Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2017, 07:14 PM   #1

Noise inside 55mm f4 67 lens

just bought a mint 55mm f4 SMC 67 lens (latest version) and I noticed there is a strange noise inside the lens when I rotate it. Sounds like grains of sand or ball bearings sliding inside the lens barrel.
Is this normal? the lens looks mint with no signs of damage.
Can anyone with the same lens check their lens for me?
Thanks.

01-20-2017, 07:28 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If it has noise, it aint mint.

No the noise is not normal. If it is sand or grit, the focusing ring will have a thoroughly annoying raspy, gritty movement to it. I am unsure if this is what you mean, or if the lens, tilted back and forth has some small part (a pawl?) adrift and moving around that you can hear/feel. I can't imagine this problem developing in normal everyday use, so it's possible the lens was dropped (?)

I have the same lens (SMC Pentax 67 55mm f4) and it is a super-smooth movement from start to end; it is mounted to my 67 presently. No rattles or scratchiness; I use it most days, second only to the 75mm AL (these are my two fav lenses). That said, I suspect something like sand or grit has worked its way under the focusing ring. Sometimes compressed air can be used to dislodge grit, but it only moves it to a new area and the problem continues. Obviously if something has broken away this won't work. The effective remedy is disassembly of the lens. It is an excellent lens and I would have no hesitation in having it serviced in order to get many years of enjoyment out of its use.
01-21-2017, 01:36 AM   #3

Mine's silent and smooth too.
01-21-2017, 04:06 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I purchased a brand new SMC Pentax 67 55mm f4 back in June 2000 and noticed the same thing -- a noise when I rotated the lens around. I still have the lens, and it still has the noise. I'd forgotten about it, as the lens has never had any problems with its operation or the quality of images (excellent). I hope yours serves as well, even if it isn't silent.

01-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #5

Original Poster
looks like it's not so uncommon because I read a few people complaining about the same issue. good thing is, it seems like it doesn't affect the optical quality.
I just wonder what it could be and if it can be fixed.
Is there any service center in the states that repair Pentax 67 lenses? Well, I'm going to Korea and Japan next month so maybe I will have better luck fixing it there.
01-21-2017, 06:18 PM   #6

I suppose that it's reasonable to assume that there will be the odd lens that has a different feel. I have six P67 lenses and five of them are smooth whilst being well damped but the sixth, the 100/4 macro, feels a little industrial in comparison.
01-21-2017, 10:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jaehoppa Quote
looks like it's not so uncommon because I read a few people complaining about the same issue. good thing is, it seems like it doesn't affect the optical quality.
I just wonder what it could be and if it can be fixed.
Is there any service center in the states that repair Pentax 67 lenses? Well, I'm going to Korea and Japan next month so maybe I will have better luck fixing it there.

I dislike the idea, very strongly, of sourcing lenses from e.g. eBay or other auction sites. Experience has taught me to get my hands on a lens — any lens (or camera) before I part with any money. Experience has also taught me to never automatically trust sellers.

Meanwhile, a lens can rattle and tinkle all it wants; it's curious others are reporting a bit of noise.. So long as it doesn't affect optical performance or function of e.g. aperature ring, let it be. You could make an enquiry with Eric Henderson who often gets referrals for repairs and look-see at Pentax 6x7 and 67 cameras: Home

Besides the foregoing, the 55mm f4 is one of the sharpest knives in the SMCP67 cabinet and worth hanging onto. The other is the 45mm, and the big daddy of them all is the 75 2.8AL (which will be used on my next visit to these dead trees later this coming week).

Last edited by Silent Street; 07-28-2017 at 05:49 PM.
01-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lovely shot mate! Where is that (if you don't mind my asking)?