Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2017, 03:32 AM - 2 Likes   #31

Just pre-ordered my Fugi GFX 50s

Just pre-ordered my Fugi GFX 50S plus 63mm prime and 32-64 zoom.

01-19-2017, 04:29 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rfkiii Quote
Just pre-ordered my Fugi GFX 50S plus 63mm prime and 32-64 zoom.
By looking at these samples in full size, I wouldn't be handing over my hard-earned for it.

Fuji GFX - High res samples and an appraisal - ProPhotoNut

Going to wait till I can take some raws for myself to evaluate.
01-19-2017, 05:50 AM   #33

Fuji executive is very honest about their aim, and they see Pentax as their reference. It is just what they said when introduce X system, they used Canon as the reference. Now, I think Ricoh should respond quickly. 100 Mp true MF will keep Pentax as the market leader.
01-19-2017, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
A lot depends on pricing and performance of all of these cameras and it is too soon to say for sure.
The launch price is not bad at all for Fuji GFX.

Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format Mirrorless Camera 600018213 B&H

01-19-2017, 06:28 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
The launch price is not bad at all for Fuji GFX.

Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format Mirrorless Camera 600018213 B&H
The GFX camera body will be 6500 and the three lenses available will range from 1500 to 2700 dollars. 645z is priced at 7000 and lens line up varies a lot more. I have no idea the quality of Pentax's older lenses, but many are closer to 1000 dollars. Obviously the newest lenses are pretty steep.

I suppose there will be adapters and you can use other brand medium format lenses with the GFX camera body, which will help as the lens line up seems pretty weak at present.
01-19-2017, 06:50 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The GFX camera body will be 6500 and the three lenses available will range from 1500 to 2700 dollars. 645z is priced at 7000 and lens line up varies a lot more. I have no idea the quality of Pentax's older lenses, but many are closer to 1000 dollars. Obviously the newest lenses are pretty steep.

I suppose there will be adapters and you can use other brand medium format lenses with the GFX camera body, which will help as the lens line up seems pretty weak at present.
The GFX's 6500 (body) + 1500 (63mm normal lens) is very competitive.

The 645Z launch price is $8,499.95, body only.

I think unless the next 645Z is a full MF (which Pentax already have bunch of FA lenses), it will be difficult to compete with GFX.

I now hope to one day own GFX instead of 645z. Unless Pentax 645 series came out with something great.
01-19-2017, 07:05 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
The GFX's 6500 (body) + 1500 (63mm normal lens) is very competitive.

The 645Z launch price is $8,499.95, body only.

I think unless the next 645Z is a full MF (which Pentax already have bunch of FA lenses), it will be difficult to compete with GFX.

I now hope to one day own GFX instead of 645z. Unless Pentax 645 series came out with something great.
Launch price is unimportant and I'm sure that ricoh will reevaluate current pricing and if they see GFX as a threat, they will cut pricing on it a little bit. The 645z's R and D is probably paid for long ago and any revenue from it is gravy at this point.

The thing is that the 645z was released at a time when the cheapest medium formats available were quite a bit more expensive than current and so its release price was geared towards that market. Now, it is a bit different.

That said, 8500 dollars is way too rich for my blood and if I were going to "invest" in this sort of gear, it would be for a 645D and some used FA glass. I just can't see it otherwise.

01-19-2017, 08:24 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Launch price is unimportant and I'm sure that ricoh will reevaluate current pricing and if they see GFX as a threat, they will cut pricing on it a little bit. The 645z's R and D is probably paid for long ago and any revenue from it is gravy at this point.

The thing is that the 645z was released at a time when the cheapest medium formats available were quite a bit more expensive than current and so its release price was geared towards that market. Now, it is a bit different.

That said, 8500 dollars is way too rich for my blood and if I were going to "invest" in this sort of gear, it would be for a 645D and some used FA glass. I just can't see it otherwise.
the price as good as it may be will block me as well. a good used 645d and a couple of lenses is more attainable. I have a feeling i would like the fuji becasue it mimics what i shoot now in layout and function and that is always a nice benefit
01-19-2017, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ricoh's pricing logic may not be as simple as it seems because there's two key groups of customers that won't be swayed by a cheaper 645Z price:

1. There's a percentage of potential customers who will buy the Fuji GFX regardless of any discounting of the 645Z's price because the Fuji is mirrorless, it's the new kid on the block, it's smaller, or it's Fuji (brand loyalty/love).

2. And there's a percentage of potential customers who will buy the Pentax 645Z regardless of the 645Z's higher price because the Fuji is mirrorless (no OVF), it's the new kid on the block (untested), it's smaller (bigger is better), or it's Fuji (brand hatred).

That is, Ricoh may not lose as many 645Z sales being at the GFX+$500 price point as one might think and Ricoh may not gain as many sales if they cut the price as one might think.

It's even possible that the Fuji GFX will boost sales of the 645Z because it will cause people who never were in the market for medium format digital to look at all the options and end up picking Pentax. Moreover, there's a well-known effect in behavioral economics in which many consumers tend to pick the middle-priced option -- they avoid the cheapest and most expensive versions of things.

Thus, Ricoh may take a wait-and-see approach and only mark down the 645Z if they think the lost profit on each unit is offset by a gain in unit sales.
01-20-2017, 01:21 AM   #40
Pentaxian

I think Fuji will take a fair few of potential Pentax 645Z customers due largely to price and size, but even if I had the cash I wouldn't pre-order, I'd prefer to wait and see how it performs.

Regarding jpeg output, the Fuji X cameras do remarkably well. I almost never use un-edited jpegs from my Pentax SLRs as there's so often something wrong - colour balance or exposure. That's much less common with my X-M1 because a mirrorless "sees" the exposure and colour balance much more accurately than an SLR. I often use SOOC jpegs from the Fuji.
01-20-2017, 03:42 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I think Fuji will take a fair few of potential Pentax 645Z customers due largely to price and size, but even if I had the cash I wouldn't pre-order, I'd prefer to wait and see how it performs.

Regarding jpeg output, the Fuji X cameras do remarkably well. I almost never use un-edited jpegs from my Pentax SLRs as there's so often something wrong - colour balance or exposure. That's much less common with my X-M1 because a mirrorless "sees" the exposure and colour balance much more accurately than an SLR. I often use SOOC jpegs from the Fuji.
It would be hard to tell, wouldn't it? The medium format market as a whole is tiny and folks who shoot medium format are looking for ultimate image quality, not necessarily the fastest auto focus or frame rates. The interesting thing to me is that Fuji is making a camera that matches the specs of Pentax's three year old camera, while (hopefully) Pentax is working on something else to replace the Z.

In the end, I doubt many will switch/buy in until Fuifilm's lens line up is a little more complete. I also wonder what Pentax is working on. The 645Z was announced in April of 2014 meaning that it is due for a refresh some time this year. My guess is that they release a full frame medium format camera, while keeping the 645z around and dropping the price on it a little. 28mm on a full frame medium format sensor would be pretty sweet.

Size is probably the biggest thing in the GFX's favor, but once you include some glass, neither one of these cameras will fit into a small bag easily.

With regard to shooting SOOC jpegs, I just don't understand why you would take the time and effort to shoot with medium format and then pitch the dynamic range and shadow detail out the window by shooting jpegs. It feels like medium format shooters shoot a lot of landscape and studio shots. For studio shots, it probably isn't a big deal, but for landscape, there is no way that you would want to shoot jpeg, even if color balance and exposure are just perfect. It just feels like the reasons to shoot medium format are for (1) better dynamic range and (2) better detail (with the ability to print/view larger without softening of your image).
01-20-2017, 04:15 AM   #42
Veteran Member

With regard to shooting SOOC jpegs, I just don't understand why you would take the time and effort to shoot with medium format and then pitch the dynamic range and shadow detail out the window by shooting jpegs. It feels like medium format shooters shoot a lot of landscape and studio shots. For studio shots, it probably isn't a big deal, but for landscape, there is no way that you would want to shoot jpeg, even if color balance and exposure are just perfect. It just feels like the reasons to shoot medium format are for (1) better dynamic range and (2) better detail (with the ability to print/view larger without softening of your image).
Well, you forget doctors, lawyers, singers, actors,... they buy the best gear on the market to shoot in Auto mode why ? because they can afford it
01-20-2017, 04:47 AM   #43
Veteran Member

It would be hard to tell, wouldn't it? The medium format market as a whole is tiny and folks who shoot medium format are looking for ultimate image quality, not necessarily the fastest auto focus or frame rates. The interesting thing to me is that Fuji is making a camera that matches the specs of Pentax's three year old camera, while (hopefully) Pentax is working on something else to replace the Z.

In the end, I doubt many will switch/buy in until Fuifilm's lens line up is a little more complete. I also wonder what Pentax is working on. The 645Z was announced in April of 2014 meaning that it is due for a refresh some time this year. My guess is that they release a full frame medium format camera, while keeping the 645z around and dropping the price on it a little. 28mm on a full frame medium format sensor would be pretty sweet.

Size is probably the biggest thing in the GFX's favor, but once you include some glass, neither one of these cameras will fit into a small bag easily.

I think anyone buying it will be doing post, but the amount of time you need to spend is impacted by SOOC sidecar files
Right now every image out here is SOOC because there was no raw plugin for any of the edit software as it wasn't the final firmware. Any edits were in camera conversions, so have a look at the large images out there and realize pretty much no more than a basic edit and maybe a basic edit of the JPEG but no one likes editing jpegs if they can avoid it.
I'm pretty impressed. As for lens selection the focus seems more on wide with a portrait lens and the 120 macro in this years lens crop. So the initial focus is landscape and documentary photography and possibly some wedding work though I think 2018 will see the longer lengths . They have also announce a fujinon h adaptor is under development. That gives he ability to use all the great Fuji for hassleblad lenses . It also addresses lack of leaf shutter (the camera is compatible with leaf lenses already in that you can turn off built in shutter)
My biggest complaint would be e lack of planning for a larger sensor as time passes, maybe not ff but a bigger crop
01-20-2017, 05:09 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Fuji is not a popular brand for digital cameras at all outside the yuppie geek fraction and some die hard online fans. So their new toy will appeal to the same very limited crowd but not to anyone else. That is why they are so niche that even Pentax can be considered a large mainstream brand in comparison.

But for these mostly low level amateurs with money it is irrelevant if the camera has other modes outside green mode or Av (for the really smart ones), same as it is irrelevant if it can create raws (what is that?).

I am rather suprised the GFX sucks so badly with regards to design, because that is the other important thing for the Fuji geeks: look. The bling-bling factor is missing.
If Hassi can actually deliver their much superior camera, the Fuji stands no chance to compete, even if they drop the price by another 50%.
The Fuji reception already has been lukewarm at best for a good reason.

Still that wont stop your dentists' wife from buying one to document their little children and ponies in Green mode JPG, just to upload it to instagram.
01-20-2017, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Fuji is not a popular brand for digital cameras at all outside the yuppie geek fraction and some die hard online fans. So their new toy will appeal to the same very limited crowd but not to anyone else. That is why they are so niche that even Pentax can be considered a large mainstream brand in comparison.

But for these mostly low level amateurs with money it is irrelevant if the camera has other modes outside green mode or Av (for the really smart ones), same as it is irrelevant if it can create raws (what is that?).

I am rather suprised the GFX sucks so badly with regards to design, because that is the other important thing for the Fuji geeks: look. The bling-bling factor is missing.
If Hassi can actually deliver their much superior camera, the Fuji stands no chance to compete, even if they drop the price by another 50%.
The Fuji reception already has been lukewarm at best for a good reason.

Still that wont stop your dentists' wife from buying one to document their little children and ponies in Green mode JPG, just to upload it to instagram.

This is pure nonsense. I hope the moderator removes this poison from the thread.