Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2017, 02:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
CP+ and nothing......It's no wonder Fuji is winning the game

Pentax couldn't even give us a hint, a prototype or anything related to the 645 system.

Where are the new zooms........FFS!

I'm starting to wonder what is actually happening over at Pentax HQ, maybe lots of snakes and ladders.

02-24-2017, 03:44 AM   #2

Its always a mystery with the Japanese. Always very secretive, and the marketing....horrible. Who knows!!!!
02-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #3

No doubt about it:

PENTAX is DooomedŽ
02-24-2017, 08:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I honestly like that Pentax is not overreacting to every single new gadget that is released.

Fuji medium format mirrorless looks interesting, but as far as I can see there are only 3 lenses for it.

02-24-2017, 08:35 AM - 8 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

OK, why this thread is not worth reading.

The author declares "Fuji is winning the game."

SO, what is "the game". It's not defined. You can't tell if Fuji is winning it because we don't know what "the game" is.

The only game Fuji could possibly be winning is the number of releases at some trade show.
In terms of number of lenses available, the availability of legacy glass, and number of system (Pentax has the 645D and the 645z) Fuji is losing the game. It is quite common for a manufacturer to start releasing a large number of lenses with a new system. They have to just to get a few sales. It is rare for a manufacturer to continue at that level years after the introduction of said camera.

But particularly offensive is "it's no wonder Fuji is winning the game" , in this statement the OP declares some camera company "the winner" based on the poster's myopic view of the world. "Is Fuji winning the game" would be a point of discussion. The Op only wants to discuss his assumed fact that Fuji is winning some game.

If there is a game Fuji is winning, it's not a game that matters.

When they are winning the "established user base" game, they will have accomplished something. But there is no reason to believe they will ever win that one.
02-24-2017, 08:53 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If there is a game Fuji is winning, it's not a game that matters.
You made a bunch of excellent points. Perhaps, at this point and time, Fuji is winning the PR game because the news of their 645 camera is all over the place. Fuji is certainly doing a lot better in the PR and marketing department vs. Pentax.

At the same time, I am of the belief that Pentax is up to something big. And in typical Pentax fashion they do not adhere to a particular show or event for their announcements. So I am not surprised that they did not announce anything about the 645 system at CP+.

Also, let's not forget that the mirrorless war that is going on in the 35mm DSLR world has now come to the 645 world.

I am a diehard Pentaxian. But at the same time, I cannot ignore the compelling 645 package Fuji is offering. It is a lot more compact than the Z and enough lenses to get going. All said and done, they will have what looks likes five very useful lenses from the get go. I am not sure if many Pentaxians will dump their Z for the Fuji but a lot of small sensor DSLR people wanting to go to a bigger sensor might be interested in the value proposition of the Fuji.

Ok Pentax, let's see what you have up your sleeve!
02-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZeljkoS Quote
I honestly like that Pentax is not overreacting to every single new gadget that is released.

Fuji medium format mirrorless looks interesting, but as far as I can see there are only 3 lenses for it.

As of the release there are only three. But by june or july there will be another two lenses, including a 23 mm. Also some adapters that will allow for manual control to other system lenses including pentax 645, adapters to their leaf shutter lenses. In all fuji is doing wonders for their medium format line. Something that it feels like pentax is neglecting because they need to start building newer items for their full frame system.

02-24-2017, 09:00 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Pentax couldn't even give us a hint, a prototype or anything related to the 645 system.

Where are the new zooms........FFS!

I'm starting to wonder what is actually happening over at Pentax HQ, maybe lots of snakes and ladders.
They're clearly focusing on the K-mount system. I'm sure those things will come in due time- we'll know more once the interview is posted.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-24-2017, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

SO this is really about no new Pentax 645 zooms...

How long at their current rate will it take for Fuji to catch up with the existing Pentax lens line up?
Now add in the lenses from the film era that still work on a 645 D or Z, how long will it take fuji to catch up now?

Just wondering.
02-24-2017, 10:15 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

For me Fuji wins in medium format, being as good or better than their Kodak or Ilford rivals but once you move to 4X5 Fuji is overpriced.

Oh you are taking about camera size then Fuji beats Pentax as the GX680 is much bigger than the 67.
02-24-2017, 10:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
SO this is really about no new Pentax 645 zooms...

How long at their current rate will it take for Fuji to catch up with the existing Pentax lens line up?
Now add in the lenses from the film era that still work on a 645 D or Z, how long will it take fuji to catch up now?

Just wondering.

In some aspect not that far from now if they are taking the same ideas from their crop sensor line. This year it will be the 23, the 63, 120 macro, the 110, and the 32-63. You thrown in adapters for their leaf shutter lenses, Hasselblad, pentax (at that point legacy glass doesnt give pentax an advantage), and a couple other manufacturers. So in a sense they are looking pretty good. You are not able to get a ultra wide angle prime from pentax right now.

Also forget to mention that all of the new lenses are wr ( hit or miss with some people) along with ois ( hit or miss for some people).

Then again the camera still has yet to be released, but at this point it really looks promising if you ask me. Im just hoping that pentax doesnt fall behind especially on how big the 645z was on its release.

02-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian

One UWA is not going to make a much difference.

What Fuji is doing looks good, if you don't look at what Pentax has done.

Personally, I don't have a digital 645, but I have two lenses I could use on 645D or Z, a 55 and a 75 that came with my film 645. Have you even looked at the Pentax 645 roadmap to understand how much catching up Fuji has to do?

Is it your opinion that people will ignore the whole 645z ecosystem, and just focus on what Fuji is offering this year? I guess it could happen, once or twice.

Some folks are just keeners to be the first kid on the block with the new toy.
02-24-2017, 12:16 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Also some adapters that will allow for manual control to other system lenses including pentax 645, adapters to their leaf shutter lenses.
I hate to admit it but just because of this one feature, Fuji is future proof. The fact that they can use other brands' lenses opens up a world of possibilities. That is one of the reasons why Sony mirrorless and the M43 are gaining market share at the expense of the traditional DSLRs with mirror mechanisms.

What would it take for Pentax to leapfrog everyone else and guarantee a solid future, introduce a mirrorless 6x7 with a FF sensor in the 150-200MP range!! I know... sweet dreams! Why not, Pentax is known for a lot of "firsts" in the industry.
02-24-2017, 12:31 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I hate to admit it but just because of this one feature, Fuji is future proof. The fact that they can use other brands' lenses opens up a world of possibilities. That is one of the reasons why Sony mirrorless and the M43 are gaining market share at the expense of the traditional DSLRs with mirror mechanisms.
My Canon DSLR's are traditional with mirrors and I can use Canon, Nikon, Pentax K, M42, Olympus, Contax/Yashica and any Medium format lenses on them.
02-24-2017, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
That is one of the reasons why Sony mirrorless and the M43 are gaining market share at the expense of the traditional DSLRs with mirror mechanisms.
Well actually that's levelled off. They are no longer gaining market share, because most of us don't like fiddling around with adapters that turn a 2016 camera into a 1990 camera.