Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #16

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I buy a lot of used photographic equipment from Japan, cameras and lenses mostly, from several different sellers, because the quality of service is always outstanding and the items always 100% as they were described. I also find the prices very reasonable and the shipping charges are always very fair, and I live in Iceland. Sellers in the U.S. usually want to charge me 50-100 dollars for shipping only, no matter what the item is, and I sometimes just don't understand how they justify that cost. Of course there are bad apples in between with the Japanese sellers but they are not so difficult to detect. But this is just my personal experience, I'm not stating any facts here. I must say though, that I would prefer to see or get my hands on things before I buy, but availability of used gear here in Iceland is very limited and expensive, at least the things I need.

Last edited by Alpinus; 02-13-2017 at 02:01 AM.
02-12-2017, 09:59 PM   #17

I recently bought a mint copy of the lens but found out it had a strange noise inside like there was bits of sand inside so returned it to the seller but then I found another mint looking one through a friend in Korea for $120 (newest version with hood) and that one also has a similar noise according to the seller but I bought it anyway because the price was too good to pass up and it looked like new. I also asked one of Ebay sellers who was selling one to check for such noise and he said his lens also exhibited this issue so I'm guessing it's a very common issue. I will be traveling to Korea for a few weeks so I'm going to visit a repair shop to find out what exactly is the cause of the noise and if it is something to be concerned about. I will let you guys know if I find out.
02-13-2017, 06:09 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for sharing this with me. I appreciate. I am going to stay with the 6x7 55 lens and not pursue the 67 I appreciate it
02-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Not wanting to discourage you unduly, but buying from Japan by post is very risky, because ideally you should handle the lens (or camera!) before you part with your money. In Japan, they have their fingers aiming for your pockets with grossly inflated prices on everything (not just on, or exclusively with, eBay listings). At street level in Japan cameras and lenses are still expensive (very much so the classics); a savvy shopper would to get a professional go-between like Bellamy Hunt (Japan Camera Hunter) to scout out what you need or want at what price. Otherwise it is buyer beware.

I have serious concerns with the SMC Pentax 67 55mm because locally some have turned up with the same rattling/scratchy focusing action as reported here on the Pentax forum recently. It is a good lens, but it is tarnished by a fault underneath. One dealer I spoke to thinks the lenses have a "weak link" that is not holding up over time, rather than dirt/grit working its way into the barrel. Rough treatment also cannot be ruled out. I'm wondering if there is a trail of this fault through serial numbers?

Buying from Japan is the best you can do on eBay, the best quality and lowest prices. I have bought a ton of equipment for there and never had a problem.

02-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablo Villegas Quote
Buying from Japan is the best you can do on eBay, the best quality and lowest prices. I have bought a ton of equipment for there and never had a problem.

Thank you for sharing that
02-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablo Villegas Quote

eBay!? That is fantasy.
And postage is not free. At the Customs gate, they'll do the postage for you and add it to the tax bill, in those countries where import duties apply e.g. here in Australia for imports over AUD$1,000 (from July 1st this year tax will apply on all imports irrespective of the amount).

On my trip to Tokyo last May it was said to me by several dealers who also have an eBay shopfront that postage is worked into the overall cost and shown as "free". It cannot be free because postage in Japan to destinations around the globe is not and never has been cheap. Customs around the world know about this and have the means to determine the postage.

It is a very enjoyable experience to shop in person for camera equipment in Japan, if you keep in mind that it is not like shopping in New York or Vancouver! And arrangements for thoroughly checking out equipment (the range is mind boggling, while eBay is not) before committing to purchase are respected. I would happily put money aside to travel to Japan than buy stuff through eBay simply because personal experience and wisdom has taught me just what can happen. And I'm not alone. I return Japan again this year/

Don't be swept off your feet by everything and anything that glitters and shines on eBay. It is a very expensive place for sellers and buyers alike and not everything is as it seems.
02-13-2017, 03:45 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
eBay!? That is fantasy.
And postage is not free. At the Customs gate, they'll do the postage for you and add it to the tax bill, in those countries where import duties apply e.g. here in Australia for imports over AUD$1,000 (from July 1st this year tax will apply on all imports irrespective of the amount).

On my trip to Tokyo last May it was said to me by several dealers who also have an eBay shopfront that postage is worked into the overall cost and shown as "free". It cannot be free because postage in Japan to destinations around the globe is not and never has been cheap. Customs around the world know about this and have the means to determine the postage.

It is a very enjoyable experience to shop in person for camera equipment in Japan, if you keep in mind that it is not like shopping in New York or Vancouver! And arrangements for thoroughly checking out equipment (the range is mind boggling, while eBay is not) before committing to purchase are respected. I would happily put money aside to travel to Japan than buy stuff through eBay simply because personal experience and wisdom has taught me just what can happen. And I'm not alone. I return Japan again this year/

Don't be swept off your feet by everything and anything that glitters and shines on eBay. It is a very expensive place for sellers and buyers alike and not everything is as it seems.
I can understand that transactions are more expensive from Australia, but it's really a great experience buying from Japan in the States.

02-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I can understand that transactions are more expensive from Australia, but it's really a great experience buying from Japan in the States.

Of the two countries where eBay transactions are very, very expensive for Australians, the USA stands out, with Japan a close second. Canada is not so great a problem as the exchange rate is pretty much equal, but the postage is astronomical.

As an example, a long time ago I bought an eyecup for my Pentax 67 from an eBay seller. The cost was $25.00. The postage was a strictly not negotiable $69.95 (!) Yes, for a small USPC jiffy bag. And the actual postage was $8.40. What happened to the rest of the money!?
02-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #24

eBay!? That is fantasy.

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
And from Mexico as well.

I never said postage was free, although I just bought a Pentax 645 A 150mm lens, and the postage was free, from Japan.
I have bought entire camera systems from there, Mamiya 645 Pro TL with 80mm lens, Mamiya RZ67 Pro II with 110mm lens, and a lot of lenses for both systems and for Pentax 645, and never had a problem, in fact, they're are a lot better preserved and a lot cheaper than from the US and Europe. Europe is the most expensive option, and in the US they apparently didn't take care of their stuff or use it a lot! This is all for Japan photographic equipment.

I'm shopping right now for Pentax 645 lenses, so this is an example...
From Japan
*Excellent* SMC Pentax FA 645 80-160mm F/4.5 Lens for Pentax 645 From Japan #507 27075046405 | eBay

From the US
Pentax SMCP-FA 645 80-160mm F4.5 Lens For 645 - Boxed Demo - #26755 | eBay

From Europe
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-SMC-Pentax-FA-645-Zoom-80-160mm-f-4-5-4216908...IAAOSw6DtYYVM6

You can see how buying from Japan is a lot cheaper on Japanese photographic equipment.