Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Then again, look what happened when Minolta "imitated" Honeywell a little too closely.

I'm not going to say this will end with Fuji lying dead in the dust and their tech wearing a Ricoh label, but still, the line between "hack" and "plagiarise" can get pretty thin if you're an IT lawyer out for blood.
i doubt the hack is what they will use, it would have been a test (and i agree it does sound like a story from marketing more than engineering) like anything else fuji will be taking an openly available sensor (that Pentax and others use) and adapting it their way (as all the brands do)

01-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax is a very easy target for competition because weak in marketing / sales / promotional efforts. Technical, just make a product taking some of the specs of the Pentax product, and roll out the product with broad marketing & sales, and wipe out Pentax remaining shares. The problem of making great products with tiny marketing/sales spending is the next one with louder voice cover the small voice of Pentax.
01-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
In the end, it's a Sony sensor from both. Neither is FABing their own propriety sensor. If and when a true 6x4.5 size sensor becomes available, it will be available to everyone. Yes, Pentax will be able to drop it into their current body, easily - however the others will soon follow....

The full sized sensor is already available. Phase One is using it. The Fuji GFX mount does not support a sensor larger than the current 645 crop sensor, so Fuji won't be dropping a larger sensor in without a new mount and new lenses. Pentax and Phase One can both use the larger system with their current mount.
01-17-2017, 05:14 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
i doubt the hack is what they will use, it would have been a test (and i agree it does sound like a story from marketing more than engineering) like anything else fuji will be taking an openly available sensor (that Pentax and others use) and adapting it their way (as all the brands do)
Fuji is fine. They make nice cameras and very nice lenses. I just don't think they are magic. People have this impression that they have somehow defeated the laws of physics. The reality is that they have a really good jpeg engine -- a lot better than Pentax's. Once you get to RAW files, they are about equivalent to similar sensors -- that is to say the K5 and X Pro-1 will have similar dynamic range and noise, assuming the same iso. The same will be true for the GFX versus the 645Z.

The GFX will not be compatible with a full sized medium format sensor, nor will the glass they are building cover that size sensor meaning that if the market moves in that direction, they could have a little tougher time selling crop medium format. A lot depends on pricing and performance of all of these cameras and it is too soon to say for sure.

01-17-2017, 09:41 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sorry, I still don't buy it. Fuji works most of their magic by overstating their iso levels, making Fuji image files seem cleaner at a given iso than competitors. By using the x trans sensor, they make certain that DXO Mark doesn't test their images to clarify the situation.
The way this is phrased implies that a reason Fuji uses X-Trans is to "make certain that DXO Mark doesn't test their images". Fuji has been using "alternative" sensor technology since before DXO existed. DXO itself claims that it is possible to modify their procedures and software to measure the X-Trans sensor, but they don't feel it's the best use of their resources to do so at this time. Same thing with Foveon sensors. If Fuji and Sigma (whose RAWs are even more proprietary than Fuji and highly modified) were to gain large marketshare, you bet DXO would begin to measure the sensors.

QuoteQuote:
Beyond which RAW files should not have proprietary processing applied. If Fuji is applying processing that sticks with an image when you open it in Lightroom, then that is bad on their part. You should have a clean, neutral file that you can then process however you want.
Pentax has been cooking their RAW files since the K-5, and even moreso in the K-70.

But yeah, I think this sounds like marketspeak shenanigans on Fuji's part, if the story is fairly close to the truth.
01-18-2017, 12:48 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I'm not surprised at all that Fuji looked at a Pentax camera in order to make their decision on whether or not to go MF. As a user of both systems it's clear that they share a common design idea - to make gear that's for photographers rather than people who just want a bigger camera, thinking that simply buying one will improve their photography. I've used Canon & Nikon gear and it's much more difficult to use because they prioritise dummy modes over controls that are important for photography.

I fully expect the Fuji MF gear to be superb, not that I'll ever own any of it. I'll be sticking with film for my MF.
01-18-2017, 01:31 AM   #22
Veteran Member

All this fuss over nothing.... the K-1 is the new MF anyway. Everybody knows that....

01-18-2017, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
All this fuss over nothing.... the K-1 is the new MF anyway. Everybody knows that....
That's BS too.
01-18-2017, 02:53 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
It closed the gap between FF and MF nicely
01-18-2017, 08:08 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The way this is phrased implies that a reason Fuji uses X-Trans is to "make certain that DXO Mark doesn't test their images". Fuji has been using "alternative" sensor technology since before DXO existed. DXO itself claims that it is possible to modify their procedures and software to measure the X-Trans sensor, but they don't feel it's the best use of their resources to do so at this time. Same thing with Foveon sensors. If Fuji and Sigma (whose RAWs are even more proprietary than Fuji and highly modified) were to gain large marketshare, you bet DXO would begin to measure the sensors.

Pentax has been cooking their RAW files since the K-5, and even moreso in the K-70.

But yeah, I think this sounds like marketspeak shenanigans on Fuji's part, if the story is fairly close to the truth.
There was someone who ran various files through a program that looked for RAW noise reduction/tampering and found that there was some in the K3 starting at iso 3200, but not below that. Other Pentax cameras it seemed to start at iso 1600. That said, that is not the sort of thing you would notice at all in real world shooting.

When I read this "story" I see someone saying "We took an unprocessed file and processed it and lo and behold, it looked better." If all we are doing is comparing jpeg engines, then this is a non-story since few medium format shooters will shoot SOOC jpegs.

Last edited by Rondec; 01-18-2017 at 08:29 AM.
01-18-2017, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #26
Banned

Sorry if I don't buy into the adervtising hype.

If someone has enough money to buy a 645z or Fuji gfx, I hope to goodness that they are doing their own post processing and not relying on camera jpeg engines. Seems like a waste otherwise.
It's the ultimate snapchat camera.
01-18-2017, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There was someone who ran various files through a program that looked for RAW noise reduction/tampering and found that there was some in the K3 starting at iso 3200, but not below that. Other Pentax cameras it seemed to start at iso 1600. That said, that is not the sort of thing you would notice at all in real world shooting.

When I read this "story" I see someone saying "We took an unprocessed file and processed it and lo and behold, it looked better." If all we are doing is comparing jpeg engines, then this is a non-story since few medium format shooters will shoot SOOC jpegs.
Exactly!

And yet this highlights a sad truth that even the most professional of cameras live and die in the market based on the judgements of amateurs looking at SOOC images.
01-18-2017, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
It closed the gap between FF and MF nicely
Well, between APS-C and MF anyway.
01-19-2017, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #29

You know guys, I do get completely this mentality that you need to shoot raw, and then edit it to get the results. I really do, I shoot raw all the time.

But I gotta tell you, the Fuji inbuilt colours are really incredibly good. I use XT2's alongside my 645z and the fuji's just look great out of the camera. In lightroom you can switch between the various styles in the raw file, and often it's better than my own LR presets (that I've spent a lot of time making!!!). It's certainly a heck of a lot more consistent than my editing

I'm assuming it'll be the same on the gfx.
01-19-2017, 01:28 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Pentax RAW file was already superior to the original Pentax image simply by applying their own image processing algorithm
If they are using SOOC processing then that is understandable, even adobe can produce JPEG files from RAWs with superior output quality to Pentax. Crucial context is lost in the quotation through omission of what they were comparing the image data to.

i'm calling this BUNK. On the fact that there is no evidence or description of the imaging pipeline used, and no meaningful data confirming their conclusion was published.