Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2017, 11:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Help: Not Sure What to do With Auto/Manual settings on 6X7 55mm 4 lens

Just received this lens in Excellent condition. It has a slide on the lens which says: Auto and manual. I tried to move the switch side to side to go from Auro to Manual and it just moves back to the Manual side . Also, How do I see the Exposure in the Viewfinder or Top LCD on my 645D?
I move the f stop but no Exposure number appears. Thank you. Dennis

02-11-2017, 11:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which specific lens is it? Here's an A series lens (manual focus) for a 645 series camera. They don't have Auto/Manual switches that I am aware of. They have a button you press to move the aperture ring to the A position. Is that what you mean?

SMC Pentax-A 645 75mm F2.8 Reviews - 645 Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
02-11-2017, 12:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Its a 55mm f4. 6x7 lens with a 645 Adaptor to use on my 645D. Thank you
02-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
6x7 lenses use stop down metering on the 645D from what I read. I think that means leaving it on Manual.

02-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #5

I don't have a Pentax 67, but on Mamiya's lenses, the Auto/Manual mode is for using auto stop down metering. That means that no matter what fstop you choose, the camera iris will always be wide open until just a moment before the shutter opens, that way you can and see and focus better before taking the picture. And it also tells the built in meter to meter with the Fstop you chose, instead of wide open. If you're using an dalater that doesn't have the Auto lettering, it doesn't supports it, so, the lens needs to be set to manual, and the Fstop you choose will in fact lower the amount of light getting in, from the moment you choose it, so your camera can only be used in Manual or Aperture priority mode.
02-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by rollsman4 Quote
Just received this lens in Excellent condition. It has a slide on the lens which says: Auto and manual. I tried to move the switch side to side to go from Auro to Manual and it just moves back to the Manual side
When you slide the level across with your thumb, apply a little upward pull when it reaches the limit of travel and it should lock there......it confused me too.

Bob
02-11-2017, 04:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Push the lever down until it clicks into place in the Manual position.
Tap the top part of the lever to release it (it will then spring back to auto). There is no difference to the operation of the Auto/Manual lever on this or any other Pentax 67 lens.
Stop-down metering is used on any camera other than the native 6x7 / 67 bodies, and this is the case with your 645D, thus exposure should be set manually (in manual mode).

02-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Push the lever down until it clicks into place in the Manual position.
Tap the top part of the lever to release it (it will then spring back to auto). There is no difference to the operation of the Auto/Manual lever on this or any other Pentax 67 lens.
Stop-down metering is used on any camera other than the native 6x7 / 67 bodies, and this is the case with your 645D, thus exposure should be set manually (in manual mode).
Fantastic. Thank you all for helping me out with this. Just 1 thing more: Its normal NOT to see the aperture in the top LCD ? Correct?
02-11-2017, 11:20 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by rollsman4 Quote
Fantastic. Thank you all for helping me out with this. Just 1 thing more: Its normal NOT to see the aperture in the top LCD ? Correct?
Yeah, there are no electronics telling the camera body which aperture you chose. But it can measure amount of light, and expose accordingly.
02-13-2017, 06:08 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all. I tried to slide and lock and it worked... a liitle tricky. Great Build quality. I am going to stay with this one and not go after a 67 55mm due to the problems I read about. Thank you