Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2017, 02:16 AM   #1

Pentax 67II winding lever stuck

Hello,
I've got a problem with my new Pentax 67II. It's new in the sense I've bought it here in Oman where I live from a local. It's in pristine condition but quite immediately just before I even had to load the first roll I've got the winding lever stuck. It doesnt work at all. I've obsviuosly tried it when I bought it but now it seems jammed. Batteries are brand new. I changed from 120 to 220, but nothing happened. Has anyone had a problem like this one? Thanks in advance for your help. Ciao, Herbert

01-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A camera arriving on your doorstep with an inoperative/jammed film advance is not "pristine"...
It's possible the cover was opened while the shutter is cocked/film loaded, and the winding mechanism stops.
This can happen with Pentax 67 cameras (as I found out to my annoyance), and might be the case with yours (the Pentax 67 and 67II are not the same).
Open up the cover, load some film in, taking care to align the START mark with the matching mark on the shutter gate.
Loading film of couorse requires the wind-on lever to be operational; if it is not, a deeper problem might be indicated.
01-13-2017, 12:56 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
A camera arriving on your doorstep with an inoperative/jammed film advance is not "pristine"...
It's possible the cover was opened while the shutter is cocked/film loaded, and the winding mechanism stops.
This can happen with Pentax 67 cameras (as I found out to my annoyance), and might be the case with yours (the Pentax 67 and 67II are not the same).
Open up the cover, load some film in, taking care to align the START mark with the matching mark on the shutter gate.
Loading film of couorse requires the wind-on lever to be operational; if it is not, a deeper problem might be indicated.
yes of course! it looked like 'pristine'...grrrr. Anyway the price for a body, 55mm, 105mm, and a 550 flash was 1000$ so I cannot complain even if now it needs a check. I think I'm gonna send it to a professional lab. Thanks for your help! cheers, Herbert
01-13-2017, 03:53 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by herbertsteele Quote
Hello,
I've got a problem with my new Pentax 67II. It's new in the sense I've bought it here in Oman where I live from a local. It's in pristine condition but quite immediately just before I even had to load the first roll I've got the winding lever stuck. It doesnt work at all. I've obsviuosly tried it when I bought it but now it seems jammed. Batteries are brand new. I changed from 120 to 220, but nothing happened. Has anyone had a problem like this one? Thanks in advance for your help. Ciao, Herbert
Herbert,

I fixed mine by slapping in on the right side with the palm of my hand.
I read somewhere that the mechanism has a magnet that sometimes get stuck.
So slapping it might release it.

Cheers,
Vitor

01-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

If the winding mechanism is stuck in the extended position, sometimes it is not actually stuck but just not FULLY extended. You might think it is at the end of its stroke but not quite. If this is the case, try winding further.
02-07-2019, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #6

My winding lever got stuck in the "begin to wind" position (the mirror was also locked up and the mirror release button had no effect).

After almost giving up I was randomly messing about and this is what solved the problem for me:

With the camera back open (I don't know if that matters) move the shutter speed to B (for bulb) and depress the shutter.

I somehow caused the stuck lever by going through the procedure to test the shutter without any film (see operating manual http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_67.pdf)
02-07-2019, 11:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ilex opaca Quote
My winding lever got stuck in the "begin to wind" position (the mirror was also locked up and the mirror release button had no effect).

After almost giving up I was randomly messing about and this is what solved the problem for me:

With the camera back open (I don't know if that matters) move the shutter speed to B (for bulb) and depress the shutter.

I somehow caused the stuck lever by going through the procedure to test the shutter without any film (see operating manual http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_67.pdf)
The correct procedure (applying to the Pentax 6x7 and 67 cameras) is to depress the recessed button to the left of the lens mount, release the shutter once and then wind on (the wind-on lever should spring back to its home position when this reset is done). This properly resets the mirror and the shutter.
03-23-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax 6X7 II stuck

If the reset doesn't give results, have it checked by a reliable repairman. I had the same problem with my brand new Pentax 6X7 II a few years back. My repairman checked it and found that an electromagnet was defective in the shutter mecanism. It was a simple, inexpensive repair and my 6X7 II never had any other issues since. Never force the fim advance lever !

11-08-2020, 08:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
The correct procedure (applying to the Pentax 6x7 and 67 cameras) is to depress the recessed button to the left of the lens mount, release the shutter once and then wind on (the wind-on lever should spring back to its home position when this reset is done). This properly resets the mirror and the shutter.
Thank you! This actually helped my KX whose mirror remained up... mutatis mutandis the procedure worked.