Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2017, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on your purchase. Hope it works out for you.

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Yep, especially after they spend all their money on cameras and run out of food...

Enjoy it!
Or in your case, run out of money and eat all your parents food.

I've had teenage boys living in the house before.

01-10-2017, 09:46 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
In a Nut Shell....Resolution wins ! And we both know the 645Z is King !
You are right. So far I am happy with the K1. It has far exceeded anything I have used before. Renting a 645Z or borrowing one or whatever would spoil me. Then I have to find a way to get it for good. I will live with K1 for now and see what happens this year. I will follow your posts to see how you like the 645Z once your camera arrives. Thanks.
01-10-2017, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
lol.....I assure You that I don't "NEED" a 645Z. I simply want one.
To date my photography and gear has paid for itself at least twice , if not 3 or 4 times over , so cost is essentially Zero.
My Travel and Photography budget is Shot in the Ankles for a few months , but other than that I'm fine.
Whew, I'm relieved to hear that!
If you're a pro and those are working tools, then you did well to do what you did
01-10-2017, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was going to say it's the result of lack of sleep (see separate thread you opened about the theft you went through...) but then I read about your equipment paying itself, so I'll just say congratulations!

I know this might be a bit off topic, but how do you gain income from pictures? Do you sell large prints at galleries or at public events? You don't seem to be the type that does weddings

01-10-2017, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Whew, I'm relieved to hear that!
If you're a pro and those are working tools, then you did well to do what you did
No...I'm NOT A PRO by definition. However....I use a camera and a couple tele lenses to document insurance Fraud cases that are going nowhere. Seldom do I get a Payoff , but when I do it can be very handsome.

Example....
A 87 yr old extremely healthy and wealthy woman claimed a theft of all her Jewelry in her home that had an extensive alarm system (appx $280,000 worth of jewelry)
Police were summoned and she accused a local disabled man friend of doing it that had occasionally had dinner at her house and played cards.
I spent 37 nights.....very covertly documenting the accused mans activities coming and going from the home even though he was the accused thief , local day trips together , various outings together , lots of hugs , lots of kisses... even them having sex in an open garage late one night along with some other intimate activities that I wont go into on a quite frequent and routine basis.
Yet the whole time of the investigation by the insurance company and police.....she continued to accuse him and Hated his guts....he would never enter her home again and the friendship was Over !!! Hmmmm.....Really ?
The photographic evidence I provided eventually ended up with a confession from her when confronted. The man knew all along he had been used by her , and ALL the Jewelry was in her wealthy sisters safe on the east coast and was seized by the police there.
No Insurance Claim was paid and ultimately ended up in a conviction (Plea Bargain) for the greedy little old lady.
My Payment for this....? Lets just say it covered the 645Z and lenses I bought last night !

---------- Post added 01-11-17 at 04:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I was going to say it's the result of lack of sleep (see separate thread you opened about the theft you went through...) but then I read about your equipment paying itself, so I'll just say congratulations!

I know this might be a bit off topic, but how do you gain income from pictures? Do you sell large prints at galleries or at public events? You don't seem to be the type that does weddings
Nope....Galleries , Prints , and Public Events would be the Icing on the Cake for any aspiring Photographer !
What I do is much more sinister in the Dark and Evil side of life !
Read the above Response.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-10-2017 at 01:44 PM.
01-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #21

Excellent choice on the 645Z. I'm guessing you're into landscapes since you went for the widest of the wide available (and no longer available).

As you've mentioned stitching images the 90/2.8 is a wonderful lens too, and can be a nice focal length for something like a 3:1 pano when mounting the camera vertically. Probably the sharpest lens available for the camera. And if you're ever going to use it for portraiture then the 150/2.8 is also a dream of a lens and very fairly priced.

Also, if you haven't already, get yourself a pair of the RRS plates for the body so you can quickly mount it on the tripod or nodal rail in either orientation.
01-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulster Quote
Excellent choice on the 645Z. I'm guessing you're into landscapes since you went for the widest of the wide available (and no longer available).

As you've mentioned stitching images the 90/2.8 is a wonderful lens too, and can be a nice focal length for something like a 3:1 pano when mounting the camera vertically. Probably the sharpest lens available for the camera. And if you're ever going to use it for portraiture then the 150/2.8 is also a dream of a lens and very fairly priced.

Also, if you haven't already, get yourself a pair of the RRS plates for the body so you can quickly mount it on the tripod or nodal rail in either orientation.
As far as my aspirations....Landscape's and a little Fine Art Photography thrown into the mix are my interests.
When I saw that lens....that closed the deal for me. I'm still pinching myself.....lol.
I will get a 90mm soon , as that's my next choice in lenses , but most likely in a "A" form.
Don't know what brand , but a set of plates are already on the body , along with a long list of accessories that were included with the purchase.
I currently use the Nodal Ninja on my K-1's and K3II for multiple shot Panos , but will most likely have to step up to something else as it wont work with the 645z....at least I highly doubt it will anyway as I don't have a lot of Rail adjustment left for a larger body as the 645Z.....we shall see.
I'm so excited ....the next ten days are going to pass slowly.....waiting for it to get here.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-10-2017 at 02:04 PM.
01-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #23

The DFA 25mm gives me the equivalent of a 19.5mm lens in 35mm terms. I went with the DFA version over the DA as when I put it on my 645Nii it gives me the equivalent of a 15mm lens!!
01-10-2017, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sarnian Quote
The DFA 25mm gives me the equivalent of a 19.5mm lens in 35mm terms. I went with the DFA version over the DA as when I put it on my 645Nii it gives me the equivalent of a 15mm lens!!
Exactly ! That's why I love my Bower and Sammy 14mm so much on the K-1. It really didn't matter if it was the DA or the DFA....its still a 25mm lens that's very hard to come by.
Honestly....if there was something a bit wider for the 645Z....I would have started there.
01-10-2017, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #25

I currently use the Nodal Ninja on my K-1's and K3II for multiple shot Panos , but will most likely have to step up to something else as it wont work with the 645z....at least I highly doubt it will anyway as I don't have a lot of Rail adjustment left for a larger body as the 645Z.....we shall see.
I use the RRS MPR-CL II rail on mine and it's good with all my primes, but not my 28-45 which needs a slightly longer rail. That rail is 160mm from centre of clamp to end of rail, so I don't know how it compares with the Nodal Ninja. It's good for the 55, 75, 90 and 150, and I'm pretty sure it'd be fine with the 25 and 35 too since even the 25 should have its optical centre within that range.
01-10-2017, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

No...I'm NOT A PRO by definition. However....I use a camera and a couple tele lenses to document insurance Fraud cases that are going nowhere. Seldom do I get a Payoff , but when I do it can be very handsome.

Example....
A 87 yr old extremely healthy and wealthy woman claimed a theft of all her Jewelry in her home that had an extensive alarm system (appx $280,000 worth of jewelry)
Police were summoned and she accused a local disabled man friend of doing it that had occasionally had dinner at her house and played cards.
I spent 37 nights.....very covertly documenting the accused mans activities coming and going from the home even though he was the accused thief , local day trips together , various outings together , lots of hugs , lots of kisses... even them having sex in an open garage late one night along with some other intimate activities that I wont go into on a quite frequent and routine basis.
Yet the whole time of the investigation by the insurance company and police.....she continued to accuse him and Hated his guts....he would never enter her home again and the friendship was Over !!! Hmmmm.....Really ?
The photographic evidence I provided eventually ended up with a confession from her when confronted. The man knew all along he had been used by her , and ALL the Jewelry was in her wealthy sisters safe on the east coast and was seized by the police there.
No Insurance Claim was paid and ultimately ended up in a conviction (Plea Bargain) for the greedy little old lady.
My Payment for this....? Lets just say it covered the 645Z and lenses I bought last night !

*snip*
If you use your camera for work, and make money with it, then you're automatically a professional
01-10-2017, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
If you use your camera for work, and make money with it, then you're automatically a professional
I do look at it that way. But then again Im also still in the "Drooling" Stage as I look at others work. ......I still have a long ways to go.

One thing I have figured out it to never try and emulate someone else's work......I seek my own Path.
I no longer seek acceptance in the photography forums , and simply pursue my own Visions of what I am trying to create and convey.
Once in a while it all comes together in a miraculous way , and I know that I'm close ......when I take my own Breath Away !
01-11-2017, 06:26 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
You are right. So far I am happy with the K1. It has far exceeded anything I have used before. Renting a 645Z or borrowing one or whatever would spoil me. Then I have to find a way to get it for good. I will live with K1 for now and see what happens this year. I will follow your posts to see how you like the 645Z once your camera arrives. Thanks.
I waited many years for an affordable digital medium format and stayed with mf film, resisting 35mm digital with somewhat restraint. When the 645D was released, I was itchy to buy, but could not afford it. When the 645z came out, I was ready and pounced on it. Bought one new lens 28-45, and kept all my old 645 lenses. Very glad I was able to make that jump to mf digital. Not sure what will happen when the full frame 645z(+)? comes out. Well be a struggle between common sense and the other force.....

---------- Post added 2017-01-11 at 09:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tdvanniekerk Quote
I waited many years for an affordable digital medium format and stayed with mf film, resisting 35mm digital with somewhat restraint. When the 645D was released, I was itchy to buy, but could not afford it. When the 645z came out, I was ready and pounced on it. Bought one new lens 28-45, and kept all my old 645 lenses. Very glad I was able to make that jump to mf digital. Not sure what will happen when the full frame 645z(+)? comes out. Well be a struggle between common sense and the other force.....
The only thing I find very frustrating with the 646z is that there seems to be a lack of resources to explain what you can do with all the features in the camera. I've had 645z now for almost two years and are still discovering methods of using some of the features. For example last December we took our first frozen holiday to the arctic circle, was fantastic. When we came back I was looking for certain abilities in the camera, and found it. Now I need to go back and retake done shots. I suppose some would call that experience, but would still be nice if there is a good source of tips and tricks to explain how all the features of the camera can be applied.

Some guru out there should write a book, or do some videos on YouTube :-)

Last edited by TDvN57; 01-11-2017 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections
01-11-2017, 07:32 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Some guru out there should write a book, or do some videos on YouTube
We have plenty of those gurus on this forum. I hope they are reading this post.
01-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulster Quote
Do this right away! a little pricey, but totally worth it in the end.

---------- Post added 01-11-17 at 12:51 PM ----------

---------- Post added 2017-01-11 at 09:36 PM ----------

The only thing I find very frustrating with the 646z is that there seems to be a lack of resources to explain what you can do with all the features in the camera. I've had 645z now for almost two years and are still discovering methods of using some of the features. For example last December we took our first frozen holiday to the arctic circle, was fantastic. When we came back I was looking for certain abilities in the camera, and found it. Now I need to go back and retake done shots. I suppose some would call that experience, but would still be nice if there is a good source of tips and tricks to explain how all the features of the camera can be applied.

Some guru out there should write a book, or do some videos on YouTube :-)
I completely agree. Certainly this camera is book worthy.