Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-06-2017, 01:15 AM   #1

pentax 6x7 light meter help

When i flip the switch for the light meter it goes straight up over the + sign and does not come down to resting position until I turn the switch to off or the 15 secs are over. I can change aperture and shutter speed or go into a darker room or lighter room and it still goes straight up out of range every time. Any ideas why? I did take the TTL top off and put it back on once without taking the lens off. I don't know if this would cause the light meter to act this way. The meter stays up towards the top when off.

thanks,

tyler

03-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pumpkinandpeach Quote
When i flip the switch for the light meter it goes straight up over the + sign and does not come down to resting position until I turn the switch to off or the 15 secs are over. I can change aperture and shutter speed or go into a darker room or lighter room and it still goes straight up out of range every time. Any ideas why? I did take the TTL top off and put it back on once without taking the lens off. I don't know if this would cause the light meter to act this way. The meter stays up towards the top when off.

thanks,

tyler
Is the body still equipped with a chain properly connected to the aperture indexing ring? To check... remove the lens and the finder... look at the long slot towards the front of the bay... and notice the dark index tab towards 12 o'clock of the mount for the lens. When you slide the indexing tab of the mount, the index shuttle and chain should move and be observable in the long slot. If the tab on the TTL is not seated correctly, the meter may be stuck in bypass mode.
03-06-2017, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
First, let's reset the coupling between the TTL meter and the lens.

In this order:

1. Remove the TTL meter (push in the chrome buttons each side of the meter and carefully lift the meter off the camera body); then—
2. Remove the lens (this is what you didn't do in the procedure you described)
3. Replace the TTL meter, then—
4. Replace the lens.

As idisocyncratic and tedious as it sounds, this is the right way to ensure meter and lens couple correctly.
The process resets the meter coupling chain down inside the groove at the front of the base of the TTL prism mounting area (a corresponding pin is on the underside of the TTL meter itself). If it is not correctly coupled, the meter will not work correctly. If it is left like this, operation can stress the chain and break it. You then have a repair job to attend to, and it is not really a DIY task.

So go through the four steps above and see how that works out.

If the problem persists, it could well be a fault in the TTL meter itself.

Last edited by Silent Street; 03-06-2017 at 09:54 PM.
03-06-2017, 08:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the above does not work, try moving the lever on your lens from the AUTO to MAN position. My TTL meter was flaky and would only work if the lever was in the MAN position.

Phil.

03-07-2017, 03:50 AM   #5

Original Poster
I got it working. I think taking it apart and putting it back together the first time wasn't enough. I fiddled with the levers this time and it worked. Thanks.
02-06-2021, 11:32 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
Is the body still equipped with a chain properly connected to the aperture indexing ring? To check... remove the lens and the finder... look at the long slot towards the front of the bay... and notice the dark index tab towards 12 o'clock of the mount for the lens. When you slide the indexing tab of the mount, the index shuttle and chain should move and be observable in the long slot. If the tab on the TTL is not seated correctly, the meter may be stuck in bypass mode.
I've tried all suggestions and the meter on my 6x7 is maxed out at + and won't move.

Could the "on off" switch being stuck half way be the problem?
02-16-2021, 01:32 AM   #7

Junk the meter usage. Learn to use a separate meter.