Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
The whole Pentax and lens situation is simply baffling and frustrating. For such an historically prolific lens maker I find it hard to understand why they are so slow with bringing them out. Yes the old film screw drive lenses are very good for what they are but... The balance is totally wrong. It was always said that a photographers investment is in the glass so I don't see how a new body would bring any great fortune for Pentax. The 645z is an exceptional camera that is being stifulled by its own manufacturer IMO.

My personal wish is for UWA primes, no need for auto focus just high quality simple glass.

03-19-2017, 03:17 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The real problem for Pentax is not the mirror, it is the lack of investment in new glass and therefore the impression that the 645z is an unwanted step child that they inherited from Hoya.
Huh? That is the very first time I have ever seen or heard that assertion. Please point me to some other people saying this, otherwise I have to assume this is something that is only an impression to you.

---------- Post added 03-19-17 at 06:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by creative69 Quote
The whole Pentax and lens situation is simply baffling
mmmm...not really.
QuoteQuote:
and frustrating.
Well, some seem to me more frustrated than others. Some of us are pretty damn happy.
QuoteQuote:
For such an historically prolific lens maker
Is this true, really? Seems like Nikon and Canon both vie for that distinction. It's one I find overhyped, btw, but that's another argument for another time...
QuoteQuote:
I find it hard to understand why they are so slow with bringing them out.
I am not having that difficulty in understanding. Basically, Pentax's transition to digital has been a rougher one than some others. They also suffered some catastrophic revenue losses long before digital happened, which compromised the company. Then there was the Hoya disaster---and disaster was what it was. It's a minor miracle Pentax has survived, and brought out the products they have, some of them brilliant
QuoteQuote:
Yes the old film screw drive lenses are very good for what they are but... The balance is totally wrong.
I don't understand you here...
QuoteQuote:
It was always said that a photographers investment is in the glass so I don't see how a new body would bring any great fortune for Pentax. The 645z is an exceptional camera that is being stifulled by its own manufacturer IMO.

My personal wish is for UWA primes, no need for auto focus just high quality simple glass.
Mmm hmm...well, I think probably one or two lenses may be coming. And I think Pentax's limited resources have meant that they had to focus their efforts, and it was difficult to spread the resources out across multiple areas. So: 645Z, then K1, then KP, and meanwhile the Theta----off most of our radar screens but actually a more interesting device than you may think. It has surprised me, and now there may be a way to link it into a K1. That has gotten my attention professionally. They are chugging along...We'd probably all like to see them move faster, but there's the ideal world, and then there's the real world.
03-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Huh? That is the very first time I have ever seen or heard that assertion. Please point me to some other people saying this, otherwise I have to assume this is something that is only an impression to you.

---------- Post added 03-19-17 at 06:35 PM ----------

mmmm...not really. Well, some seem to me more frustrated than others. Some of us are pretty damn happy. Is this true, really? Seems like Nikon and Canon both vie for that distinction. It's one I find overhyped, btw, but that's another argument for another time... I am not having that difficulty in understanding. Basically, Pentax's transition to digital has been a rougher one than some others. They also suffered some catastrophic revenue losses long before digital happened, which compromised the company. Then there was the Hoya disaster---and disaster was what it was. It's a minor miracle Pentax has survived, and brought out the products they have, some of them brilliant I don't understand you here...Mmm hmm...well, I think probably one or two lenses may be coming. And I think Pentax's limited resources have meant that they had to focus their efforts, and it was difficult to spread the resources out across multiple areas. So: 645Z, then K1, then KP, and meanwhile the Theta----off most of our radar screens but actually a more interesting device than you may think. It has surprised me, and now there may be a way to link it into a K1. That has gotten my attention professionally. They are chugging along...We'd probably all like to see them move faster, but there's the ideal world, and then there's the real world.
I think I exaggerated. But since the Fuji GFX announcement, it has been repeated numerous times that Fuji is releasing three lenses with the camera and that Pentax has a hard time releasing a new lens for the 645z every couple of years. I think the lack of the DFA 25mm kind of hurts as well, as there are no true wide angle primes in the system right now.

But there is no doubt that Pentax has focused on the K-1 and glass for it, of late, and the medium format folks have had to wait as a result. The fact that Pentax doesn't pre-announce stuff doesn't help the waiting either.
03-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the lack of the DFA 25mm kind of hurts as well, as there are no true wide angle primes in the system right now.

But there is no doubt that Pentax has focused on the K-1 and glass for it, of late, and the medium format folks have had to wait as a result. The fact that Pentax doesn't pre-announce stuff doesn't help the waiting either.
In these cases we agree completely. Eliminating and not replacing the 25 is especially mysterious. Pre-announcing can be tricky, of course, but it seems to me that it isn't rocket science to manage it properly---balancing between letting people know something is in the works while managing the date expectations. Why the secrecy? I can see certain instances where it makes sense, but what competitor would jump this claim?

03-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
In these cases we agree completely. Eliminating and not replacing the 25 is especially mysterious. Pre-announcing can be tricky, of course, but it seems to me that it isn't rocket science to manage it properly---balancing between letting people know something is in the works while managing the date expectations. Why the secrecy? I can see certain instances where it makes sense, but what competitor would jump this claim?
I think it is a little like my kids when I tell them that we will be going to the zoo next week. Every day they ask me, "Is it today." Same is true if Pentax indicates that 'x' lens is coming, but doesn't indicate when.

If Pentax is planning to release a particular lens, but don't have any fixed plans for when it will be done, they are probably better of not announcing it all. If they know it will be done and available for order as of August, then it makes more sense to announce it. Unfortunately, I think this means that there probably aren't many medium format lenses that are particularly close to release.