Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2017, 02:57 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
You have mis-interpreted the picture. That's an FA 75/2.8 mounted on the Z, with an FA120 macro sitting in front of it.
Yes you are right. I had seen the picture only on the smartphone. Home on the big monitor you can see it clearly.

Greeting Gerd

03-14-2017, 11:43 PM - 2 Likes   #32

I tried a gfx today with the 63/2.8

Absolutely hated it. Wanted to like it!

Body feels horrible. Clunky, awkward in hands. With & without grip.

Feels cheap. The 63mm also looks & feels cheap. It looks like a $400 lens.

Viewfinder blackout ridiculous.

Cancelled pre order.
03-15-2017, 01:16 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gavincato Quote
I tried a gfx today with the 63/2.8

Absolutely hated it. Wanted to like it!

Body feels horrible. Clunky, awkward in hands. With & without grip.

Feels cheap. The 63mm also looks & feels cheap. It looks like a $400 lens.

Viewfinder blackout ridiculous.

Cancelled pre order.
Your experience mirrors mine. I really wanted to like it but it was very "toy like".

I am going to now buy an FA120 Macro and a DFA35. Happy with Pentax for now I think.
03-15-2017, 02:29 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Having worked with mirrorless medium format cameras before I can't say i'm at all surprised by the impressions listed here. All MF lenses are bigger compared to 35mm camera lenses and the mirrorless design philosophy really doesn't mesh well with the requirements of the glass, and the support hardware needed to get optimal image quality.

Of course the the mirrorless evangelists will crow on and on about the positive features and scorn anyone who casts a negative light on the new saviour camera. Fuji photographers are becoming an awful lot like overly entitled leicaphiles.

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
.Fotodiox is releasing 10(TEN)adapters for different mounts.I think theres enough glass to carry on with.
Why isn't Fuji making the adapters themselves? Fotodiox adapters are known for problems, but the real question is will they or will they not be making one for the Mamiya 7II mount? I know plenty of MF photographers that want to use the Sekor 43mm f/4.5, which is a remarkable piece of glass.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-15-2017 at 02:46 AM.
03-15-2017, 02:34 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Kipon are releasing 20 adapters,Fuji only do one for the H mount.

The 645 Mamiya will be catered for as well as Pentax 645 and 67.

Last edited by surfar; 03-15-2017 at 02:42 AM.
03-15-2017, 02:44 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 645 Mamiya will be catered
But not the mamiya 7 mount? well that is a pity.
03-15-2017, 02:51 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Its early days....I'm surprised there's so many so soon...perhaps the 7 mamiya will come along down the track.

03-15-2017, 02:53 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

.I'm surprised there's so many so soon
I'm not, it's called first rush marketing. What surprises me is that Fuji isn't making the adapters themselves, they do want this camera to sell well don't they?
03-15-2017, 02:58 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Well its out of stock at lots of places...next shipments are 7th April...GFX 50$$$$$$....its selling reasonably well.
03-15-2017, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

Hmm, shame about people's impressions of the camera, Fuji had the right idea on many points, but I guess there's a first time for everything. The 645D wasn't exactly a hot camera either, but it was all we had for entry-level MF digital at the time.

I still want Pentax to cover what remains of the 645's weak points, namely the lack of a modern 45mm, no replacement super-wide (preferably T/S), no really fast ~100mm portrait lens (like every other system has now), and a stabilized tele zoom in the range of 80-160mm or even -200mm if they can pull it off.
And all new lenses need to be stabilized if possible, it's desperately needed for medium format whenever you're off the tripod. Having to use 1/250th at 150mm seems like such a waste coming from small format where 1/160th would've been fine (on top of having to make do with slower apertures).
03-15-2017, 11:04 PM   #41

Which of the, are any /all of the modern Pentax 645 lenses, sized for 44x33 or all they all still generating a 645 image circle to work with legacy film camera as well as a future proof for a FF 645 digital camera. Like DX and FX on Nikon FF and APS-c.
03-15-2017, 11:23 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by denniswilliams Quote
Which of the, are any /all of the modern Pentax 645 lenses, sized for 44x33 or all they all still generating a 645 image circle to work with legacy film camera as well as a future proof for a FF 645 digital camera. Like DX and FX on Nikon FF and APS-c.

Pretty much all of the lenses except for the da28-45, dfa 55, and dfa 90 macro were from the film era. The da 28-45 was built specifically for the 44x33 sensor but from what some say would work on a larger sensor. The dfa 35 is the newest refresh with some new coatings. The mf could use some updates in the lens department.

03-16-2017, 06:15 AM   #43
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Pretty much all of the lenses except for the da28-45, dfa 55, and dfa 90 macro were from the film era. The da 28-45 was built specifically for the 44x33 sensor but from what some say would work on a larger sensor. The dfa 35 is the newest refresh with some new coatings. The mf could use some updates in the lens department.
If I'm not mistaken the 28-45 is the only lens that won't definitely work (isn't designed for) on a full 645 sensor/film plane, but even that you could still probably do, just with poor edge performance at wide apertures most likely. Even the new 55 and 90 are full 645. It's one of the nice things about the Pentax, you can buy into the system with just the body and a few hundred for old lenses. The manual focus 55 and 75 and 150 for instance, can all be had for a song and perform quite well. The 45 is kinda meh, but still cheap. I wish Pentax would make a good 'normal' - 63 or 65 and fast portrait lens (100/110 f/2 or even 2.8) like the new fuji system - and even hassy has the 65.
03-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Just handled both the new Fuji and the X1D at the UK Photography Show.....it was a zoo , so not much chance to get much time with either....however initial impression is that the Fuji's viewfinder blackout after shooting seems to last ages (how will that work in fashion, sports etc?) , and is VERY front heavy (unbalanced) with the 32-64mm zoom.....otherwise it seems to feel good in the hands....menus and external controls are a little different, and not so intuitive on reflection. The X1D is a minimalist work of art, and the one I tried seemed slow to respond to the touch-screen menus...image quality needed quite high ISO's (12800) to get a blur-free shot , but that was maybe also the environment in the bustle of the stand! Time to review again when the initial promotional dust has settled, and the bugs have been worked out....
03-21-2017, 07:03 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BostonUKshooter Quote
Just handled both the new Fuji and the X1D at the UK Photography Show.....it was a zoo , so not much chance to get much time with either....however initial impression is that the Fuji's viewfinder blackout after shooting seems to last ages (how will that work in fashion, sports etc?) , and is VERY front heavy (unbalanced) with the 32-64mm zoom.....otherwise it seems to feel good in the hands....menus and external controls are a little different, and not so intuitive on reflection. The X1D is a minimalist work of art, and the one I tried seemed slow to respond to the touch-screen menus...image quality needed quite high ISO's (12800) to get a blur-free shot , but that was maybe also the environment in the bustle of the stand! Time to review again when the initial promotional dust has settled, and the bugs have been worked out....

I keep missing Photography shows - often I'm in the city it's being held in and not able to get there - I've been in Cologne at the time of the last 4 Photokina shows - this time I was in Asia until the final day.

The blackout is really bad news and I think this will cost them sales once the excitement dies down. It will be completely unusable for sport, whereas the Z is useable at a push if you are shrewd with timing. I've seen the X1D in the flesh and it looked like a piece to be looked at not actually used.