and gear has paid for itself at least twice , if not 3 or 4 times over , so cost is essentially Zero.
My Travel and Photography budget is Shot in the Ankles for a few months , but other than that I'm fine.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-10-2017 at 07:57 AM.
01-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #14
Pentaxian

lol.....I assure You that I don't "NEED" a 645Z. I simply want one.
To date my photography and gear has paid for itself at least twice , if not 3 or 4 times over , so cost is essentially Zero.
My Travel and Photography budget is Shot in the Ankles for a few months , but other than that I'm fine.
You are my kinda guy! The stuff is paid for almost immediately.

It is funny because every time I told my wife I am dropping another couple of grand on a body or similar dollars on a set of lenses, I always get the question.... why, and do you need it? I have been lucky because for most part some kind of project was in the wings so I knew the stuff was gonna be paid for with the first gig. So I never thought about buying twice. But this 645Z numbers are much higher than my usual few grand here-n-there. So, I gotta drum up something bigger to make sure the funds don't come out of the rainy day stash!!

I can do 6-9 shots and stitch on the 645 , whereas it takes me double that or more on the K-1.
What do you mean by this? I am doing a similar math too, which favors 645Z but I wanna know your thinking. One of the big differences is the format aspect ratio. Say if I wanted to do a single frame 45"x60" print. On a 645Z I get the full frame and 145MB worth of TIFF data to work with. On the K1, I have to crop the side the tune of 20% or whatever the number is, which take the 103MB file down to about 80MB. In this case the 645Z has almost twice as much information (resolution). Better DR and low noise performance of the 645Z, although marginal, are added bonuses.

This equation goes the other way if the print size is say 40"x60". I have to crop the 645Z for a 2x3 aspect ratio which means the resolution advantage of the 645Z disappears. Are you thinking of a similar scenario or something else. I am curious to know. Thanks.

Last edited by btnapa; 01-10-2017 at 09:06 AM. Reason: typo
01-10-2017, 09:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
You are my kinda guy! The stuff is paid for almost immediately.

It is funny because every time I told my wife I am dropping another couple of grand on a body or similar dollars on a set of lenses, I always get the question.... why, and do you need it? I have been lucky because for most part some kind of project was in the wings so I knew the stuff was gonna be paid for with the first gig. So I never thought about buying twice. But this 645Z numbers are much higher than my usual few grand here-n-there. So, I gotta drum up something bigger to make sure the funds don't come out of the rainy day stash!!

What do you mean by this? I am doing a similar math too, which favors 645Z but I wanna know your thinking. One of the big differences is the format aspect ratio. Say if I wanted to do a single frame 45"x60" print. On a 645Z I get the full frame and 145MB worth of TIFF data to work with. On the K1, I have to crop the side the tune of 20% or whatever the number is, which take the 103MB file down to about 80MB. In this case the 645Z has almost twice as much information (resolution). Better DR and low noise performance of the 645Z, although marginal, are added bonuses.

This equation goes the other way if the print size is say 40"x60". I have to crop the 645Z for a 2x3 aspect ratio which means the resolution advantage of the 645Z disappears. Are you thinking of a similar scenario or something else. I am curious to know. Thanks.
I did not take the aspect ratio / format ratio into consideration at all.
I found no difference in noise between the K-1 and the 645Z in the low ISO settings , yet I'm not one to get down to Nitpicking every spec to death.
Simply comparing single file ... to single file....the 645Z wins hands down.
I could not notice any difference through my observation of an advantage of the 645Z over the K-1 in the dynamic Range. In fact I found the opposite to be true ....but very slight.
That was my personal observation after 2 days of shooting in Utah...Yours may be different.
In a Nut Shell....Resolution wins ! And we both know the 645Z is King !
I only had it rented for 3 days , so not much that I say probably holds much water.
I need to get to the Bank and do a electronic transfer......in a couple weeks I will know Much More !