Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2017, 09:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

645D ...645Z purchase or not to purchase ???

I am in Toronto, Canada. Long time amateur photog...too many 35mm, medium format, digital, digital slr over the years. Got the bug again. I have been investigating the 645 digital. Someone has a reasonably priced 645D with the 75mm lens and less than 5K on the shutter...and someone else has a 645Z with 55 mm lens and 27K on the shutter. Questions: I have read about problems with the 645D sensor and shutter longevity...would this be a concern to you if you could get the above 645D with low shutter count....or would you consider the 645Z with 27K on the shutter a better choice ??? Is 27K considered low, medium, or...for shutter use and does this number affect the price much ? In the real world...what can expect from the camera/shutter mechanism....is there a big difference in real world longevity of 645D or 645z ??

Thanks.

03-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would go for the 645Z with a higher shutter count. I believe it's rated for 200K, and even if it fails the Z is a much better camera by modern standards.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-05-2017, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Zzzzzzz,but sleep on it!
03-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax 645Z shutter is 'rated' (survived in camera tests) for 100,000 actuations.

PENTAX 645Z A medium-format digital SLR camera featuring a new CMOS image sensor, approximately 51.4 effective megapixels and live-view shooting, for the highest level of creativity and visual expression?RICOH IMAGING
see section 6. Solid, dependable body
QuoteQuote:
while its dependable shutter unit has withstood a punishing operation test of more than 100,000 shutter releases.

03-05-2017, 09:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What is the price difference? All things being equal, the Z is preferable, but price is a reason my 645 rig is still film. I'd consider a smokin' deal on a D to put my toe back in the 645 water.
03-05-2017, 08:24 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Price difference - poster who owns the equipment posted here but it was removed as it was an advertisement for the sale.

So to summarize....the 645D with less than 5K on shutter, 75 mm lens, and flash unit...approx. $2500 US . My only concerns were the associated problems with the 645D shutter...so I therefore looked for a 645Z .

The 645Z that was posted earlier...I was able to get a lower quote from the owner for the 645Z body with 27K on the shutter, 55mm lens, and 150 lens for about $4700 US . My concerns were with the info I have....the owner purchased the camera 3 months ago from KEH..no extended warranty taken, no history of the 27 K (hobbyist or studio camera, any repairs done to it), no software-etc included. So would you have concerns buying this privately or none at all ???

Otherwise I was thinking of the K1 - but getting the correct digital lenses - not cheap. Or upgrade my K30 body to a K3ii ??

Do I seem a little confused ???

Thanks.
03-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
No hit if it is from Canada !

Nick, I have no problem negotiating the price with you and would have preferred to keep the negotiation, etc., private.
My obvious concern is an expensive camera body that has an unknown history and a high shutter count either by the past owners or yourself. The KEH warranty is good for a couple of months, and unfortunately could have been upgraded for 2 1/2 more years if the extended warranty had been taken at the time of purchase. That is why I reached out to the Pentax Forum for advice from users of the 645Z.
03-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
Price difference - poster who owns the equipment posted here but it was removed as it was an advertisement for the sale.

So to summarize....the 645D with less than 5K on shutter, 75 mm lens, and flash unit...approx. $2500 US . My only concerns were the associated problems with the 645D shutter...so I therefore looked for a 645Z .

The 645Z that was posted earlier...I was able to get a lower quote from the owner for the 645Z body with 27K on the shutter, 55mm lens, and 150 lens for about $4700 US . My concerns were with the info I have....the owner purchased the camera 3 months ago from KEH..no extended warranty taken, no history of the 27 K (hobbyist or studio camera, any repairs done to it), no software-etc included. So would you have concerns buying this privately or none at all ???

Otherwise I was thinking of the K1 - but getting the correct digital lenses - not cheap. Or upgrade my K30 body to a K3ii ??

Thanks.

The one for the z seems like a good price, but then again i dont know the history of the camera. I ended up buying a used 645z last year. There was no warranty cant say ive been disappointed, especially with 55 and 150 being my main lenses used. The question that i have would be why did the person only have it for 3 months?

As far as the 645d, idk if you use live view but the 645d doesnt have it. Outside of that plenty of people have captured great pictures from that camera and havent had any issues with the shutter. Look at matts work or some of the older images from mike which are great.

K1 is nice, better lens selection, smaller, and you are able to get wider and more telephoto range

Just some of my thoughts

03-06-2017, 10:46 AM   #9

I think it really depends how you plan to use the camera. If you're going to be using strictly low ISOs and may possibly use a pano head if you want to get the resolution up for landscapes, or you're going to be using in a studio with strobes and will always be at ISO 100 then you can't argue with the price of the 645D.

If you want more versatility then I would go for the 645Z. The 150mm is one of my favourite lenses on it (suffers some CA, but is generally easily-correctable), and if this length suits you then it's a good price for the package. I've been surprised at how much I use mine inside at higher ISOs now, because the sensitivity and low noise floor allows me to do that. It wasn't on my list of things I was looking for when I got the camera, but it turned out to be an unexpected benefit.

I also like Live View for manually focusing on occasion.
03-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had a 645D for a little over a year and got a new one for what was a good price at the time. For low ISO shooting it has been great but there are times I covet the high ISO performance, Live View, and that tilting screen of the Z.
Still, I'm happy with my choice because the Z was too expensive for me and I wanted to bring my 645 rig out of the film era. What I need more than a Z body for that system is a lens wider than 35mm.
03-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
I'd decide on a budget first, then pick a format. You'd be better off with a K-1 than a 645D, IMO, but if you can swing the 645Z that would be a step up.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-06-2017, 12:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd decide on a budget first, then pick a format. You'd be better off with a K-1 than a 645D, IMO, but if you can swing the 645Z that would be a step up.
That's what happened to me, the K-1 killed my interest in 645D as a serious camera, but I'd still buy one at a great price just to tinker around with, use for comparison images, and so on and so on.
03-07-2017, 03:08 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Having had a 645D and K1, if I could get by with say a 35, 45-85 and a 120 lens then I would still pick a cheap 645D I think.

There is something about the files that I like. Invest in the right lenses and get a D, then stay in the system for the next replacement for the Z.

---------- Post added 03-07-17 at 08:08 PM ----------

Having had a 645D and K1, if I could get by with say a 35, 45-85 and a 120 lens then I would still pick a cheap 645D I think.

There is something about the files that I like. Invest in the right lenses and get a D, then stay in the system for the next replacement for the Z.
03-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote

---------- Post added 03-07-17 at 08:08 PM ----------

You can say that again!

But I do agree there is a certain something in those files that makes them a pleasure to work with. Not that the K-1 files don't have that but it's different. I still get mine out for the right shot or at least bring it along in the car in case the right situation presents itself.

Last edited by mattb123; 03-07-2017 at 11:30 AM.
03-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #15
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
You can say that again!

But I do agree there is a certain something in those files that makes them a pleasure to work with. Not that the K-1 files don;t have that but it's different. I still get mine out for the right shot or at least bring it along in the car in case the right situation presents itself.
Which is funny because that's what I do with he K-1 and K-3. It would seem, as soon as you're happy with one format, the next larger gives you something more.

Thanks god there's no 8x10 digital, yet.