Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-15-2017, 12:16 PM   #1

645z viewfinder display problem

I turned on the camera today and noticed that the viewfinder shutter speed display has started failing. It does not display certain numbers. Would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone that has experienced anything similar and what you did to resolve it.
The shutter speed was 2500.

Attached Images

02-16-2017, 12:21 PM   #2

Original Poster
It looks like this is an isolated case... searching the web did not turn up anyone reporting a similar problem on a 645z however there are reports on similar failures on k series cameras. As luck would have it, not only is the camera is still under warranty but provides the thrilling experience of sending it in to Precision Camera in Enfield, CT.
Anyone have any recent experience with Precision? Numerous posts indicate that the 645z is sent to Japan for service and to plan on a minimum 8 weeks turn around with little to no communication. Is this still the case? Thanks.
02-16-2017, 02:02 PM   #3

Precision turned mine around in about 10 days, which was a real surprise. Mine only needed a sensor clean because it arrived with some goop on it that the various VisibleDust solutions couldn't get off, but the turnaround still was way better than I feared it would be.
02-19-2017, 03:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I noticed this thread with interest.

There are quite a few cameras (Canon, Nikon, older Contax) and electronic accessories, such as lightmeters (Gossen, Sekonic L-series digital meters, come to mind) that have a partial to fully garbled display.
This is usually put down to a fault in the LCD display driver, manifesting as partially charged segments, random flickering of segments to rapid alternating between flickering and stable in a garbled state. It is not self-recoverable (by the display) which is why the circuit that controls the display is first to be examined, along with any evidence of moisture ingress. I have had a Sekonic L758D multispot/incident meter that developed this malaise and it was put down to repeated cycles of high humidity and temperature followed by extreme dryness. A very tiny circuit governing the display was replaced under warranty and all was good!

03-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
Update:
Sent the Z in to Precision...
Delivered by UPS on 2/28.
Repair was completed 3/3 (Friday)
Shipped back on 3/6 (Monday)
Received today, 3/8.
Not only is the viewfinder repaired, the Z was given a detailed service and cleaning as well.
Well pleased with the turnaround.
03-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gunner:

I'm glad to hear all is well and the rapid turnaround. How die you manage to get the image through the viewfinder that you posted?

Tom
03-08-2017, 10:07 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
Hi Tom.
took that with an iphone.

03-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks.. LOL, I expected some complicated macro setup!