Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #1

foam seals for pentax 6x7

Does anyone have a good recommendation for where to buy new foam seals/gaskets for a Pentax 6x7? Thanks!

02-22-2017, 10:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ebay , a seller from Gerrmany has a pre cut set
02-22-2017, 10:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Rikuo Nakamura,
Asahi-Custom Camera Coverings
2-120 Monoyama Midoriku
Nagoya Japan
Tel/Fax 052--893-8458

You will need this kit (TTL or non-TTL prism seal kit, rear door chanels etc.)
http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/Pentax67/LightSeal/Pentax67LightSeal.php ($12.00)

The kit comes with 2 sets of very well made, ultra-sticky foam seals, so if you stuff up one (which you must earnestly avoid!) you have another to fall back on. Be aware that replacing the foam is an extremely fiddly and laborious affair (and that is just for the TTL prism!! ) and every skerrick of the old foam material must be removed. Seals for the rear cover are relatively easy but you must place them accurately — the adhesive is incredibly sticky and won't let go for minor repositioning, save for the technique mentioned in the instructions to dab a bit of water on.
02-23-2017, 06:14 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your suggestions! I've tried replacing foam seals before, and I completely agree that it is the biggest pain. Maybe I should pay someone to do this for me? But I just got a like new in box 6x7 (with the original boxes and papers), and I don't want to let anyone else touch it yet

02-23-2017, 06:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benm3 Quote
Thanks for your suggestions! I've tried replacing foam seals before, and I completely agree that it is the biggest pain. Maybe I should pay someone to do this for me? But I just got a like new in box 6x7 (with the original boxes and papers), and I don't want to let anyone else touch it yet
Eric will do the seal replacements on your 6x7, send him an email.

Pentax Camera Repairs

Phil.
02-23-2017, 06:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Eric will do the seal replacements on your 6x7, send him an email. Pentax Camera Repairs
Well, Eric is more than 18,000km away from where I am and that wasn't an option. So I took on the task myself (it's now almost 4 years back). I survived, but had sore thumbs from hard rubbing and went through a pack of tissues, a bottle of isopropyl alcohol, cotton buds, and a full and unbridled lexicon of very bad swear words. All that for the TTL prism seals. Drrrrrrft.
02-23-2017, 10:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Well, Eric is more than 18,000km away from where I am and that wasn't an option. So I took on the task myself (it's now almost 4 years back). I survived, but had sore thumbs from hard rubbing and went through a pack of tissues, a bottle of isopropyl alcohol, cotton buds, and a full and unbridled lexicon of very bad swear words. All that for the TTL prism seals. Drrrrrrft.
Yep I can relate, I also redid my 6x7 prism seals with the Asahi kit. Fun it wasn't and I'm not sure if I would want to do the entire camera though. Other than Eric, I do have a "jack of all brands" camera repair shop a couple blocks from where I live, that could do a tedious job like that.

Phil.
02-26-2017, 08:15 AM   #8

Original Poster
So you have all 100% convinced me to send the camera to Eric. Truth be told, every single time I have started a camera repair by myself, I have ended up regretting the decision

02-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #9

the the Vievfinder Inserts I got some good parts from Kameradoktor.de some years ago.